Operation Cochrane

Ok guys, between being a sook and renovating Ive finally had time to take some photos.

So much has been happening over the last few weeks im not quite sure where to start.

A few things that have taken place

The tiler is in and has quoted $3000 to do the whole house. Kitchen splashback, dining and kitchen floors, living area, hall, laundry, toilet, and bathroom. I know the guy doing the tiling. He's croation. Funny bugger. Seems to be always swearing and throwing tools around. Can be loud and annoying at times but does a fantastic job, is very fussy and is always on time. I can usually keep him quiet by offering pizza or a beer. :D

Anyhoo...

Have completely painted the inside of the house, so thats finished. I think we spent about $600 on paint alone there, although not quite sure - would have to check the receipts. Looks great, cant wait to see the floor tiling done. Picked up a new front door from Bunnings. Its timber which we plan to paint a very exciting colour - you will have to see it when its up and done. Heres the design and look of the door, although it certainly wont be this colour!

Hume Doors

The front door set us back $200 bucks, and another few bucks for paint. Weve also had two windows fixed that were broken (probably lawn mowers) and had the entrance glass fitted with acid etch glass to match the new front door. Total cost for the new glass - $800 from Aussie Glass here in Brisbane. I probably wouldnt recommend them as they got it wrong twice before getting it right a third time round with firstly the wrong type of glass then the wrong measurements. Oh well - didnt cost us anything extra - just had to wait a bit longer. You can see the new glass in the images below - although it still looks god awful against the unpainted frame and crappy brickwork.

Had the bathroom fully resheeted, waterproofed and retiled. Fitted the new bath and had the plumber in to fix up some issues with the plumbing. Didnt get any photos of the plumbing in place under the bath, but let me tell you - it had more twists and turns in it than a hitchcock film. The plumber looked at it and said "Thats f*cked!" :D ...I nodded in agreement.

So had the plumbing fixed, the bath fitted and also repositioned the shower waste out from the wall an additional 300mm to accommodate the new large tiles. Also had to lift the floor wastes an extra 30mm to allow for the new bedding of which has been done on the floor. This was done in order to place a hopless shower within the bathroom. Im hoping it looks great once finished. Picked up a vanity from Bunnings also for $200 and decided to replace the handles as they looked cheap. New chrome handles cost bugger all and I think they will lift the look of the vanity substantially.

Ok outside the house...

This has been absolutely back breaking stuff. Replacing the retaining walls - 4 days straight so far of breaking up concrete, digging holes, swearing, throwing crowbars and wiping my forehead like that guy in the solo commercials.

Picked up 52 new sleepers at a total cost of $11 each to replace the whole wall. Have taken some photos for everyone - its really coming together nicely.

Thats about it for the moment. Once the retaining wall is completed, new fences will go in, some landscaping, repair and paint the roof and start rendering outside.

Everything is moving along nicely and were beginning to really notice some changes.

RJ

Attachments

• bathroom1.jpg
    bathroom1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 178
  • bathroom2.jpg
    bathroom2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 174
  • new_glass.jpg
    new_glass.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 160
More shots....

Attachments

• retaining_wall.jpg
    retaining_wall.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 149
  • shower_waste.jpg
    shower_waste.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 137
  • steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 216
What's a hopless shower RJ?
RJ, you missed that answer completely.

Haven't you seen that ad for beer, where they're shooting stuff into the air to make beer? Where they finally have huge showers of beer falling on them?

Well, a hopless shower is the one when they forget to shoot the hops into the air.

I guess I'm just a hopless case,

RJ, you missed that answer completely.

Haven't you seen that ad for beer, where they're shooting stuff into the air to make beer? Where they finally have huge showers of beer falling on them?

Well, a hopless shower is the one when they forget to shoot the hops into the air.

I guess I'm just a hopless case,

Oh that was bad Geoff! :D

RJ

Hello everyone, just thought Id share some more photos of the house with you all. The tiler is in and doing the flooring. Its really beginning to look like a house again.

Here they are...

Attachments

• floor_tiles1.jpg
    floor_tiles1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 164
  • floor_tiles2.jpg
    floor_tiles2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 152
  • floor_tiles3.jpg
    floor_tiles3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 146
And some more....including a coke bottle we found in the retaining wall :D

RJ

Attachments

• floor_tiles4.jpg
    floor_tiles4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 148
  • floor_tiles5.jpg
    floor_tiles5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 136
  • coke_bottle.jpg
    coke_bottle.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 136
And lastly...a shot of the kitchen and the house before we start making cosmetic changes.

RJ

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 170
  • kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 186
RJ,

I agree, looks awesome! Well done!! To save me reading back through the whole 16 pages, can you fill me in on whether you did the tiling yourself in the end? I remember suggesting you give it a go and I think you said you were going to. If you did, and that's all your own work, then a huge well done!!

Feels great being able to get down and dirty and do it yourself doesn't it. I know of a few people on this forum, well one at least, who don't appreciate the value in this. I did a lot of work around my own house and pride myself on my carpentry skills. One investor mate just said: "What's the point, I just hire tradies to do that", which sort of misses the point. Its as much about a sense of achievement and learning a new skill as it is about saving the tens of thousands of dollars. Well for me it is anyway.

Cheers,
Michael.

Gday Michael,
No didnt end up doing the tiling ourselves. Ended up getting somone in to do it. Total cost $3000. Not finished yet though, still have the toilet, laundry and part of the hallway left to do.

RJ

Gday Michael,
No didnt end up doing the tiling ourselves. Ended up getting somone in to do it. Total cost $3000. Not finished yet though, still have the toilet, laundry and part of the hallway left to do.

RJ
Ah.... That'll be why it looks so professional hey! :p

Still a great result mate. Never been brave enough to do tiling myself either but desperately want to give it a go.

Cheers,
Michael.

Yeah I was watching the tiler yesterday actually. I reckon Id be comfortable with giving a small area a go, perhaps a dining area or laundry or something. I think its more about preparing the initial layout and ensuring correct spacing and fitment.

Thing is though, I dont intend on renovating again any time soon.

Got another project up my sleeve already - and should be a big one! :D

RJ

Last edited:
Nice finish to the floors

The end panel view of the kitchen makes it look like it was placed on top of the tiles,
if that is not the case let me say that the tiler has done one hell of a good job.
As an aside was it possible to have dropped the wall tiles ( cutting down the row of tiles that start on the floor) to eliminate the small cut over the bath?

Gerd

Gday gerd,
Yes the kitchen cabinets were raised slightly in order to ensure that the bench top supported the window frame - hence the gap under the kicks. Turned out well actually as the tiles slid neatly underneath.

As for the small sections of tile above the bath, if you look closely it follows the contours and lines of the surrounding tiles.

RJ

RJ

As for the small sections of tile above the bath, if you look closely it follows the contours and lines of the surrounding tiles.

Could the tile setout have been done in sutch a way that the small section above the bath was eliminated . Allowing fore a full tile to start from the top of the bath.

Gerd

RJ

Could the tile setout have been done in sutch a way that the small section above the bath was eliminated . Allowing fore a full tile to start from the top of the bath.

Gerd

Not sure Gerd. Perhaps. He started in the shower, using full tiles and just worked around the remainder of the bathroom from there. I get what you are saying though, does stand out a little.

Oh well - no biggy.

RJ

Back