Selling A House, How To Choose The Right Agent/agency?

Hi,

We are selling our house around September, October as we think around that time would be good as market will be busy, our house is in Logan area.
We have sold our investment property early this year and it took to long to sell because of going to a right agent but in a wrong agency. ( I said right agent as he was selling very well with his former agency but when we were ready to sell he moved to an old fashioned agency)

This time we think we are a bit better in choosing an agent, but we know that we need to learn a lot more and I am sure there are many here who's done it many times.
Can you please share your different strategies to choose the right agency and the right agent?
like what questions to ask, how to know if they can get us the best price etc. etc.

Thank you very much .
Wife of Ozimike.

I have always found the smaller agents better then the larger ones. You can feel like just a number.

Never sell through the JENMAN SYSTEM.

Try and always buy with the JENMAN SYSTEM.

Yes we have read the Jenman system, it is very helpful and did learn how many mistakes the agents make, but we don't notice it.

And to Jacque what a great thread on the other forum. I have ticked few of them. We should be on the right track.

Is September /October good time to sell ?
We still have 4 weeks to go for renovation, it is very hard when you are renovating while you live in it.

Thanks guys,

Wife of ozimike.

Great Post Jacqui Loved it!!!

I would certainly be doing my own comparative sales to see if the agent's appraisal price is within the norm for that area. If it is overinflated, you can be guaranteed that the house will remain on the market for a prolonged period of time and go stale. The agent will then try to condition you down on price...

Better to get it right the first time, dont go for an agent that over inflates prices, they are just trying to buy the listing!

I would also be cautios of agents that are quick to discount their own commissions, if they can't sell you their own services, how are they going to sell your home?

Rodney said:
I have always found the smaller agents better then the larger ones. You can feel like just a number.

Never sell through the JENMAN SYSTEM.

Try and always buy with the JENMAN SYSTEM.

Rodney,

Could you please explain your reasons for saying this?

Thanks

Xenia said:
Great Post Jacqui Loved it!!!

I would certainly be doing my own comparative sales to see if the agent's appraisal price is within the norm for that area. If it is overinflated, you can be guaranteed that the house will remain on the market for a prolonged period of time and go stale. The agent will then try to condition you down on price...

Better to get it right the first time, dont go for an agent that over inflates prices, they are just trying to buy the listing!

Ah yes, the old buying the listing strategy is still alive and kicking, from my experiences. I have a situation at the moment with a REA who's obviously misleaded the vendor into thinking they can achieve an 03 price on a property I personally know the history of ;) The 03 price is not achievable in this market and she and I both know this very well. Pity the poor vendor.
I am patient, however, and will bide my time until the agent has managed to do the necessary "conditioning" to ensure the property will be sold :)

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP!!

where there is missleading and deceptive conduct by the agent, there is always a bargain for the purchaser :D

ozimike (wife of),

Have you considered selling it without an agent?

why do you think you have to use an agent?

It's not hard ... get a contract organised, add in the paper and wait for the calls ... :)

... oh and save yourself 15K ?

rossv

Hi Ozimike
Two of the main things to consider are:
Price and Exposure
If a house is not priced well or not exposed to the market effectively it will just sit there.
So find an agent who can help you on both counts. Sometimes the pricing of a property can be a painful experience but ask your self this question.
Do I want to sell or just speculate?
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
House_Keeper said:
Rodney,

Could you please explain your reasons for saying this?

Thanks
i to am wanting to know the thinking behind the comment? we have just started negotiating for a property with a jenman based agent, so any inside info would be most helpful.

rossv said:
ozimike (wife of),

Have you considered selling it without an agent?

why do you think you have to use an agent?

