optometry -laser eye surgery?

Has anyone undergone laser eye surgery to correct for short-sightedness or other eye problems; or do you know anyone that has and had a success?

Personally, I know a friend who has done it and now he has perfect vision. Is it worth the cost, the risk, and the benefit?...

Cheers

Hi lowb

I have been seriously thinking about it - I am tired of having a sore neck and everything being just out of focus and requiring me to do my celebrated imitation of a goose just to be able to see things.

It seems to be about $2,500 per eye. Anyone I have ever met who has been able to have it done has said how wonderful it is.

I have astigmatism in both eyes (due to age) so without the glasses it's like looking through a wet shower screen all the time. Very wearying.

Not everybody can have it done - from the advertising it seems that the first consultation assess all the risks / benefits.

Remember that the Fred Hollows foundation provides cataract operations - done in the outback and in eg Nepal with whatever support they can get. Cataract operations are more invasive than the laser treatments yet have been about for many years

Oh, for a life without glasses! What bliss!

Cheers

Kristine

The risk is you may need another operation few years down the track due to the change of shape of the eyes (or whatever that part is called). I wear contact lens and don't have any problem with it.

Best thing I every did!

I started wearing glasses when I was 4 years old. At 46 years of age...I'd had enough. I was sooo short-sighted (-6 and -7.5) I couldn't see clearly 6" past my hand without glasses. I couldn't scuba dive, shave my legs, paint my toe nails, or anything properly. I couldn't buy a pair of wrap around sunglasses. My glasses would fog up when I came out of an airconditioned room. I also had astigmatism.

Then a friend told me she'd had lasik surgery in the ACT. I lived in Cairns, but went to Brisbane for the surgery in 1996. I didn't want an Ophthalmologist who only did one of these each week or month. I wanted someone who did nothing else. So I phoned around a lot of Ophthalmologists to see how many they did each week and how many were being sued for malpractise. I also phoned Opticians to see to whom they referred their patients.

Finally found the perfect Ophthalmologist who met my criteria. My local optician sent him my stats and measurements. The most important of which, was that my eyes hadn't changed in the past 2 years. (They won't operate if your eyes don't have a history of stability.)

I flew to Bris, had a consult with the doc (he was doing 4 a day), who gave me 1/2 hour chat about all the things that could possibly go wrong...like blindness. :eek:

Next day I had laser on the left eye...took 7 mins...and I was home at my friend's house within 1 1/2 hours. 8 hours later I had perfect vision out of that eye. Three days later, same procedure for the right eye, with same result. Drops in both eyes for about 10 days. Back at work 3 days after the second surgery. Perfect night vision after 6 months. Perfect day vision after 8 hours. I now have brilliant night vision, and can pick up a long liner at sea on the horizon at night, before the young sailors. I do need to wear my sunnies when outside during the day, as I'm a bit sensitive to glare.

My stats are now L eye = 0. R eye = -1. So I do use glasses for reading sometimes, to reduce eye strain. But I can read the phone book without them in a really good light.

Cost $2000 each eye. (No private health refund or medicare refund in those days, as it was still considered "experimental surgery".)

Another friend had his done by PRK surgery, with monstrous results and repeat procedures. (Went to a local bloke who did 2 a month.)

[Note: there is a vast difference between lasik and PRK surgery.]

Me...I haven't looked back. No adverse ramifications, side-effects or anything. Would I do it again...in a flash...I wouldn't think twice about it. Was it worth the money and the week off work? You betcha!:D

I now have my PADI Openwater Diving Certificate, can paint my toe nails and shave my legs, and my eyes don't fog up when coming out of an air-conditioned room.

Choice Magazine has a review here comparing both types of surgery:
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticl...100376&tid=100008&p=1&title=Laser+eye+surgery

And here's Kevin...he did mine. Lovely chap.
http://www.qlv.com.au/surgeon_Dr_Vandeluer.html

Hi

One of the accountants at our office, Sharni, had this surgery done about 12 months ago now.

