Number of IP'S

How many investment properties do you have?

Votes: 24 11.2%

Votes: 35 16.3%

Votes: 24 11.2%

Votes: 33 15.3%

Votes: 25 11.6%

Votes: 16 7.4%

Votes: 14 6.5%

Votes: 7 3.3%

Votes: 8 3.7%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 11-15

• 16-20

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • >20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trying it again, another poll - the number should not include your PPOR. Oops...will also have to ask Sim if I can add a ">20 ip's" option to the poll.

GSJ

Last edited:
GSJ said:
Trying it again, another poll - the number should not include your PPOR. Oops...will also have to ask Sim if I can add a ">20 ip's" option to the poll.

GSJ

Geezzzz GSJ, you and your Polls.

Hmmmmmmmmm now should I start a poll to decide whether GSJ should keep starting polls. ;)

Do any of the people with many IP's ever have to stop and think about how many they have?

I could imagine my thoughts would be something along the lines of this:
'Errr, I think I bought another one last month, add to that the other 2, and take the 1 I sold last week, that makes errrr, 20?'.

BR

I have 12, so not 20 but still even with 12 (and a PPOR) I forgot for about 4 months that I had 12 IP's, thinking I had 12 properties all up. Then I thought I would really like a dozen rentals, not 11 but counted them and thought "hang on, there's 13 here including the PPOR!".

I am sure I remember reading somebody on this forum had about 65 properties (believable??), if that is the case there is no way you could possibly remember all of them....

At time of this post, just under 60% had 3 rentals or under, only 2% had 20 or more....interesting. Have read that only 0.5% of population have more than 3 rental properties.

Cheers,

Timbo

Hey Everyone,

We have 2 IP's & a block of land we are trying to develop into IP 3&4.

Given I couldn't answer 2 and a half, I opted for 3.

Thinks to herself.....maybe I'm just going along with the crowd (20% answering 3 so far) :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Bantam Roosta said:
Do any of the people with many IP's ever have to stop and think about how many they have?
BR

Hi BR,

Had the very conversation today with my lovely wife. Had to count on my fingers and toes as she said where each one is... but what about? "We sold that one and the other one and bought the three this year".

Lucky the missus has her finger on the pulse. By the way she answered the poll, but my answer would have still been in the correct band. :p

Regards

Andrew

had 3 but sold 1 last wednesday, so I voted 2, but the settlement cheque hasn't cleared yet, so maybe I should have said 3!

What's the objective of the poll ??

Is there any reliable correlation between number of IP's owned and any other aspect you wish to troll over ??

Do the people with 1 or 2 feel inferior or superior to the people with 20+. Should they feel anything ?? What about the 20+ folks, do you feel superior or humbled at what the figures don't reveal ??

How do you compare these two folks ??

1. A elderly lady who owns only 1 property, but it is a fully paid off office block in the CBD worth 15MM, producing 1.5MM clear nett rent every year.

2. A gung-ho young chap who owns 130 properties, worth on average 100K each, producing $ 120 p.w. gross each. Portfolio mortgaged to about $ 9MM.

By this poll, the chap would clearly be a guru, and the elderly lady a completely green novice...but sometimes all of these stats that people just lerv to troll through and analyse don't amount to a hill of beans.

Just my thoughts.

Dazzling, I certainly agree with what you're saying.

This is not really meant or appropriate for analysis, just my curiosity.

Also it's more I guess to get a better idea of the people on this forum and whether, eg, majority don't own any IP's and are just starting off or whether there are some, or a lot, who have have had experience with many property purchases and can speak from their experiences and help others here.

GSJ

Dazzling said:
What's the objective of the poll ??

Is there any reliable correlation between number of IP's owned and any other aspect you wish to troll over ??

Do the people with 1 or 2 feel inferior or superior to the people with 20+. Should they feel anything ?? What about the 20+ folks, do you feel superior or humbled at what the figures don't reveal ??

How do you compare these two folks ??

1. A elderly lady who owns only 1 property, but it is a fully paid off office block in the CBD worth 15MM, producing 1.5MM clear nett rent every year.

