Asset Allocation

Hi All,

Here's something I thought might be interesting to some of you :)

Our asset allocation as at 13/1....

Net Equity

Income type funds (inc. Commercial Property Trusts): 21.3%
Direct Residential Property: 46%
Direct Shares: 3.1%
Growth type funds: 10%
Cash/Gold: 3.2%
Super: 16.4%

Gross Value

Income type funds (inc. Commercial Property Trusts): 6%
Direct Residential Property: 66%
Direct Shares: 11%
Growth type funds: 11%
Cash/Gold: 1%
Super: 4%

Note: the Direct Residential Property includes PPOR.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Interesting

Far from an expert on allocation but it's very interesting to me.

From what you have posted (and depending on where you are in your wealth creation process) it might be prudent to consider the issue of correlation.

You are very heavy in property and shares as are a lot of people on Ssoft I predict. I imagine the performance of your funds and general property would have an unhealthy (if/when the economy turns) connection.

For a defensive scenario I would be looking at perhaps some exposure to Commodities, the whole world just thinks gold and oil but there are actually other commodities out there as well. I have set up an account to let me get at the physical commodity markets directly rather than just investing in companies that produce them. Also exposure to foreign equities is another idea that most people first think of, though I have read that world stock markets are becoming increasingly linked, and there are a lot better ideas for diversification out there I think.

One scenario that everyone needs to think about is what will happen if the world goes into a recession as people like George Soros are predicting for 2007 A possibility where both shares and property could suffer in Aus for example.

One expert I can fully suggest reading for ideas regarding asset allocation is Random Roger

Andrew_A said:
Far from an expert on allocation but it's very interesting to me.

From what you have posted (and depending on where you are in your wealth creation process) it might be prudent to consider the issue of correlation.

You are very heavy in property and shares as are a lot of people on Ssoft I predict. I imagine the performance of your funds and general property would have an unhealthy (if/when the economy turns) connection.

For a defensive scenario I would be looking at perhaps some exposure to Commodities, the whole world just thinks gold and oil but there are actually other commodities out there as well. I have set up an account to let me get at the physical commodity markets directly rather than just investing in companies that produce them. Also exposure to foreign equities is another idea that most people first think of, though I have read that world stock markets are becoming increasingly linked, and there are a lot better ideas for diversification out there I think.

One scenario that everyone needs to think about is what will happen if the world goes into a recession as people like George Soros are predicting for 2007 A possibility where both shares and property could suffer in Aus for example.

One expert I can fully suggest reading for ideas regarding asset allocation is Random Roger

Actually and ungodly portion of that growth fund allocation is in international hedge funds..... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Well almost 2 years on....

Net Equity

Income type funds (inc. Commercial Property Funds): 10.8%
Direct Residential Property: 49.6%
Direct Shares: 5.8%
Growth type funds: 12.4%
Cash/Gold: 6%
Super: 15.5%

Gross Value

Income type funds (inc. Commercial Property Funds): 12%
Direct Residential Property: 43%
Direct Shares: 22%
Growth type funds: 18%
Cash/Gold: 1%
Super: 4%

Note: the Direct Residential Property includes PPOR.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back