gossip for those interested in Brisbane

Afternoon all...

for those who have been following all the different Brisbane related threads lately and wanting to work out were it is all heading here is some info that may help...

For those who have been looking at Warner Lakes and the associated area - Ausbuild (formally Ray White homes) have just listed their display homes in the new estate for $487,950 and wait for it - a whopping $559,950!!!! home sizes are 21 and 26squares (approx) respectively. anyone who is doubting the outer north is growing big time better check their pulse!

Also for those looking at the suburbs under the urban renewal plans have a look at this:

7news - Tuesday May 15, 08:48 PM
Council reveals Brisbane development plans
By 7News
Brisbane suburbs such as Indooroopilly, Chermside and Upper Mount Gravatt will become mini-cities to help cope with the population boom over the next 20 years.

But Brisbane City Council has ruled out 20-storey apartment buildings unless the communities agree.

The evidence of Brisbane's growing pains is everywhere: drilling started on the northern end of the North-South bypass tunnel this morning.

"This work today really shows how we're getting on with the job," Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said.

But drastic changes are about to happen above-ground, too. The city's population will increase by 200,000 in the next 20 years and 145,000 new dwellings are needed.

Brisbane will run out of land in 10 years, so today officials were asked where the houses would be built.

"Close to jobs, close to shops, close to trains and bus stops, as well as those old industrial sites that need to be recycled," Brisbane City Council planning chairman David Hinchliffe said.

Council today released its draft growth plan, which will be open for public comment for two months.

It targets shopping areas including Carindale, Chermside, Fortitude Valley, Indooroopilly and Upper Mount Gravatt for big developments.

Mitchelton, Toombul and Toowong would receive slightly less, but still significant attention.

The Lord Mayor said they would not become skyscraper satellite cities.

"I cannot believe there will be 20-storey building in the leafy suburbs of Brisbane," he said. "There will, however, be buildings higher than 10 storeys."

Ugly industrial sites will also be developed.

Areas earmarked, for urban renewal, include Albion, Boggo Road, Bowen Hills, Bulimba, Everton Park, Milton, South Bank, RNA showgrounds, Tennyson Power Station and Woolloongabba.

Fortitude Valley may get 20 or 30-storey buildings, but it will be the only one. In 20 years, council wants it to be an extension of the CBD.

Other bit of info for those wanting accountants/tax agents up here is that a client of ours was told by a Chan and Naylor rep this morning that they will be opening up a branch in Brisvegas sometime around July.

hope all this helps!!

cheers
UC

Last edited:
Thanks for the info UC.

I love this comment....
The Lord Mayor said they would not become skyscraper satellite cities.

"I cannot believe there will be 20-storey building in the leafy suburbs of Brisbane," he said. "There will, however, be buildings higher than 10 storeys."

Isn't 20 storeys higher than 10 storeys :D

John.

Ahhhh tis all good.

I wonder how that would change the value of your land when the zoning allows for 10+ story high rises?

Brisbane is the Paris of Australia.

(Actually I'm the only person who has used that description so far, but am hoping it will catch on).

and what's wrong with bevans??? :eek: actually they all live on the southside - that's why we have a moat that runs up the middle of the city... ;)

let the barrage of abuse from southsiders begin!!

The evidence of Brisbane's growing pains is everywhere: drilling started on the northern end of the North-South bypass tunnel this morning.
Is that the one I seen on the news last night, I'm in Toowoomba so get that news I think. Didn't they say that it is going at 3 meters a day but can bring better digging equipment that can go 15 meters a day and completion 2010.

What will this do for Brisbane can anyone give a run down where is it going to direct traffic to and what area will have the greatest impact from it?

If it was a smart council it would enforce mandatory water tanks and gray water use in all new dwellings. But other then that they are probably hedging there bets on the drought to break.

Last edited:
There is no water now - how is Brisbane and the SE going to sustain this popualation growth?

