Peter Spann???

What's your take on the performance of the Macquarie Equity Enhanced Income Fund (based on your buy/write strategy) that you promoted heavily last year? Has it met your expectations given 14% was quoted as a return and as at end of Arpril the return is just over 8%? Gazza

Actually 14.2% is the quoted return from the MQ Buy Write Fund.

It (the Buy Write Fund) has actually out performed our expectations producing 2.18% last month. And this is from a fund that has very low volatility - 5.52% in fact (share market averages 12% and property is about 8%). As volatility is a key indicator of risk I am sure you'll agree that while this fund is not traded for outright performance it is low risk.

It is the other two funds (that the powers that be required us to add to the Buy Write in MEEIF) that have inexplicably under performed. (I say inexplicably because the market is ripe for those funds to have performed well, so they are actually acting as a drag on the performance of the Buy Write).

Having said all that the actual performance of the fund to end of April is 8.33%

Annualised (which I am not supposed to do but bear with me) that would be 9.99%

Most people have fixed the interest at 7.75% - paid annually in advance, so they would still be in front 2.24%.

Now that doesn't sound like a lot but because there was no capital outlay (100% finance), and I have as I have no risk to capital (capital protection at the end date) I view my returns against the cost and that makes it a 28.9% return on cost (the interest).

So, while I would have liked it to perform better and I am delighted with the Buy Write component of it (which is what we wanted in the first place) I am happy for the first year (as there is also a considerably larger fee drag on the fund in year one).

We are looking at ways to enhance the performance of this fund for next year, but with the current performance of the Buy Write I am happy we have selected it as the centre piece of "our" new fund with Macquarie - the MQ Geared Equity Income Fund.

Disclaimer: While Peter Spann is an Authorised Representative of Freeman Fox Limited, the Holder of an Australian Financial Services License he makes this post as an individual and his views should be taken as that. The material in this article is of the nature of general information only and neither purports nor intends to be advice. No consideration has been given or will be given to the individual investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person. Investments can rise and fall in value. The decision to invest and the method selected is a personal decision and involves an inherent level of risk. None of the information in this article constitutes, and must not be construed as, an offer of securities or other financial instruments. Nor is it an invitation to you to take up securities or other financial products. Nor is it a recommendation to deal in any securities or other financial products. Before making an investment decision on the basis of any information presented in this article the investor or prospective investor needs to consider, with or without the assistance of a Licensed Financial Adviser, whether the strategies are appropriate in the light of their particular investment needs, objectives and financial circumstances. Peter Spann, Freeman Fox Limited and their associates may hold investments in the assets presented and will be entitled to commissions on certain products. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy the laws and strategies relating to investing, financial services and taxation are constantly changing as does the factors that effect the likelihood of investing success for example, but not limited to, the economy, government policy, market sentiment, and time, therefore the writer does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, voracity or timeliness of any of the information presented. Any examples presented are for illustration purposes only and previous results are no indication of future profits

Last edited:
Timing Lords

While the properties are good enough we did miss on the timing...

...people forget there are still parts of Australia in the doldrums....

So what does your timing radar tell you now Peter Spann?

You've mentioned QLD.

Which other states/cities/regions (broadly speaking of course) around Australia do you think might offer a better chance to more profitably invest with a buy/renovate/sell strategy for residential property?

Thanks,

GSJ

It's actually not the properties (although they have not performed to expectation) - it is the share price that is down between 30% and 50%. The market is punishing the share price (admittedly for poor performance).

This is interesting. One of the advantages of holding mainstream property (ie normal suburban houses or units) is that (i) provided the purchase price is fair, and (ii) provided yields are sufficient to prevent extreme negative cashflows, it is fairly forgiving if held for at least a 15-20 year period (and often shorter times as well).

In other words the downside of direct property is usually fairly limited (and some of that can be insured against) but there are potential high gains. These do not happen all the time but we enjoy them when they happen and they make our investing worthwhile.

But as soon as one is seperated from the underlying asset (eg through a listed investment company) it sounds as if lacklustre performance (the sort that buy & hold investors shrug off, keep holding and hope for future growth) causes the market to panic and reduce the value of the stock by an percentage far greater than deserved by the performance of the underlying asset.

Similarly the opposite may be true; if the underlying asset increases by 10% then sentiment might cause shares in companies associated with them to increase by (say) 20%.

With magnified losses and gains it's a bit like leverage.

This sort of behaviour indicates that the market may have a volatile temperament (where ups and downs are both out of proportion). This is a quite different mentality to the long-term buy & hold investor that rolls with the punches, doesn't worry unduly but (usually) still ends up ahead.

Trying to marry two potentially conflicting temperaments does present an interesting challenge. It will be interesting if the observed greater volatility translates into a better return long-term.