It's not hard ... get a contract organised, add in the paper and wait for the calls ... :)

... oh and save yourself 15K ?

rossv

Hi thanks for your response.
Yes we have considered selling it ourselves.
We had an investment property we bought and renovate and sold early this year through an agent. We did some research about advertising ourselves but also did interviews to few realestate agents. We did ask them how much inquiries do they get from realestate.com.au and all of them said that is the number one place where they get most of their inquiries from.
We just thought it is a bit hard specially most people look up in realestate.com.au so we will missed out on people looking in the site.
We did ask our agent how did our buyer found our property and he said internet.
So with this next house to sell, no question in mind of going with an agent.

But well you just gave me us a thought investigate more maybe of how to sell it privately.
Do you have any tips on how to be successful in selling privately?

Thank you .

simonjulie said:
Hi Ozimike
Two of the main things to consider are:
Price and Exposure
If a house is not priced well or not exposed to the market effectively it will just sit there.
So find an agent who can help you on both counts. Sometimes the pricing of a property can be a painful experience but ask your self this question.
Do I want to sell or just speculate?
Simon

Hi thanks for your response. Yes I agree with you, price and exposure are the very big factors of a successful sale.
We had a very big lesson early this year with our investment property.We have put we think was a reasonable price for the property but exposure is not so great, it was on rea.com but the agency I think wasnt so great although the agent was very helpful and professional, for 4 weeks on the market there were only 3 inspections aside from the open house.
So moved to a well known agency ( I can say well known as everywhere you drive their signs are everywhere in our area) and for the 1st week with them there were 3 or 5 inspections a day and on the weekend got a contract.

It is a bit different case now with our PPOR that we are selling soon as few agents told us that we should get the highest price in our suburb because of the size, the location etc.
We are careful this time about our pricing and also to get the right people straight away, although we are thinking of going with the agents that sold our investment property( they have the highest valuation so far too). Just that they have a higher commission, I guess if their service is good then it is worth it.

We are going to repaint the outside of the house this week, still have a bit of a struggle with my husband what colour to paint hehehehe. We have a two storey half brick half timber house, we have decided and agreed the main colour of the house will be creamy white (rye bread), but I want to put the modern blue colour that is quite popular at the moment to the verandah rails,deck, and also the guttering but my husband thinks maroon will attract more people than blue. Uhmmm so I don't know hehehe.. we will wait and see.. who wins hahaha...

What do you think? Blue or maroon?

Thanks.
YOu all have been very helpful thank you.
Wife of Ozimike.

hahahahaha Yes I am thinking about that :) . Great idea.

I will try to draw up a house and colour it ok. and show you comparison.

Thanks.

how's the selling going?

Ozimike,

How's the sale of your house going? Did your choice of agent work out? :cool:

We've decided to put our PPOR(a unit) up for sale and have just completed our four agent interviews. In the end, we decided to go with someone two suburbs away for the following reasons, in no particular order:

1) Best appraisal and marketing approach presentation: clear, coherent, factual and bound with cover page
2) Most conservative anticipated sales price, but willing to start with higher listing price. Good research on recent sales. Understood what was attractive about Campsie, our suburb.
3) Personalized marketing information book contained recent sales as well as 7 written recommendations/thank yous from 6 vendors and a buyer personally addressed to the guy I interviewed. One letter was from July this year, two just this month in September. Others were thank you cards or Christmas cards.
4) He's one of the rare old-school, white-glove customer service types who anticipated my question, "Do people make a decision to buy based on whether they like the agent or not?". I think he'll be universally approachable regardless of the buyer's cultural background. :D
5) Not the cheapest and not the most expensive by a fair ways.

The only concerns I have are that he doesn't normally advertise in the Sydney Chinese Herald and the local Korean language newspaper. When you're selling in Campsie, you NEED to be able to advertise in those languages. I just need to ask him how we can do that. I know he doesn't have Korean/Chinese speaking staff. :confused::eek:

Anyway, I'll have a chat with him and let him know that's the only gap I need to plug.:)

Jireh

Make sure the tenants are on board. Nothing makes a bad impression like a floor covered with dirty landry.

A good tenant should either help sell the property or stay out of the way.

Back