I agree Caz. With a bit of luck for current Brissie property holders, and bad luck for everyone else, Brisbane will be forced to don a population cap.

The downside though is that many businesses will probably decide not to set up in SE Qld because of expensive water. So we'll miss jobs growth as well. In fact, just today Tarong Power Station has laid off 160 employees from its coal operations, all due to water shortages. Tarong and Nanango townships will be hit hard.

And today the govt begins its PR campaign to soften up SE Qld for Level 6 restrictions, due later this year on current predictions. IMHO, this all gets back to Goss and Rudd canning the Wolfdene Dam.

Last edited:
yeah i concur...and Beattie has stuffed so much up over the years he hasn't even got near to looking after the water supplies. why do we keep electing him again???

it will be interesting to see how the water crisis affects the whole springfield master plan too - as late as today they have been sprouting how there is going to be 80,000 people out there in the next few years, yet there is no extra water supply out that way either.

I wonder how that would change the value of your land when the zoning allows for 10+ story high rises?

easy answer to that one...valus go through the roof - sales data for Chermside indicates that as soon as word got around that there was a precinct around Westfields and down Gympie Rd that was allowing 10 high, the value went sky high - there was some enormous growth there real quick.

Jaffa - yes that was what you saw on the news - thought it was worth sharing with the community here...how will it affect traffic??? its stuffed now - what do you reckon?? but seriously if i read all the info correctly the idea is simply to divert traffic away from the CBD that doesn't need to be there i.e. through traffic that wouldn't be stopping in the city anyway. The concept is great, and if its going to work then i'm sure that can-do campbell will do it - my problem with it is that it seems to just dump more traffic on the three majors quicker than normal - good for city traffic, but Lutwyche, the Gabba and Ipswich rd's are already a nigthmare in peak periods - so how is dumping more traffic on them quicker going to solve the commuter issues without MAJOR upgrades to those roads etc...

anyone with better ideas??? or have i missed something???

easy answer to that one...valus go through the roof - sales data for Chermside indicates that as soon as word got around that there was a precinct around Westfields and down Gympie Rd that was allowing 10 high, the value went sky high - there was some enormous growth there real quick.

yeah I remember when Playfield St near the Chermside pool was still cheap. Now that area is all going 10 stories, northerly aspect over Marchant Park. Not a bad area to hold.

exactly...the other spot in there to pay attention to over the next little while if you can do it (IMHO anyway) is the area around the large park off Kuran street?? i think it is...there is a swag of older property up there with full unrestricted city views and on large blocks. Getting them is the problem - none of the old folks there want to move - and God bless 'em for it.

exactly...the other spot in there to pay attention to over the next little while if you can do it (IMHO anyway) is the area around the large park off Kuran street?? i think it is...there is a swag of older property up there with full unrestricted city views and on large blocks. Getting them is the problem - none of the old folks there want to move - and God bless 'em for it.
Urban Cowboy,how do you backup what you talk about,can you post the
C/G over the past 5 years in the areas that you are talking about,this is
a simple question from one of the Bogans that live on BrisbaneSouthside
i just wish i knew what a Bogan is,but there is nothing wrong with that
as TFB use to say;) .......good luck willair..

Ausbuild are ridiculously expensive builders. I don't know how they get away with charging those kind of prices. They do sell but it generally takes awhile.

Look at their Eight Mile Plains spec homes and Parkinson and Calamvale.

I wonder if there will be people who will buy it.

To build with them, it's around $180k for an 18 sq house.

So they have obviously added margin on top of the profit they are already making to build the house, adding margin on the land and then probably another 20 to 30% as a house + land package.

Thing is, there are other builders there who are also out to make money and though will still push the prices up but they will still be $100k cheaper than Ray White.

If you look at Heathwood Estate...all the display homes that were sold for leaseback sold in the vicinity of $550k to $700k but builders house + land packages are hovering around $430k to $490k for lowsets.

