BIG Competetion for RealEstate.Com.Au coming

Estate agents to open web sales site

Some BIG competetion for Real Estate.Com.Au by the REIA coming soon by the looks of this..

AUSTRALIA'S independent real estate agents body will launch its own sales website to take on the biggest players for a slice of the $1billion market in property advertising.
The Real Estate Institute of Australia will seek to use its relationships with agent members to attract listings to the new lower-cost site, with the aim of collating property sales data.

The move online is designed to tackle rising online real estate advertising fees - and growing control of the sector by Australia's big four real estate chains.

"The real estate institute's main focus would be the collection of data, but that would naturally flow on to advertisements," REIA president Graham Joyce said yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always found it strange that the west australian model of reiwa wasn't replicated by the other states real estate institutes, especially reiwa's business website strategy which i think is especially effective and in the majority of perth suburbs/markets is the dominant portal.

Paulie

Yes, I too would welcome an alternative source of information. I do hope they will include historical prices. Tis quite frustrating trying to find out this information at times, when one does have access to expensive data, and only need it occasionally.

A national RE web site has been talked about for a few years now.

It would be good for everyone except the owners of RE.com and domain.com etc.

At the moment we list on 4 different web sites and it costs a lot because we're at the mercy of those companies who are trying to increase profits. There's nothing wrong with increasing your profits, but not at our expense.

I've been wanting the REIA to do this since I heard about the concept and have asked several times why it isn't being done.

The answer... apparently its some of the state REI's that can't agree with each other. As Paulie said, 'The REIWA have a great model, lets use this one', then Michael Yardney says, 'The Vics all use this one, lets use it!' and so it goes on.

At the end of the day, if everyone used one, it would wipe out RE.com and Domain but it would be heaps cheaper for the consumer. For what it's worth, we don't charge our vendors to go on the internet. We pay for them and they're put on RE.com, Domain, our own companies site and propertypoint.com, a Tasmanian site that hardly anyone knows about! :rolleyes: (Including us :p ) That makes US, the agent, the consumer.

(I'd think this would be a point of interest for anyone holding shares in REA.)

Back