She is thrilled with the results.

By all means email her direct for more information. She will not mind.

Dale
Has anyone undergone laser eye surgery to correct for short-sightedness or other eye problems; or do you know anyone that has and had a success?

Personally, I know a friend who has done it and now he has perfect vision. Is it worth the cost, the risk, and the benefit?...

Cheers

My wife had it done about 6 or 7 years ago. Took about 20 minutes all up and most of this was resetting the machine between eyes. The actual procedure took no time at all. It was no more uncomfortable than a dental procedure.

She was thrilled. Went from a person who couldn't find her towel on the beach after swimming without her glasses to almost perfect eyesight.

It did more than fix her eyes. It took away the big glasses she used to hide behind and really made her a more confident and outgoing person. After this she decided to study again and is now a Doctor.

I firmly believe that this procedure triggered all this change in outlook and life that she has enjoyed since then.

I wouldn't hesitate if it was me.

A guy at work also had lasik surgery a few years ago and he seems very happy with it.

I considered it, but my optometrist said that the down-side would be later needing corrective lenses for reading, whereas I might otherwise not (I don't now). As I read a lot, and like to read without glasses or contact lenses, this was a big consideration. And I'm approaching the age where my eyesight will likely start to change, meaning I'd need periodic adjustments. At the moment my sight is not too bad, at about -2.50.

He more recently also mentioned that if I did want to get it done, he'd recommend lasek rather than lasik, as he reckoned the flap they lift for the procedure heals a lot quicker that way. Apparently when the flap is sliced, it can still be easily lifted even 18 months later.

Cheers,
GP

I am short sighted and have astigmatism..required to wear glasses for driving, (which can be a little tricky slipping on under a bike helmet-full face), or splattering with dust and mud working horses, (but even there you need to wear protective eyewear regardless of vision problems or not)....but to be honest and only for me, my thoughts, what I don't have I don't miss, perfect eyesight, has never been a great concern...

My older sister is the same, myopic/astig, she had the laser surgery, and is absolutely delighted, very happy woman to throw away the glasses, (but she was far more shortsighted than me too). So she can't recc'd it enough...had it done to one eye (Melb) at 44 and has the other done now too, piece of cake she said.

I don't wear glasses unless (when on the road naturally and working horses), if I am outside I wear sunglasses to cut glare, here in the country that has more sunshine than QLD! and more dust than Saudia Arabia. So my sunglasses happen to be prescribed, why not eh? Could be handy.

I fully understand others wanting to get rid of glasses and having some reasonable eyesight, but I just like what I am, how I am...very much my choice, right or wrong whatever, it's cool...plus I am almost certain as a side benefit I have developed a very strong and acute sense of hearing...and that's a bit of fun.
Actually as an interesting point my eye doctor told me my short sightedness had actually improved, apparently she said it can improve with age in some cases, but the astig'sm can get worse.

There are different machines out there doing this job.
If you have astigmatism then you should consider the latest machines on the market, which do a far superior job. Cant recall the name but your optomitrist should know.
If you dont have astigmatism then it is not such a big deal
My wife had excellent results in both eyes 6 YEARS AGO, but as she is getting older her vision, as expected is deteriorating. She will need glasses to read eventually. Shw was very short sighted which is ideal for LASIK
I have severe astigmatism and expect in a few years to have this operation .Just waiting for the technology to get to a much more capable level.

Had mine done some 10 years ago. Both eyes at the same time but took a day to recover. Could see 100% immediately but had patches on overnight. Paid about $3000.

Used

http://www.southline.com.au/eyeproblems.asp?ID=427

They are set up to do many. On the day I was treated there were other people also lined up.

They even gave me a video of the whole process but can't stand watching it:(

In the process I had, they still used a mini planner to peal back the cover on the lense but I believe that these days they don't even have to do that.

Prior to setteling on on this doctor I saw 2 other doctors but came to the conclusion that they didn't do enough of these processes.

