What the heck is going on with Gosford

How does Gosford CBD rate for growth ? There seems to be plenty of 2 bed townhouses around the $250k. What sort of rent would they likely attract ?

PS: I don't know Gosford but it seems to have resonable infrastructure and a train line.

Hi all
I actually live in Umina, and owned the Newsagency here from 1998 to 2004. We bought the old laundromat site and put a new building on it for the newsagency. I remember having to get the street cleaners, who double as security here, to turf out the druggies living,(if you can call it that), and shooting up there. Not nice, but this is everywhere.
Yes Umina and Woy Woy do have a lot of teenage problems. And yes a large percentage of welfare recipients. Saw trouble mostly weekends. No the Police did not give up. In fact with the resources available, they have done a stellar job. Ok we did have two smahed windows in almost 7 years. And yes I know some investors who have experienced the 'tenant from hell' too many times.
There were something like 13 real estate agents in Umina and Woy Woy, but don't quote me. I was talking to a Gosford agent this morning, and business is brisk, his end of town, despite the looming election. As far as capital growth goes, it is certainly good for the right area. Again, its a case of the streets with largest number of house proud owner occupiers that are enjoying a steady 10 to 11% CG. My own place, which I have held for 24 years has tracked at 11% for every one of those years. I have just done a print out of street sales, and after some time studying various streets, the picture is more positive than negative.
We did even better on the commercial side of investing here and in North Gosford. There is visual evidence of redevelopment happening all over 2256 & 2257. Long term, the locality of the area, in terms of beaches, waterways, the close proximity to Sydney by the Palm Beach ferry makes it an attractive area. From anecdotal evidence, I know of many Metro retirees either selling up and say buying at St Hubert's or Pearl Beach, Umina and The Two Woys, because of the closeness to the train, therefore a quick trip to Sydney.

This place is just another suburb of Sydney, but like all things reported in the popular media, its overplayed dramatically.

Which part of Gosford do you mean? The CBD is pretty small and is mostly units and commercial. The actual Gosford council area is huge.

As for the CBD and surrounds, it has unemployement, social, low income, drug, etc problems.

Economically it used to be in ok shape but when Erina Fair (a large Westfield type centre) opened a few ks away. It has declined noticeably as most of the shoppers in a radius of say 0km - 20km go to Erina Fair instead of the main Gosford CBD.

They have just finished installing a security CCTV network all over the Gosford CBD and planning has started planning for the same on the peninsula.

How does Gosford CBD rate for growth ? There seems to be plenty of 2 bed townhouses around the $250k. What sort of rent would they likely attract ?

PS: I don't know Gosford but it seems to have resonable infrastructure and a train line.

As for the CBD and surrounds, it has unemployement, social, low income, drug, etc problems.

Would it be as "bad" as Sydney suburbs with apparently similar problems such as Liverpool, Campbelltown etc?
Its easy for an area to get a bad wrap but I wonder if Gosford is like these Sydney suburbs which aren't as bad as the media make out and where the majority of residents lead a quiet, safe life.

Would it be as "bad" as Sydney suburbs with apparently similar problems such as Liverpool, Campbelltown etc?
Its easy for an area to get a bad wrap but I wonder if Gosford is like these Sydney suburbs which aren't as bad as the media make out and where the majority of residents lead a quiet, safe life.

Exactly, I grew up on the Northern Beaches and it is just as bad there, as it is here.
You will find trouble at many a drinking venue in the early morning hours.

I know someone that works in the Umina PO and he was telling me someone tried to burn it down last week. Apparently the firies said if they had arrived 10 mins later the place would have been gone.

Luckily, only the rear quarter and some of the roof had minor fire/smoke damage.

And last time i was there i noticed a few more shops with the roller security shutters and some with bars on in the Umina CBD.

And apparently theres still the big blues in & outside the OB pub on the weekends. Classic!

Most of the development on the peninsula over the last 5-10 years have been those ugly 'gun barrel' 2/3 villa things. Terrible.

