Pascoe Vale South (VIC)

As I continue to do my research in the areas surrounding Niddrie/Essendon, I have come across the Pascoe Vale South pocket, which my hubbie & I really like (especially the Coonan's Hill area).

With prices at the bottom end comparable to homes we were considering in East Keilor/Airport West, I am now trying to shed some more light on the place.

Does anyone have any first hand experiences with Pascoe Vale South that they can share?? How does Pascoe Vale compare with PVSouth??

Any insights would be most welcome. :eek:

Hi...

I lived at Roxburgh Park for a year or so going back a few years which is close to Pascoe Vale. Its close to Broadmeadows abit too close for my liking but hey Eddie MaQuire grew up there and look at him now. What about Meadow Heights? I always thought that was a nice area and directly opposite Roxburgh Park and Roxburgh Park itself is nice or Avondale Heights which is close to the Police dog training academy...also don't mind Tullamarine area especially in Streets like Banksia Grove and the surrounds - have a friend how bought two houses in that area is living in one and renting the other out for $260 p/w its a standard 3 bdr one bathroom large backyard and he paid 220k for it - not a bad rental return.

Just my thoughts...which might mean jack all :)

Kate

suburbangirl said:
How does Pascoe Vale compare with PVSouth??
Much of a muchness!! Although, PV itself is more on the Broadie side of town (which unfortunately still has the negative stigma attached to it, and...that it will eventually shake, but it may be long after people are asking Eddie who??)

http://propertydata.reiv.com.au/trendchart/

Here is some (dated) but interesting info that may help shed some light on PVSouth.

Go for PV south, it's nearer to the CBD and on the Brunswick side of town...the cafe latte sippers tend to like it better there!! :p ;)

Cheers,

Jo

All feedback appreciated!! :)

Jo, thanks for those links, I'd already seen the first one, but trying to get as much info atm as we can, so we are as knowledgeable as possible when it comes time to buy! :)

Even though Pascoe Vale South is 'officially' bordered by O'Hea St in the North, hubbie doesn't want to look anywhere north past Bell St, as he considers that Pascoe Vale, and not actually Pascoe Vale South! :rolleyes: I'm not sure I totally agree with this, but I can *sorta* see his point...

With our daughter's name down to go to school in Essendon, we really want something close, but as we can't afford Essendon we are looking as hard as we can for the nicest next-best thing!

No problem Suburbangirl,

Sorry, in the first link I thought I had selected the different areas, but obviously it discards them when you `cut and paste'!! :eek:

Nearly forgot one more: http://www.almarex.com.au/Rental Report Compendium, September Quarter 2002 - June Quarter 2004.pdf (see beyond p.12 for more comprehensive breakdown (ie Coburg-PV Sth) and other suburbs).

Again, an old link but may help you to see how rentals have changed for different areas of Melbourne over the past few years. Yes, I know you are looking at a PPOR for your family and not a rental property, but I believe even when buying a house to "live in" you should be famliar with how the rental market trend has moved/is moving, and not just simply what percentage of owner-occupiers there are as opposed to people renting in the area.

Anyway, always worth remembering too, nothing is "gospel" / "set in stone" ; all data (regardless of its source) is out of date the minute it is put out on display. :eek:

Essendon is a great choice, but yes it is not as affordable as some others you've mentioned. That's okay too, but if you can, try to steer clear of anything "broadie" side; the growth may be there eventually, but IMO it is likely to take a very loooooooooooooooooong time!! :(

All the best with your search. :)

Cheers,

Jo

Last edited:
Interesting selection criteria......and to think I wasted all my time looking at places near water and/or parklands!!! :eek:

Actually Monopoly Avondale Heights is within close proximity to a huge reservoir and parklands with bbq's & picnic areas, nice place, yep its also opposite the Police dog academy, which in hindsite was a silly thing to write but it was 10.30pm and I had a few wines by that stage. :eek:

Attwood is a nice area and around that place or even Maribynong, if you look on the Melways Suburbiangirl look at Hartnett Court area in Essendon/ Ascot Vale...its relatively affordable in my opinion, again maybe not others...

Kate :)

Justkate said:
Interesting selection criteria......and to think I wasted all my time looking at places near water and/or parklands!!! :eek:

Actually Monopoly Avondale Heights is within close proximity to a huge reservoir and parklands with bbq's & picnic areas, nice place, yep its also opposite the Police dog academy, which in hindsite was a silly thing to write but it was 10.30pm and I had a few wines by that stage. :eek:

Attwood is a nice area and around that place or even Maribynong, if you look on the Melways Suburbiangirl look at Hartnett Court area in Essendon/ Ascot Vale...its relatively affordable in my opinion, again maybe not others...

