Peter Spann???

Hi
Just went to look up Peter Spann website and it did not load. What has happened to him, and how is his Managed Property Trust going??
Just an interest. I was considering investing in this a short while ago and just heard of someone local (single mum w 3 kids!!) losing $100K in 2 months in an Australian property trust. Was not P Spann,m but apparently directors were siphoning funds for personal expenditure. Would have thought it impossible to lose on Prop trusts in the last 6 months if managed properly. Comments...

Hi
Just went to look up Peter Spann website and it did not load. What has happened to him...

I assume you are looking for www.freemanfox.com.au ?

Would have thought it impossible to lose on Prop trusts in the last 6 months if managed properly. Comments...

Depends on the nature and location of the said properties held by the trust. eg residential aprtments in Sydney may not have been the hottest things around in that timeframe.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Property Fox #1 and #2

I’m still here! :)

In answer to your question, there is mixed news.

Unfortunately one of our property funds has not done well so far. It’s down between 30% and 50%. Not a good situation for the investors (or us) at this stage. However I am determined to make it work and while being realistic about making additional promises I am still positive that we can make that happen.

Our second property fund is doing much better – it has just sold a number of properties at a good profit and our developments look on track to make a profit as well.

Hope this answers the question.

With regards to my personal website it is still a work in progress but you can use www.freemanfox.com.au and www.jornada.com.au

Peter

What's your take on the performance of the Macquarie Equity Enhanced Income Fund (based on your buy/write strategy) that you promoted heavily last year? Has it met your expectations given 14% was quoted as a return and as at end of Arpril the return is just over 8%?

Gazza

I’m still here! :) Unfortunately one of our property funds has not done well so far. It’s down between 30% and 50%. Not a good situation for the investors (or us) at this stage. However I am determined to make it work and while being realistic about making additional promises I am still positive that we can make that happen.

Thats a pretty big gap 30-50% to tell investors....!!

Wat did u buy to get it so wrong in this market?

Regards

Thats a worry...

Not sure how you could make a property fund run at a loss in the current market. ??
Is it the overheads the management fees or just the projects it is involved in ?

As much as I agree that it is a good thing to 'automate' the wealth process, I keep coming back to taking control and being hands on to have some say on where and how the funds are getting invested.

There are too many horror stories doing the traps atm with these funds with retirees and ordinary folk losing the shirts off their backs and their life savings. Scares the hell out of me.

We are still 100% invested in direct property and doing much better this year than we were last year.

kp

Peter
Has it met your expectations given 14% was quoted as a return and as at end of Arpril the return is just over 8%?

Gazza

Higher return means higher risk to me. Not sure what 'risk level' was promoted for this product?

GSJ

I keep coming back to taking control and being hands on to have some say on where and how the funds are getting invested.

Me too! If it goes bad the only person I can blame is me.

I like the thrill of the chase too. I like the feeling of making a decision and seeing it pay off. It gives a far better sense of achievement and I believe the rewards are far greater in the long term.

If it goes bad the only person I can blame is me.

I like the thrill of the chase too. I like the feeling of making a decision and seeing it pay off. It gives a far better sense of achievement and I believe the rewards are far greater in the long term.

Amen to that.

Higher return means higher risk to me. Not sure what 'risk level' was promoted for this product?

GSJ

Hi GSJ,

There are 2 underlying funds in the product - a buy write fund and a dividend stripping fund.

There was also a put option to protect the capital invested and a 100% loan offered.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Peter

What's your take on the performance of the Macquarie Equity Enhanced Income Fund (based on your buy/write strategy) that you promoted heavily last year? Has it met your expectations given 14% was quoted as a return and as at end of Arpril the return is just over 8%?

Gazza

Was that a fund that offered 100% leverage with prepaid interest?

Would a client be in the red after interest and fees, based on an 8% return?

Agree Y-Man. My understanding is the 8% is net of fees so it has already paid for itself this year, any more is profit. My concern is the market has been going gangbusters in the last 12 months and this strategy has only managed 8%, how will it perform in a slowdown?

I am in another Macquarie fund that has only done 4.4% to the end of March. Am busy preparing to exit that one as we speak. Will most probably break even on this one for the year due to rebate of comissions.

Agree Y-Man. My understanding is the 8% is net of fees so it has already paid for itself this year, any more is profit. My concern is the market has been going gangbusters in the last 12 months and this strategy has only managed 8%, how will it perform in a slowdown?

The performance of buy-write and dividend stripping strategies do not necessarily correlate to a steeply rising market. I would expect it to outperform other share funds in a flat/gently rising market.

The reasons I had it in my portfolio was
1. generate some income
2. diversify in case the market did flatten out

I also had straight (actually geared) share funds that did go gangbusters over the past 12+ months, so quite happy with the overall picture.

Cheers,

The Y-man

yes!! Putting deals together is addictive. Nothing beats it.

I think it's great when people can do something they love. But while I have nothing against people enjoying wheeling and dealing I can think of a few things I'd rather be doing:
  • Playing with my children
  • Going for a bike ride up a long hill on a cold clear morning
  • Going back down the hill and stopping at a bakery on the way home
  • Having dinner with some good friends and talking about nothing and everything
  • Travel
  • Reading a good book in bed when it's cold, windy, and wet outside
  • Gardening
  • Star gazing
  • Discovering new music

I could go on, but you get the idea. I'm all for doing your due diligence, but for me once that is done I'm more than happy to let someone else do the dealing. While I haven't invested in any of the products managed by Peter I'm glad there are people like him out there. I have done reasonably well from my non-IP investments in the last few years, and while I have paid a bit for some advice, and I pay a bit to fund mangers in fees, I have also grown my wealth with very little effort on my part. Maybe I'm lazy, but for me life's too short to spend it making money.

Enjoy the journey.

John.

Still curious...what did the fund buy to get it so wrong in this market?

It's actually not the properties (although they have not performed to expectation) - it is the share price that is down between 30% and 50%. The market is punishing the share price (admittedly for poor performance).

It originally did OK with some good profits distributed to shareholders - we then bought blocks of units in Sydney (conforming to our mandate of the time to buy / renovate / sell) just before the downturn there and have held them for about 3 years now. While the properties are good enough we did miss on the timing.

With a fund like this the costs to run it have chewed up significant funds. All our funds were tied up in those properties so we were unable to generate any income by carrying out the mandate of the company.

At the last AGM we decided to take a hit on the properties we were holding (by selling into a depressed market) to get those funds redeployed to "better" investments.

With the general buoyancy (although not a boom market) in property in Qld and other places people forget there are still parts of Australia in the doldrums.

As I said I am determined to make it pay one way or another for those shareholders who have stayed with it - after all it was always described as a long term investment.

Back