Tiled Floor In Top Floor Strata Unit

Hi all,

In about 5 weeks or so I will commence a 4 week reno on a 2 bed 2 bath unit Ive just purchased.
My question is, I am planning to tile the living area floors with 600 porcelien tiles. I have done this before in 2 other top floor units and achieved magnificent results asthetically speaking. I have not had problems with the body corp previously (although they weren't informed, oops I forgot) and have had no noise complaints from tennants downstairs. Admittedly one of those tennants is stone deaf so that probably helped a bit

Anyway I have heard that the BC can make you replace the new floor coverings with something that is acoustically similar to the old floor coverings. Is this the case and are there rules/guidelines regarding acoustic matters in strata units.
I want to get this sorted so as not to upset anyone and make sure that I cover my #*@!.

Thanks
Slingshot

I think you'd find that tiles are actually less noisy than floating floors, so I wouldn't imagine they'd be a problem. I've installed them in lieu of lino in a unit with no issues, but it may pay to check with the OC just in case- there are some rabid owners out there who want to boycott anything and everything in units...

Thanks Jacque,

I will definately check it out. Might check with the master builders in QLD and if there are no definitive rules, tiles it will be.

Thanks

I think the rules read something like:

floor coverings should not be changed so as to increase sound transmission to other units. The exceptions are bathrooms and kitchens.

Not very specific and open to interpretation

Cheers
Pulse

Owners in one block where we own a unit were ordered to put back the carpet after fully tilling their units.

They not only tiled their unit but also continued outside and over the side of their balcony so it was not only noise but also visual.

I have tiled all units in a block and it is definitely noisier as a result, not so much in transmission through the floors but rather through the air.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have also tiled my unit (ppor) and I love it. Sure the noise bounces around alot more but on the upside, you dont need to turn the stereo up as load nor raise your voice to be heard from room to room:)
In all seriousness the tiles are great, really easy to keep clean and a wayward glass of red or two is not a problem. Im all in favour of them, and for a rental, (assuming you have the right tennant) you dont have regular replacement costs like you do with carpets etc.
As I mentioned I will check it out probably with MBA or similar and if its OK legally I wont mention it to the BC, they can be very resistant to change sometimes.

As always thanks for the input
Slingshot

Hi all,

In about 5 weeks or so I will commence a 4 week reno on a 2 bed 2 bath unit Ive just purchased.
My question is, I am planning to tile the living area floors with 600 porcelien tiles. I have done this before in 2 other top floor units and achieved magnificent results asthetically speaking. I have not had problems with the body corp previously (although they weren't informed, oops I forgot) and have had no noise complaints from tennants downstairs. Admittedly one of those tennants is stone deaf so that probably helped a bit

Anyway I have heard that the BC can make you replace the new floor coverings with something that is acoustically similar to the old floor coverings. Is this the case and are there rules/guidelines regarding acoustic matters in strata units.
I want to get this sorted so as not to upset anyone and make sure that I cover my #*@!.

Thanks
Slingshot

in the high rise buidings i work in they lay a composite rubber sheet under all tiles over living/outside dining areas ,this creates a sound barrier to existing floors ,

in the high rise buidings i work in they lay a composite rubber sheet under all tiles over living/outside dining areas ,this creates a sound barrier to existing floors ,

Thanks Tom, I will investigate.
I noticed that you make kitchens! I will need a new custom benchtop for that same unit soon as well very shortly. I normally get these through Gold Coast Post Form but I can drop you a line direct if you'd like to give me a quote.

Thanks again.
Slingshot

I put hard floors in a unit.

* I read up on laws in the "Strata Living" booklet in my state (NSW)
* I discovered a precedent in my block (another owner on my floor had replaced carpet with hard flooring)
* I got permission in writing from a member of the BC
* I put soundproofing under the flooring (wasn't tiles, was floating timber)

Strata Living booklet put out by Dept of Fair trading in NSW
http://www.findlaw.com.au/Downloads/fairtradingNSW_strata.pdf

additional notes:
- The exec member was mistaken. The neighbors wooden floor turned out to be wood-look laminate.... so it wasn't 'zacly the same as what I installed but it helped the exec say 'yup' to me so who's complaining?
- Soundproofing wasn't needed by law. No apts underneath only garages but soundproofing cheap as chips so did it anyway.

Page 22 of strata living (link above)

"Floor coverings

You must cover the floor of your lot or
treat it to stop noise which may disturb
another resident.This does not apply to
the kitchen, laundry, lavatory or
bathroom of a lot. (Note:This by-law
was previously By-law 25 in Schedule 1
to the Freehold Act and By-law 26 in
Schedule 3 to the Leasehold Act)."​

Despite knowing that I chose to take the above bullet point steps in my previous post. There is NO WAY I would have the floor installed only to take it out again. Waste of money (supplies) and effort (your own or the money you paid a tradie)

Another thing to keep an eye out for is if the body corporate is responsible for any floor coverings. I know in the top floor apartment we're living in currently (will be our second IP in a few months when we move to do it all again) the bathroom floor is part of body corporate property. The rest of the apartment was fine for us to re-tile/carpet but the bathroom needed approval from body corp. Since we were tiling over the top of the existing tiles it wasn't a huge issue to get them to say it was ok.
Good luck.

-ZXR

Back