Help Needed Renovators

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone out there who are doing renos in Melbourne could help us.

We just bought a property to do our 1st Reno.

We need to know where to buy the cheapest supplies. We have been running around looking at places like Bunnings and Swan HomeBase and i must say they are quiet expensive.

Does anyone know in Melbourne where we can get cheap Kitchen (Cook Tops), Bathroom (ie,Shower Screens, Vanitys) and Landscaping products. ie Whole Sale supplier of everything or most things?

Your help is much appreciated.

Vluu

Hi Vluu28,

Good on you for turning your hand to a renovation. We are just at the end of renovating our latest property.

A couple of place we used were -
- Robot Trading
- Greys Auctions - Cheltenham (hot plate, cook top)
- Bourne plumbing supplies (used to be budget plumbing)
- Paint - from Paint Spot - they have 20% off sale from time to time
- Bunnings

It really does depend on what you are after. The quality of the materials need to be taken into consideration as well.

Cheap is not always the best way to go.....

Hope that helps.

Carumble:D

Hi Vluu,

Grey's auctions is fantastic, if you can get some time off on the Tuesday or Sat to go to their home renovators auction. Check out greysonlines.com.au - they have online auctions as well - but the renovators "on-site" auction has much much more available to buy. Also, check the trading post (online as well), and sometimes ebay. Also of course, Bunnings - and if you really have a bit of time, you can go around to all the different appliance type stores (as they all have sales on different things at differents times) and you can play them off each other to see who will beat the lowest price. We've found "Homesite" in Williamstown (in the industrial area) has very cheap basins and shower heads and other bathroom accessories, lights, sinks, tiles, etc - haven't purchased anything from them yet, so can't say anything about the quality but they look quite modern. Out the Springvale/Dandenong way has a ton of stores/warehouses which might suit as well.

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Vluu,

Greys Auctions in Dandenong is also great. I agree with willair, though, you have to go and just watch the first time.

We also had some recent good luck on line with Ebay. Our kitchen cost $2700 including a stone bench top :) . You have to have lots of time up your sleeve for Ebay, though, because things don't come up every day.

Cheers, Medine

If you're looking for a kitchen and you don't mind doing it yourself, you can save quite a bit with Ikea.

I had three quotes, two from cabinet makers, one from a company selling kitchens flat packed.

They were $6900, $5400 and the flat packed for $4300.

Ikea was $2500. Even if I had gotten it professionally installed it still would have worked out cheaper.

The only downside is the cabinets all come in set sizes so you have to accomodate for that. But thats no big hassle.

And the kitchen looks mad :)

Back