Heidelberg west, VIC

Discussed several times. Do asearch, and particularly have a look for the posts by Spiderman.

Personal opinion is that it is still a bit rough, but well located, and significant potential.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Still some commission housing, although a lot of have been sold off to private owners. Gentrification happening but some streets should still be avoided.

A few years ago I worked in a local secondary school for 14 years, the majority of the students came from the West Heidelberg Area. We had some kids who were so cold one night, they pulled up the floorboards and lit a fire, they got so enthusiastic that the house caught on fire. The mother was out. She got a real shock when she got home!!! The house was rented from the Housing Commission, who rehoused the family.

Chris

I only have data for Heidelberg, (not broken down into east or west)...but it is interesting, not the be all or end all of anything just some more interesting information to stash away in your knicker draw:

According to the Victorian Valuer-General, the median house price for Heidelberg in 1994 was: $213,000 ....in 2004 it was: $425,000 a change of: 100%.

Eaglemont was 1994: $275,000 and 2004: $675,000 a change of 145%

Ivanhoe in 1994: $220,000 and 2004: $526,000 change of: 139%

East Ivanhoe 1994: $370,000 (only 10 sales in the year?) ..2004:$750,750 so a change of: 103%

Rosanna 1994: $150,000 and 2004: $375,000....change of: 150%

Doncaster 1994: $175,000 and 2004: $430,000 a change of: 146%

Aha! Also found my Top Performing Suburbs Across Melbourne List: 1994-2004
(Courtesy of Victorian Valuer-General again)..

For the Northeast suburbs they rate in order:

Fairfield

Heidelberg West a change of 209% for the 1994-2004 period.

With growth per annum at: 11.9%

0.0% change from 2003 to 2004

With a median Price of: 2004: $249,950

Briar Hill

Alphington

Collingwood

Vast difference in statistics for Heidelberg and Heidelberg West.

I know nothing about that the why of that, and I do not invest in Melbourne or suburbs as of yet.

Discussed several times. Do asearch, and particularly have a look for the posts by Spiderman.

You mean the one where I mentioned that (i) the biggest burn-out I'd seen was in Heidelberg West and (ii) the only street-based needle disposal bin was seen there but that parts of HW are just a few hundred metres from Northland?

Peter

You mean the one where I mentioned that (i) the biggest burn-out I'd seen was in Heidelberg West and (ii) the only street-based needle disposal bin was seen there but that parts of HW are just a few hundred metres from Northland?

Peter

Yep, that'd be the one :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

There is a HUGE difference between Heidelberg and Heidelberg West

The stats for Heidelberg have no relationship to Heidelberg West

Peter's description is pretty close to the streets I was referring to.

There are pockets undergoing gentrification though.

Aldi have opened in Heidelberg West.

Chris

I'm looking hard at Heidelberg, Heidelberg Heights, & Heidelberg West. I've made some offers (rejected) and bid at some auctions (failed). Prices are going up very quickly at the moment. The agents are being genuinely surprised by the prices. Neighbours are confirming that the prices are moving quickly (like alot of inner Melbourne). Like others have said, the suburbs are well located, parts have a bad reputation, gentrification is happening. Heidelberg commands the highest prices, then Heidelberg Heights (the closer to the station the higher the price), then Heidelberg west. Gentrification is in full swing in HH and in the early stages in HW. HW is still pretty rough - last open inspect I went to had a beer can, ecstacy baggie, and valium foil pack thrown in the front bushes. Spiderman's comment about Northland is spot on. The price ripple spreads out from Heidelberg but if I was buying in HW, I see more value in buying near Northland (furthest from Heidelberg) than near Heidelberg.

Dis

Knowing the area I would be looking as close to Waiora Road as possible, the end of Murray Road, near Waiora Road, is coming on very nicely with the gentrification.

Over the other side of Bell Street there is the commission area of Ivanhoe - I think its Ivanhoe West - some parts of there are worth looking at, as with HW there are some areas to avoid but just driving down the street you can tell!!!

Chris

Know it well

I have a friend in Heidelberg West. I think the capital gains will be pretty good but id be worried about the cashflow (in terms of quality of tennant, repairs etc etc). As other have said lots of welfare recipients in the area (very high percentage), which in my opinion will mean a long time before it becomes gentrified.

I have witnessed (like spiderman) a young fella doing burnouts on his own front lawn on a motorcross bike. Went for 10 minutes, no-one blinked.

His mother obvousily doesnt care about the Azaleas! (or the neighbours)

And yes there is a huge difference between Heidelberg West and Heidelberg proper.

Cheers
Aussie

Dis

Knowing the area I would be looking as close to Waiora Road as possible, the end of Murray Road, near Waiora Road, is coming on very nicely with the gentrification.

Thanks Chrispy. Thats pretty much where I am focusing as it gives best access to the station. Walking distance to Heidelberg station would obviously be best but even Rosanna station isnt to be discounted.

Over the other side of Bell Street there is the commission area of Ivanhoe - I think its Ivanhoe West - some parts of there are worth looking at, as with HW there are some areas to avoid but just driving down the street you can tell!!!

Chris
You mean Bellfield? There are very few houses for sale here - don't know why. When they do come, up they seem on par with HW or the not so good part of HH. For the same money,I'd rather buy in:
- HH with a walk to Rosanna station / Austin Hospital
- HW with a walk to Northland.

Dis

No Ivanhoe West is not Bellfield. I.E is the area off Darebin Road. It was a Housing Commission area, there are some good areas and some not so good ones. It has access to Ivanhoe Station via the yellow bus.

Within walking distance of Heidelberg Station is preferable to Rosanna, as Heidelberg is Zone 1 and Rosanna is the start of Zone 2 makes letting easier.

Parking at both stations is almost impossible these days. The only chance of parking is during school and Uni holidays.

Chris

Back