2. A gung-ho young chap who owns 130 properties, worth on average 100K each, producing $ 120 p.w. gross each. Portfolio mortgaged to about $ 9MM.

By this poll, the chap would clearly be a guru, and the elderly lady a completely green novice...but sometimes all of these stats that people just lerv to troll through and analyse don't amount to a hill of beans.

Just my thoughts.
Asking questions/running a poll to satisfy one's curiousity (as GSJ so politely defended) is hardly troll behaviour.

Raising/stirring the post (pot?) :eek: with comments which challenges people to question (or indeed, express) their "feelings" of possible inferiority (at owning only a few IPs) as opposed to those of superiority (at owning say >20) has a far greater potential of sparking a heated debate IMO.

Luckily however, 99.9% of people here at SS are mature enough to accept/treat this (and other) polls as they were intended, as nothing more than as a matter of interest to its creator and/or as a simple point of reference for open amicable discussion. :)

But then, that's "just my thoughts" too I guess...... :p ;)

Cheers,

Jo

p.s. Welcome back Dazz, after your last post, I thought you'd abandoned us forever!! :p

Its interesting to see that the majority of the poll show 3 Ips or less.

Maybe its because those with 3 or less have reached their borrow capacity ceilings (either monetary or psychologically) and still working on a way through it, or greed has set in and they've sold to realise a quick gain, or they're still relatively new in the aquistion stage.

Peoples thoughts??

Summary of figures so far with 120 votes...

0-5 IP's - 72%
6-10 IP's - 20%
11-15 IP's - 4%
16+ IP's - 4%

GSJ

Rixter said:
Its interesting to see that the majority of the poll show 3 Ips or less.

Maybe its because those with 3 or less have reached their borrow capacity ceilings (either monetary or psychologically) and still working on a way through it, or greed has set in and they've sold to realise a quick gain, or they're still relatively new in the aquistion stage.

Peoples thoughts??

Perhaps 3-5 the ceiling for a single income, 6-10 for dual income? We started to hit the (conventional) limits at 11....

Cheers,

The Y-man

GSJ said:
Summary of figures so far with 120 votes...

0-5 IP's - 72%
6-10 IP's - 20%
11-15 IP's - 4%
16+ IP's - 4%

Fyi, this sort of poll has been done before:

February 2005.

Less than 5 - 104 votes - 58.76%
Between 5 and 10 - 57 votes - 32.20%
Between 10 and 15 - 8 votes - 4.52%
More than 15 - 8 votes - 4.52%

Total votes - 177.

January 2004.

Zero IPs - 2 votes - 1.75%
1-2 IPs - 29 votes - 25.44%
3-5 IPs - 41 votes - 35.96%
5-10 - 24 votes - 21.05%
10-20 - 10 votes - 8.77%
20+ - 8 votes - 7.02%

Total votes - 114.

And in November 2004, we were asked how many IPs we would like to have:

1-10 - 36 votes - 33.33%
11-20 - 17 votes - 15.74%
21-30 - 16 votes - 14.81%
31-50 - 4 votes - 3.70%
50plus - 35 votes - 32.41%

Total votes - 108.

Obviously the categories change and the respondents change (although a fair number of currently active members have been here for all of the polls I've linked).

One thing does seem for sure though - if over 30% of forumites want to have more than 50 IPs, then alot of us have alot more buying to do.

Mark ;)

The Y-man said:
Perhaps 3-5 the ceiling for a single income, 6-10 for dual income? We started to hit the (conventional) limits at 11....
I think it's all about experience & structuring and perhaps time in the market (creating equity) rather than income. There would be a great number of people who responded who have only just started on their journey. There would also be some who have reached their servicability with only a couple as they have a very large shortfall to pay.

We have only ever had one income & have many IP's. We have had a high income for the past 4 years, but prior to that we had a very low income & had amassed 5 IP's. Two of those were in Sydney the other 3 interstate. We have bought quite a few more in the past 4 years as the servicablity has been easier. Our portfolio has a mix of -CF & +CF. In the early days we targeted only +CF as our income was very low & we couldn't afford to have any shortfall. As the wages increased we were more open to negative gearing.

Back