Warner lakes is still a great area to buy though. If you buld there could be potentially $100k+ instant CG but not he $200k CG that Ausbuild expects.

We've dealt with them before and watched their prices increase $20k every 3mths. They just annoy me.

I like that area around Chermside, top library, and everything you need in the shopping centre + hospital and most everything else there. I was forced out by budget considerations though. Geebung also, were a few decent ones going for sub 300 in nice streets (not main road) until recently, maybe even now if you search hard.

Plenty of CUB's on the northside of Brisbane I can attest, I have heard and seen their impressive muscle cars and new brick mansions.

I'm in the path of gentrification, it's on the way to my rescue I predict, should be a decent coffee franchise in my suburb within the next few years. Latte's are better for property values than muscle cars imo. The housing commish and back yard workshops must be getting pushed even further from the CBD soon with the new price hikes. Not sure where they will go though!?

Oh yeah......what I hate about Northside is the lack of good and cheap food and gympie rd.

what I love about southside...well I only like eight mile plains/sunnybank area. There is just an enormous variety of good food here. The M4 Gateway and Logan Motorway all intersect here so it's a breeze to get to Gold Coast, Ipswich, City, Airport and Nth Side. I have an annual pass to the theme parks and take my lil boy almost every week. It's 5 mins to the motorway then less than 1/2 hr to dreamworld.

Why would I ever want to go Nth Side? only ever drive through on my way to Noosa :p

In terms of land and new estates...there's a lot of CG everywhere. There's not enough land. Even redbank plains will reach $220k by end of this year or next year I guarantee. It's only around $145k now (traditional blocks).

Urban Cowboy,how do you backup what you talk about,can you post the C/G over the past 5 years in the areas that you are talking about,this is a simple question from one of the Bogans that live on BrisbaneSouthside i just wish i knew what a Bogan is,but there is nothing wrong with that as TFB use to say;) .......good luck willair..

Hey willair...good to hear from you!! i hoped someone would go there...hehehe

actually i must confess i had to look up the definition of bogan myself - a great one can be found here http://www.bogan.com.au/definition/index.php the website is a crack-up...here's another one http://www.bogantown.com/

to answer your question, yes i can post the capital growth etc given time...thank God for RPdata and the other myriad of internet resources avail.

attached is a brief line graph of chermside over the last 5 years - and before i get shot down - its an rpdata produced graph working on median sales...given more time i could come up with specifics but i hope this will do for the meantime. the bottom line on the graph is single unit dwellings and the top is multi-unit dwellings.

My statement about Kuran street and surrounds is merely conjecture, knowing the area well and what is happening nearby and its zoning etc...knowing that others here also know the area well, i expect they may back me up - then again i am more than happy to stand corrected at anytime!! Most of what I put here is merely opinion unless i cite the source...my opinions in the Chermside discussion are based on having lived nearby for years and having sold a number of properties and development sites in that part of town.

hope this answers your queries...

cheers
UC:D

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    84.5 KB · Views: 117
My statement about Kuran street and surrounds is merely conjecture,
hope this answers your queries...
Well at least i know now what a Bogan is thanks,btw i like Flannelette
shirts,stubbie pants,and double plug thongs it makes it easy when you
walk down the street and look like you have 20 cents in your back pocket..
good luck willair..

Oh yeah......what I hate about Northside is the lack of good and cheap food and gympie rd.

Sue78 i'm with you, the northside has no decent food at a good price and not only that there is very few good places that stay open late on anynight of the week. People living in Syd and Mel should be grateful for the variety of food that they have to choose from and that your restaurant owners aren't scared to stay open past 930pm.

Urban Cowboy i'm starting to think that there is far too many unit blocks being developed or proposed to be developed in Chermside, looking at playfield street, thomas street, cnr of gympie and hamilton rd, has there been any slowing of sales in this area that you are aware of?

Also what do the southsiders call the northsiders if the northsiders call the southsiders "bogans'?

Back