new web site

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.propertyknowhow.com.au Port 80

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later. Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.propertyknowhow.com.au Port 80

I got this message too.....what web hoster are you with????
whoever it is, seems you didn't pay enough to cover the website music download everytime someone loaded the site...

May I suggest you talk to SS's resident web hoster, http://www.quadrahosting.com.au/

hi fatboy
what free advertising
I must admit that I'm one of these people that don't mind people advertising there business because we have to get business
but for me I must admit I see it from a very different point of view
there is the line between have a look at my site and tell me what you think and advertising
if nigel was trying to advertise to me via this method sorry he failed as I am not in the market for that product.
and may not look at that site again unless asked.
this is a bulliten board and you do need at some time to ask other people can you have alook at this and give an opinion.
there are grey lines all over the place but maybe I'm wrong put I don't think this is close to that grey line.
I have no problem with asking for assiatance but maybe I'm wrong I have been a few times in my life

very slow on dialup, (simulator)
there are javascripts repeated on every page, and styles redefined on every page
place all the javascripts in an external .js file referenced in the header
Place all the style definitions into the external .css file referenced in the header. these files will only be loaded once, instead of every page refresh
the sound is already taken care of
Where possible avoid graphic images. where txt will do (graphic 16KB text 40B (400 times faster))
each of those different graphic images, mortgage, conveyancing, removalists, insurance, header, is loaded separately on each page, adding hugely to server traffic, which on one of the two links was bandwidth capped and and locked, slowing down the page load, making it difficult for visually impaired to use screen readers / tty terminals (voice output from text) to access the site
create a single logo image with no text, and type white text over red ground for each heading, reduce image load to once.
use the same image scaled, and a red single pixel bar stretched to create your header.

red is very likely to drive visitors away

Well you asked :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously Nigel... I think you should remove all graphics in case someone has graphics turned off in their browser. Remove all sound because it's a waste of bandwidth for deaf people. Absolutely no flash in case it triggers an epileptic fit. Remove all of the colour to cater for colour blind people. Make sure you only use Times New Roman font, because you know how people who discriminate against fonts can just leave in seconds. Make sure you have no links; God forbid people have to click on something. Don't even dare use JavaScript; it's the work of the devil! You must remove all HTML code; remember that someone, somewhere in the outback might be on a 0.001 Baud modem. Last but not least, don't put any words on the site because someone might get offended or try to sue you.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

Nigel, sure a few things aren't to peoples' tastes, and it's good the music has been removed, but all in all, I think it's fit for purpose.

Hi

There have always been two sets of rules on this forum.....

advertising is not allowed.
mentioning your business three times a week is allowed though

Sure, it is not fair. Nor, is it right.
But, the forum has been like that for a while now.
Pity, isn't it.

Dale

FatBoy said:
I just want to know how you blatantly get away with free advertising ?? :rolleyes:

opinions

Frankly I keep hereing the same rubbish from people like Dale. I asked what people think about my web site because I was interested in what people think. I have never actually picked up a single client from Somersoft. most of what I do is try to contribute to the discussion. If I got told off for Spamming it was a long time ago. For people such as Dale to act as though they have no vested interest in posting here is nonsense.

I really do not care what people think, I spend most of my time studying the markets. I am currently looking to move to the United States to run a Real Estate company there. I state again I asked the question about my web site because I was interested what peple here thought. If all I get is small minded responses please do not bother

whatever

The remakes were made because the comments including yours have no bearing to the posting. I asked people what they thought about my site. Instead I get smart rearks from Dale and you about spamming.

Nigel,

I think you're entitled to ask others to critique your website.
I don't see it as spam.

Agree with all the suggestions so far re your site.

hi nigel
I agree with asking for peoples opinion and I have alot greyer line then most on the spamming subject and I think a few people have given alot of information with regards to the site but for me if you ask for assistance or advice and that assistance or advice is not what you want to hear or some one post something that you don't like then it ok by me to attack the statement or the content but would hold off the attack of the person for giving that opinion.
thats my own view I like to attack a subject but don't see much point in attacking a person or persons because at the end of the day you are in a no win situation.
for me I find simple good looking, text sites that are the easiest to up load and view.
the aim for me of a commercial site is to get people to read and understand it and come back.
remember we have somewhere in the range of 2 billion people on the planet and there maybe a couple that even
don't agree with me.
disagreements are ok in any forum.
my .002

point of view

I do not have a problem with people expressing a view on my web site good or bad. I did it to see what people liked. I will take views into consideration. Everyone hated the music, it is gone. I am happy to listen to other peoples point of view. My point is that I was being attached because of spamming. My post had nothing to do with spamming. I think that their are people on this forum who have their own agenda. It is rare that I will have a go at anyone personally.

Hi Nigel

I apologise if you found my comments offensive. However, I wish you to know that they werre not directed at you, at all.

Instead, they were directed at other people on this forum who do as I suggested....find ways to mention their business on a very regular basis.

Dale

Nigel Kibel said:
The remakes were made because the comments including yours have no bearing to the posting. I asked people what they thought about my site. Instead I get smart rearks from Dale and you about spamming.

Hi Dale

I am sorry if I have wrongfully jumped to conclusions.

My aim to is add to the debate and help educate some people on areas such as the united states. I am not trying to sell properties in the U8nited States rather warn people on the importance of carrying out the correct research

DaleGG said:
Instead, they were directed at other people on this forum who do as I suggested....find ways to mention their business on a very regular basis.
Guilty.

But for me, it's to contribute something about business. The amount of business that's come my way through the forum has been miniscule.

Hi Nigel

No problems at all. I should have been more specific.

I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Dale

Nigel Kibel said:
I am sorry if I have wrongfully jumped to conclusions.

My aim to is add to the debate and help educate some people on areas such as the united states. I am not trying to sell properties in the U8nited States rather warn people on the importance of carrying out the correct research

I have to say that I HATE spammers. However, in Nigel's case to ask the opinion of a web-site, in my opinion, is not spam. If I had a Business I would do the same, as where else can you get such a wonderful mix of opinions on how to improve it. On the otherhand, if he were to say, for instance, check out my website & come to my upcoming seminar, I believe that would be overstepping the mark.

Just my opinions.

Back