Peter

Capitalising interest when 100% leveraged into an 'income fund'???

Annualised (which I am not supposed to do but bear with me) that would be 9.99%

Most people have fixed the interest at 7.75% - paid annually in advance, so they would still be in front 2.24%.

Navra has an income fund that has been doing OK I believe and some people that are 100% leveraged here are even capitalising interest on this 'income-orientated' fund.

I suggested this was a silly idea on invested.com.au, and that didn't go down very well over there.

What do you think of this kind of strategy using this MQ equity income fund?

Thanks,

GSJ

So what does your timing radar tell you now Peter Spann? Which other states/cities/regions (broadly speaking of course) around Australia do you think might offer a better chance to more profitably invest with a buy/renovate/sell strategy for residential property?
GSJ

Actually I think we are down to suburbs - at the moment I would caution anybody from investing in residential property without extensive suburb by suburb, indeed street by street analysis.

But as soon as one is seperated from the underlying asset (eg through a listed investment company)

Yes, just like LPT's (listed property trusts). Further, many of these are now 'stapled securities', so performance is tied to an underlying listed company. So you're mixing property with shares and subsequently the risk/volatilities of the overall investment.

GSJ

Actually I think we are down to suburbs - at the moment I would caution anybody from investing in residential property without extensive suburb by suburb, indeed street by street analysis.

Yes of course Peter, I just didn't think you would want to be so specific on a public forum, but since you brought it up, are there any particular suburbs you think have better potential for capital growth or to use your fund strategy at this time?

Thanks,

GSJ

Navra has an income fund that has been doing OK I believe and some people that are 100% leveraged here are even capitalising interest on this 'income-orientated' fund.

I suggested this was a silly idea on invested.com.au, and that didn't go down very well over there.

What do you think of this kind of strategy using this MQ equity income fund?

Thanks,

GSJ

Without commenting on the Navara fund (as I know nothing about it) I would suggest capitalising interest on an income fund was fraught with “danger” – mmm, too strong a word perhaps.

Really any form of income fund is going to have pretty much a relative “band” of performance if it is going to maintain the risk / return ratio at reasonable levels.

Let’s say (for the purposes of illustration) that an income fund aims to produce 9% PA and that it’s underlying strategy is reasonably able to achieve that with a consistent level of risk.

Year to year it might perform at (say) between 7% and 11% but it is unlikely to go higher then that if the risk stays constant.

If you capitalise interest you will start pushing the boundaries of the performance of the strategy and after a few years I would suggest you would be in a loss making position even though the fund may continue to perform as expected.

Capitalising interest is at best a (very) short term strategy in my opinion and I would discourage my clients from doing so on our funds.

Without commenting on the Navara fund (as I know nothing about it) I would suggest capitalising interest on an income fund was fraught with “danger” – mmm, too strong a word perhaps.

Really any form of income fund is going to have pretty much a relative “band” of performance if it is going to maintain the risk / return ratio at reasonable levels.

Let’s say (for the purposes of illustration) that an income fund aims to produce 9% PA and that it’s underlying strategy is reasonably able to achieve that with a consistent level of risk.

Year to year it might perform at (say) between 7% and 11% but it is unlikely to go higher then that if the risk stays constant.

If you capitalise interest you will start pushing the boundaries of the performance of the strategy and after a few years I would suggest you would be in a loss making position even though the fund may continue to perform as expected.

Capitalising interest is at best a (very) short term strategy in my opinion and I would discourage my clients from doing so on our funds.

Yep, agree 100% with that.

GSJ

Trying to marry two potentially conflicting temperaments does present an interesting challenge. It will be interesting if the observed greater volatility translates into a better return long-term.

Without quoting your entire post I think it was a very astute observation.

For example commercial property trusts are performing exceptionally well at the moment because sentiment is with them. The underlying investments are doing well too but the boosts to the share prices are probably out of proportion.

Better long term return therefore is a relative. If you bought low and are selling now then the answer would be "yes"< but if you bought high and tried to sell when sentiment was against them then the answer would be "no".

Really, what I have learned through all of this (and I guess this was my biggest mistake) is that regardless of the underlying investment sentiment rests with the share price on the day.

Yes of course Peter, I just didn't think you would want to be so specific on a public forum, but since you brought it up, are there any particular suburbs you think have better potential for capital growth or to use your fund strategy at this time?

Umm, Bulimba! (I live there and own property there so can only encourage people to come in and push prices up!!!).

Really, (and this may seem a bit naff) for somebody regularly acclaimed as a property guru I am a bit out of the market at the moment on a property by property basis.

