interest rate increases - a different question...

There's plenty of threads around on whether rates are going to go up or down etc, and we've all got an opinion on it i'm sure.

However - here's a new one.

Do you think the RBA will raise rates by MORE than a quarter of a percent ?

(has this ever happened historically ? I can probably go check it out on their site, but i'm just curious)

edit - historically, yes, it has risen by an entire percent several times in the past.. as well as half a percent, and it's also dropped by half a percent.. there's also been a few 3/4 percent changes..

All through the 90s they did raise by more than .25 points, but with debt being higher and pass through of increases more effective they will probably just increase by .25 more often.

The forecast for inflation is looking scarey though, so they may use a couple of .5 increases to put more pressure on the breaks. It would unsettle the local markets a little I would think....

if it was up to me, i'd do a .5% increase purely to say "well, you people haven't listened so far, so now it's really going to hurt"

and in 6 months, pull it back again maybe..

but then, i know nothign about economics..

When interest rates are in the vicinity of 15% - 18%. A quarter % rise doesnt have the same effect as it would when rates are say 5% - 8%. Thats my take on it.

In the late 80s - 90s half a percent or more rise/fall was pretty much always the go.

I know they can, but I can't see them raising it more than .25% per time. Would cause too much panic amongst the huddled masses.

I know they can, but I can't see them raising it more than .25% per time. Would cause too much panic amongst the huddled masses.
Given the overseas markets at the moment, there is yet to be many convincing arguments that rates will continue to rise beyond mid-2008.
The handing back of union power could offer us a disproportionate wage spike which could trigger a further rise or two, however the likelyhood of recession in the US is growing and the knock-on effects to small economies like Australia have yet to be tested in the current environment.

They can be small increments now as Australians are carrying so much more debt than they used to. So I continue to see .25% rises but if they truly get spooked I suppose they could go .5% but it wouldn't be common.

I'm guessing that the RBA would be more inclined to go for two consecutive months of .25 rises rather than a .5 rise in one hit...

Well I am hoping for 3 consecutive raises. That should dampen prices enough to allow me to use existing equity to buy some cheap diamonds in the rough in time for them drop 'em and ride the next boom!

Back