Hi all
I actually live in Umina, and owned the Newsagency here from 1998 to 2004. We bought the old laundromat site and put a new building on it for the newsagency. I remember having to get the street cleaners, who double as security here, to turf out the druggies living,(if you can call it that), and shooting up there. Not nice, but this is everywhere.
Yes Umina and Woy Woy do have a lot of teenage problems. And yes a large percentage of welfare recipients. Saw trouble mostly weekends. No the Police did not give up. In fact with the resources available, they have done a stellar job. Ok we did have two smahed windows in almost 7 years. And yes I know some investors who have experienced the 'tenant from hell' too many times.
There were something like 13 real estate agents in Umina and Woy Woy, but don't quote me. I was talking to a Gosford agent this morning, and business is brisk, his end of town, despite the looming election. As far as capital growth goes, it is certainly good for the right area. Again, its a case of the streets with largest number of house proud owner occupiers that are enjoying a steady 10 to 11% CG. My own place, which I have held for 24 years has tracked at 11% for every one of those years. I have just done a print out of street sales, and after some time studying various streets, the picture is more positive than negative.
We did even better on the commercial side of investing here and in North Gosford. There is visual evidence of redevelopment happening all over 2256 & 2257. Long term, the locality of the area, in terms of beaches, waterways, the close proximity to Sydney by the Palm Beach ferry makes it an attractive area. From anecdotal evidence, I know of many Metro retirees either selling up and say buying at St Hubert's or Pearl Beach, Umina and The Two Woys, because of the closeness to the train, therefore a quick trip to Sydney.

This place is just another suburb of Sydney, but like all things reported in the popular media, its overplayed dramatically.

How many CBDs do you know of with a monitored security CCTV system installed?

Gosford and the peninsula has a similar demographic/psychographic to say some outer Sydney suburbs. Areas like say suburbs surrounding Mt Druitt, Minto, Mac Fields etc.

Yes that is true evand. It has problems for sure. No denying it. There was a murder on Ocean Beach Rd about 4 weeks ago. All terrible things. More than likely a drug deal fall out. Life goes on, people still come to live and invest, and the caravan park still charges a truck load to stay there. So what!
I used to get the occasional methadone dreg abuse me. But, I'd walk past the same dreg carrying up to $20k in cash on a big Powerbal/Pension day, and get a nod. I have never lived in fear here.

They have just finished installing a security CCTV network all over the Gosford CBD and planning has started planning for the same on the peninsula.

I believe this a good thing .

CCTV is an integral part of modern urban planning - world wide.

New commercial precints and infrastructure have this built in at the planning stage while councils have to play catch up to get it into existing areas.

I never lived in fear there either but i think theres a bit more to life (and a place to live) than to not live in fear.

I'm just relating my experiences mate. I apologise if it come across the wrong way, but everything i have said is fact.

BTW: i knew plenty of decent druggies/alchos from the area. :)

Thats cute (and probably correct) but this one was installed for a specific, obvious reason.

I believe this a good thing .

CCTV is an integral part of modern urban planning - world wide.

New commercial precints and infrastructure have this built in at the planning stage while councils have to play catch up to get it into existing areas.

Im not doubting you evand, "coasties" have always had a bit of a reputation.

Hopefully though the good and bad pockets are distinguishable?

How do you see suburbs like Gorokan, Lake Haven, Mannering Park etc?

2010 onwards will see good growth in the sea change locations along central coast

2010 will see good growth in the sea change locations along central coast as baby boomers retire in increasing numbers out of Sydney to this area.
Budgewoi will see good rises off a very low base. Finally form a surfing POM who been to the coast once on holidays I cant wait to visit the area again and am thinking about buying a holiday home its so much nicer than the north shore & a fraction of the value :cool:

Chris B

Sorry, its a bit of a marketing term. It sort of means people with the same personality or beliefs etc. Whereas demographics is about a group of people with say the same age, income, etc

psy·cho·graph·ics /ˌsaɪkəˈgræfɪks/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahy-kuh-graf-iks] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun (used with a singular verb)

the use of demographics to determine the attitudes and tastes of a particular segment of a population, as in marketing studies.

What the?

:)

TB

Back