Dodgy Driveways

Building a new ip, specy at the moment and went to have a look on the weekend to check on progress and was a bit horrified to find a bloody great drain in the drivway area.:mad:

I have got off well apparently, as others in this "exclusive estate" have traffic calming chicanes, bus stops, drains, lightpost and giveway sign all on their property:eek:

After driving around other established estates nearby, it would seem that this infact may be normal.

Has anyone else had or heard of this sort of thing ?

Do you think this may devalue a property ?, current sales and agent's think not.

Pic's of my place. pink arrow where diveway should be if straight. Other pic's of driveways in other estates.

BB

Attachments

• various 004 (Medium).jpg
    various 004 (Medium).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 293
  • various 027 (Medium).jpg
    various 027 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 711
  • various 029 (Medium).jpg
    various 029 (Medium).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 276
Is that a post in the middle of someones driveway, you have to be joking. andi thought it was bad that the estates landscapers put a small tree that we were able to pull out where my driveway is going to be.

I wonder where common sense is sometimes, especially in my case where you have a corner block so the driveway can obviously only go on one side of the front yard.

Goodness, I'd be devestated if I found a power pole in the middle of my driveway! Now that does look awful! It has to make you feel somewhat better about your drain! Both situations are far from ideal, but I know which I'd prefer...

devalue property value???

If they put that post outside my house id be putting it up the developers GRass. thats horrible. id have to decide what id rather take... busy road? powerlines? flood? or a powerpole in my driveway.

Have seen many many dodgy things but that is a classic. im saving that pic to show others.

as for the drain, nah i think ur fne with that 1.

On the third pic, the driveway appears to enroach on the other properties border. I would be getting all council inspections and approvals in writing before I took delivery. It might save a lot of headaches later.

re the middle photo
At least the pole is on the foot path.
Here in japan I have seen several instances where it is well onto the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....I kid you not.

On the third pic, the driveway appears to enroach on the other properties border. I would be getting all council inspections and approvals in writing before I took delivery. It might save a lot of headaches later.

Nah, the house is a cnr block, so no neighbour to worry about.

BB

hey BB. Wheres the estate and whos the builder. And could you put up some rough figures. Thanks

Rough figures on what, a dodgy driveway, or the post in the middle ?:D

Not sure who built the 2 finished houses, but all are in various Rockhampton estates.

Our newie will cost $181k, plus I get to do turf ,fence ,a/c. on a 230m2 house.

BB

I've never seen anything like the pole in the driveway. I wouldn't buy a house like that; especially if I had kids that also drove.:eek:

Have seen plenty of curvy driveways especially in the last few years with blocks getting smaller so I don't think that would effect the price of your property.

Don't think the drain will effect the price of your home. I would love a drain out the front of my house.

I can't believe the middle photo with the post in the middle of the driveway. If it's a photoshop job, it must be pretty good because it even has the grass around the post. The only way they're going to sell that house is if they give away a few Harley's or a Mini Cooper with the house. :p

Jireh

I can't believe the middle photo with the post in the middle of the driveway. If it's a photoshop job, it must be pretty good because it even has the grass around the post. The only way they're going to sell that house is if they give away a few Harley's or a Mini Cooper with the house. :p

Jireh

Definetly not photoshop, as I took it myself on Saturday.

This house sold just fine, just sat on the market a few week's longer than other's that sell before the brick's are on the wall.

No discount either from what I was told.

Just goes to show how desperate some people are to get into the market.

BB

Good grief! :eek: It would make me cry, if that happened to be my place. I definitely wouldn't buy a property with those impediments. This is apalling on the builder's part. Have you no comeback with him?

Good grief! :eek: It would make me cry, if that happened to be my place. I definitely wouldn't buy a property with those impediments. This is apalling on the builder's part. Have you no comeback with him?

I must stress, only the first one is mine.

With our block we put a deposit on it while it was still bush.

The drawing's show a drain out the front, but no position or size.

If we mirror reverse the house we have chicanes over the driveway and possible light pole interferance.

It is not the builders fault, it is more the restriction's impossed by council, and no forward thinking by surveyors and engineer's.

Light post's should be on boundaries.

Drain's should be a 50/50 boundary split.

Chicane's, well, I won't say where they should be stuck.:D

BB

Last edited:
i's just stunned that no-one picked up on the power pole during construction and, at least, diverted the driveway around it - how on earth to they get in and out of their garage?

and how are you going to get over the drain to your driveway, bb? are you going to have a curved driveway too?

what i can't believe, in a new estate, that they are putting power poles in at all. every new estate i've seen the power, phones etc are all run underground - apparently more expensive in the first place, but less maintenance issues.

I chose to have a curved driveway, a straight in driveway looks dead boring and ordinary, like a sheep run (or something) No-one will even notice the drain believe me, and neither will you after a week.

I chose to have a curved driveway, a straight in driveway looks dead boring and ordinary, like a sheep run (or something) No-one will even notice the drain believe me, and neither will you after a week.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned, as long as the entry point is similar width to the garage entry.

Some get "Champagne Glass" drive's. Sound's glamourous, but it is single in going up to a double.

No thanks.

BB

Back