Cheers

i had lasik surgery done on both eyes 10 years ago. best thing i every did - and worth every cent. can read in the bath, go for a walk without glasses slipping off the nose, no more fogging when opening the oven, go to the beach and actually "see" people - the list is endless and cannot be understood by someone who hasn't experienced short sightedness.

i was told that i would still probably need reading glasses when i get older due to the muscles starting to get lazy (which is normal) - but life has been fantastic.

sailor has it right - barely 1/2 an hour in for both eyes, i was given a valium for the second as was starting to feel a bit creeped as the concept by then, walked away with perfect eyesight. not allowed to touch the eyes for 10 days while the "flap" reheals and have antiseptic/anti-inflamatory drop to put in ... and if you spend more than $1000 in a financial year on medial expenses anything over the $1000 (the base limit may have increased since i had mine done) is tax deductable.

go for it - can't recommended it enough. mind you, a friend choose to have a boob job instead of getting her eyes done - so it's horses for courses i guess.

Lizzie, I remember the morning after surgery, sitting on my friend's balcony in Bris watching the cars go by. I was avidly reading the number plates...and I was just sooo excited! I COULD READ NUMBER PLATES!:D

I think everyone who has had this surgery has some wonderful stories to tell. Being able to see clearly without glasses is a miracle! I am grateful every day of my life for my eyesight.

Hi,

I think there is a need to bring some balance into this .....

I think everyone who has had this surgery has some wonderful stories to tell.

My mother had lasik 3 yrs ago and lost 80% of her sight.

So ... just weigh up the pros and cons ....

rossv

I had it done 6 years ago too at Laser Sight Centres. Had both eyes done at the same time. I had very severe astigmatisms in both eyes and ended up with better than 20 20 vision. I felt reborn.

6 years down the track and in my late forties I have develped presbyopia which means my arms aren't long enough for reading!! and they told this would probably happen. but still i only have to wear glasses every now and then. It cost me 2,200 per eye and I got back 800 on my tax for excess medical expenses.

Best thing I ever did:)

you have to also take into account that there is a perfect age for having the surgery done. preferably around late 20-early 30 as the eyes have settled down in their groth by then, so the results should last, and it then allows you another 15-25 years before the muscles start to get lazy and you'll need reading glasses like all the other oldies.

i know my optometrist didn't like to recommend anyone over 40 as the results aren't as good, don't last as long and the risks are higher.

it is only a decision you can make - but from those of us who have experienced this life changing moment, you cannot hide the enthusiasm of what it has meant to us.

Yes I first had it done in 1999, but had a repeat in 2005. For some reason mine is one of unusual ones where the eyes continue to deterioate. But the Doctor, did not charge me for the 2nd operation.

Eyes are sensitive to strong sunlight, get dry with airconditining and wind, but I have 20/20 vision, which is great......

My mother had lasik 3 yrs ago and lost 80% of her sight.
That's the risk. I don't know the chances. But, if for instance, there's a 1% chance of failure- I don't want to be in that 1%. I'd rather just continue to wear glasses.

My sister has had successful laser eye surgery, and is completely happy with it. But I'm (almost) completely happy with wearing glasses. Perhaps 1% where I'm not completely happy.

I'd rather keep the odds where they are.

That's the risk. I don't know the chances. But, if for instance, there's a 1% chance of failure- I don't want to be in that 1%. I'd rather just continue to wear glasses.

My sister has had successful laser eye surgery, and is completely happy with it. But I'm (almost) completely happy with wearing glasses. Perhaps 1% where I'm not completely happy.

I'd rather keep the odds where they are.

That 1% is the biggest con -if it fails, can it be repaired? Is the result blindness?
-(off to do some more reading)

I'm with geoffw. Even if the failure rate is small I'd just rather not take it. Sure I'd prefer 20/20 vision to glasses and contacts, but I'm worried about the chance of failure. More than one friend, however, has had the surgery and they say it's great.
Alex

Back