You aren't referring to Greenvale Reservoir are you????If so,it is a looong way from Avondale Heights!Way too far to take walk the dog there!

Tools

Justkate said:
Actually Monopoly Avondale Heights is within close proximity to a huge reservoir and parklands with bbq's & picnic areas, nice place.
Yes I know the picnic areas you are referring to. I remember working at KBT (Kangan Batman Tafe Avondale Heights campus) with some troublesome students who used to hang around the parks, smoking dope and throwing home-made mini-explosives into the lake. Real little charmers they were too!! :eek: :(

Avondale Heights is not an area I would choose to live in, simply because it butts up to Sunshine's less desirable northern sector, but hey, that's me. It has it's good spots, but I'm afraid I can't see enough of them to warrant buying there.

Cheers,

Jo

Oh ok...sorry I haven't been there since I lived at Roxburgh Park going on 10 years ago now... The area I'm thinking of Monopoly is the one opposite the Police Dog Academy on Mickelam Rd, (yeh spelt that wrong)I'm not %100 sure if its Avondale Heights or Attwood? I always thought it was ok but maybe because it was just starting out when I saw it?

Ignore me Suburbiangirl - I know Perth/Williamstown and this side of the city heaps better.

Justkate said:
Oh ok...sorry I haven't been there since I lived at Roxburgh Park going on 10 years ago now... The area I'm thinking of Monopoly is the one opposite the Police Dog Academy on Mickelam Rd, (yeh spelt that wrong)I'm not %100 sure if its Avondale Heights or Attwood? I always thought it was ok but maybe because it was just starting out when I saw it?

Ignore me Suburbiangirl - I know Perth/Williamstown and this side of the city heaps better.

Well Roxburgh Park would have been like paradise in comparison, besides it (Avondale Heights) probably has gotten better since I was KBT (also some years back now) and if I had to choose between Sunshine Nth and Avondale Heights, I would probably opt for AH (making sure though that it was as far in, away from the SN border as possible) as it offers greater scope for positive change.

BTW...your opinion doesn't warrant being "ignored" you are entitled to it, whether people agree with it or not, and I'm sure Suburbangirl is appreciative of you sharing same. :)

Cheers,

Jo

hi Monopoly,

having grown up in Avondale Hts i had never even considered Sunshine close to A.Hts because its over the river and its still a fair drive to get to Sunshine.

So i dont think you can even compare them.

Living there for the 1st 25 years of my life,it was very easy living(trouble free)
and only a short drive to the city.

I think those kids have left you with a bad impression,unfortunately.:eek:

Justkate said:

You are correct.The dog squad is in Mickleham Rd Attwood.The only problem with this area is that it is right under the flight path for Melbourne Airport.Having said that,I have a mate who lives up the road in Greenvale (near the reservoir),and he rarely hears the noise of the planes.

Tools

I reckon Pascoe Vale South is a great area, and likely to see some increase, when you look at prices the same distance out on the the side of the city.

Cheers
mono

beech said:
hi Monopoly,

having grown up in Avondale Hts i had never even considered Sunshine close to A.Hts because its over the river and its still a fair drive to get to Sunshine.

So i dont think you can even compare them.

Living there for the 1st 25 years of my life,it was very easy living(trouble free)
and only a short drive to the city.

I think those kids have left you with a bad impression,unfortunately.:eek:
Hey Beech,

I don't have a problem with AH, Sunshine or any area per se. Sure, there are stigmas attached to many Melbourne suburbs but I don't personally subscribe to any. However, although I don't discriminate (sheesh I can't do that; I've lived in some pretty dodgy burbs myself over the years) :eek: when it comes to pinpointing areas of growth, I can't simply ignore what people are saying about area X, Y or Z, otherwise I risk overshooting my market!!

AH is not close in proximity to Sunshine, but it is still relatively close to Sunshine North which is still slow to shake the stigma attached to it over the last few decades. When I say "close" I don't necessarily mean within spitting distance, but rather what lies beyond its immediate borders, and as Sunshine North pretty much on AH's back door, I'd class that as "close"!!

Sorry if I gave you the impression AH is a "must miss" best avoided at all cost. Right now, I wouldn't buy there, but give it 5 or 10 years and I might be singing a different tune. All I am saying is, if you're going to buy there, be AWARE of the negatives as well as the positives. After all, negatives and positives can balance each other out, but it may take a looooooooooong time to do so!! ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Last edited:
Fair enough Jo:)

As a builder though i will continue to build townhouses and hold with confidence.

Im a little bit impatient as a traditional buy and holder so i shall force the issue with development.;)

Back