My strategy (apart from my PPOR) is to land bank at the moment and so I am actually looking for areas where land prices are (temporarily) depressed so I can pick up large parcels for less then “book price”. So those purchases have different drivers to people who are wanting to gain by buying residential property.

But if I had to put a stake in the ground in a broad sweeping general way – I would go for the “life style” suburbs where the “up and coming” and the “already haves” want to live. My observations tell me these are the suburbs performing the best at the moment.

The up and comings are upgrading their PPOR at a furious pace to keep in line with the Jones and to reflect their ever increasing pay packets (my staff’s pays are increasing faster then the share market!!!).

The “already haves” are also paying premiums for prestige property accelerating growth in these areas (although I would be reticent to suggest investing in these areas unless you are prepared for the volatility and low rental returns).

And as a counter intuitive play – suburbs where prices have been overlooked and rents have not increased that much relative to their surrounds (if such a place exists).

Hi Peter,

Would it be advisable to invest in the suburbs that have shown the most growth lately due to demographic trends? (As for example Gen Y's buying up inner city properties and Gen X's moving slightly further out to suburbs with good amenities and larger houses for their young children).

I have been tracking a couple of suburbs in Melbourne recently with the view to investing in them. I have noticed that certain pockets within these suburbs are attracting very high prices compared with surrounding areas.

Would the trick to selecting a successful residential investment in today's investment environment be to work out whether people in the future will continue to be attracted to these particular areas, thus promoting sustained long term growth?

Regards Jason.

Fair enough Peter, sounds sensible. I can only 'landbank' with land that has houses on it zoned residential at present! I think there was a big thread about this a while back if anyone wants to do a search.

GSJ

Would the trick to selecting a successful residential investment in today's investment environment be to work out whether people in the future will continue to be attracted to these particular areas, thus promoting sustained long term growth?

Spot on Jason.

You should have a look at the Nirvana, I mean Navra Fund Peter ;) its been doing well for an income fund, for what its worth, I'm glad i hold the fund to assist in the shortfall with the - geared IP's

Not that I'm into capitlising the interest at this stage or looking at LOE, but it maybe something worthwhile in part in the future

You should have a look at the Nirvana, I mean Navra Fund Peter ;) its been doing well for an income fund, for what its worth, I'm glad i hold the fund to assist in the shortfall with the - geared IP's

So this is the fund that had two big selling points when it was launched .

1 it was going to out perform the ASX 200
2 no fees unless it matches it's outperformance

How's it going with those two ?

Cliff

I hope you are not looking to vent again re Navra Seech :confused:

I'm happy enough with the results of the Navra Fund (hopefully around 19-20% this FY), I also hold some direct shares in some financials and am looking at several other direct shares and funds, any help you can provide there is most welcomed (keep it simple though :D )

I know there's many people out there who can achieve better than the majority of managed funds independantly (though I dont think I'm one of em)a friend of mine took in around 60% last FY via direct shares, I dont know if it was more *** than class, but a good result nonetheless, he's happy as its given his SMSF a great boost

Originally Posted by see_change
From the point of view of longer term wealth creation , you should be aiming to maximise you profits during these periods by investing in vehicles that aim to take advantage of the strong trends to gain maximal capital growth during these periods.

Can't argue with that, I read a post about a young guy tipping $5k into a uranuim stock or two in Nov 2006 and is now sitting on around $50k;On our side regarding chasing that growth we've picked up an IP in Brisbane that has seen some CG over the last few Months so that looks great as well, Perth is also still ticking along with a lot of new activity, I still love the leverage available in Property

There are other Managed Funds that have gone gangbusters over this FY, there are also others that have underperformed, I'm looking at a couple of others to add to my portfolio as we speak and hope I choose well

Top Performing and Most Popular Funds

Maybe an Index Tracking Fund such as StreetTracks STW or Vanguard; for other funds maybe CS , Smallco or Platinum as well :confused: :confused:

For Direct Shares I prefer buy and hold as well, I don't have the time, inclination or capacity to trade regularly

Newbie Fund Managers

So this is the fund that had two big selling points when it was launched .

1 it was going to out perform the ASX 200
2 no fees unless it matches it's outperformance

How's it going with those two ?

Cliff

Redwing didn't answer these questions, but from what I read on Invested, it was doing well but not outperforming the index, and they are now charging fees despite that lack of outperformance...Could be wrong though...

Spann and Navra may be good investors in their own right, but it would seem that they are relative 'newbies' in the funds management business, which I would think has its own additional set of risks etc...?

GSJ

Last edited:
On the FreemanFox web site (www.freemanfox.com.au) there is a web cast where Peter outlines his latest fund offerings. Given the performance of the MEIF fund is anyone investing in the new income fund (GEIF) or the new growth fund?

John.

Back