Construction Cost

Have just completed two side-by-side two-storey, 4 bedroom x 3 bathroom townhouses (220m2 floor area each) in southwest suburb of Melbourne.

High spec fitout including aircon, polished boards, SS appliances, landscaping, paving and fitout. Building contract was approx $320,000 each thereby making construct cost approx $1450/m2.

Note this did not include consultants fees (architect, surveyors, local council etc).

Hi Joe,

I am proposing to construct 2 double story side by side townhouses in Ormond, Melbourne and will soon be on the lookout for a good builder that won't cost the earth.

The architect is busily working on the plans so it's still 6 months+ before we are in a position to build. I have chosen to go medium to medium/high quality and have decided that it must have 4 bedrooms and min. 2 bathrooms.

I had an informal chat with one builder recently and he gave me a ballpark figure of $350K - $375K per dwelling based on what I wanted, but to be honest, my budget for the project would allow for a cost of more like $300K - $350K per dwelling.

Are you happy with the job these guys did for you, and if so, are you able to supply the name of the company?

Thanks in advance,
Frank.

for some builders its a bit like buying a car, they are advertised for 33k, and the salesman asks if you would like wheels and seats too!, OH! is the reply , yes please, welll that will be 2k seats and 2k wheels , comming in at 39k , Buts thats more than 33k +4k, yes well! we have delivery charges too!, no its ok ill go down to melbourn and pick it up?
Sorry you cant do that?:confused:
Buggers,:mad:

cool - come over to WA... got plenty of work for you at $1000sqm for 2 storey! :)
Ditto!

Sailesh, you don't want to tender for my MUH build in Mona Vale do you? ;)

In fact, I will be tendering this in the next couple of months so if anyone knows of a good builder that does medium density stuff in Sydney and would be happy to build in the Northern Beaches then post or PM me their details so I can invite them to tender.

Cheers,
Michael

cool - come over to WA... got plenty of work for you at $1000sqm for 2 storey! :)

and after hes finished there, Nth Qld awaits.............at that price!

one one charging that low per sq mtr these days.........

ya get what ya pay for..id sooner pay a bit extra and have nice fittings, pathwayall around the house, etc etc, list goes on than a box with 1/2 dozen tiles in the bath and the rest paintwork.........

Melbourne Townhouses

Are you happy with the job these guys did for you, and if so, are you able to supply the name of the company?

The Builder's were Paul and Richard Clayton (0418621057/0409705655). They did a great job and do plenty of work in the area.

Townhouses are currently being advertised for lease and I attach link below:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=71568143&s=vic&tm=1245405204

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=64660669&s=vic&tm=1245403546

Frank, I have sent you a PM.

Last edited:
The Builder's were Paul and Richard Clayton (0418621057/0409705655). They did a great job and do plenty of work in the area.

Townhouses are currently being advertised for lease and I attach link below:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=71568143&s=vic&tm=1245405204

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=64660669&s=vic&tm=1245403546

Frank, I have sent you a PM.

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for the info, it's much appreciated. I will definitely keep these guys in mind when trying to tee up a builder.

Kind Regards,
Frank.

Ditto!

Sailesh, you don't want to tender for my MUH build in Mona Vale do you? ;)

In fact, I will be tendering this in the next couple of months so if anyone knows of a good builder that does medium density stuff in Sydney and would be happy to build in the Northern Beaches then post or PM me their details so I can invite them to tender.

Cheers,
Michael

At this stage we are busy enough in Brisbane. The next growth plan would be to expand to working on the south side of Brisbane. So interstate plans will have to wait.

We have also cut down our work load lately to focus on getting our construction company accredited under the national code and audited by the Fedral Safety Commission. This is so we can get onto the building panel for Defence Housing. This means we will have a diverse range of work that we can tender on, thus further solidifying our business.

and after hes finished there, Nth Qld awaits.............at that price!

one one charging that low per sq mtr these days.........

ya get what ya pay for..id sooner pay a bit extra and have nice fittings, pathwayall around the house, etc etc, list goes on than a box with 1/2 dozen tiles in the bath and the rest paintwork.........

The best way to assess the quality is to go through several homes the builder is building.

Builders that have a set group of contractors that they use on a regular basis is more likely to produce a better quality of work. This also gives the builder a chance to set the standard of work that they have to adhere to. You will find that this will be the case for most mid-sized builders.

Large builders face the problem of poor management, poor communication and high overheads. Most large builders will not pay contractors well which means they will end up with poor quality contractors. They also have a high turnover of contractors which leads to disputes over rectification work.

Adequate supervision is also critical to quality and timely completion.

$200K for 200 sq m. Can you PM me some details. Is that for a double storey townhouse

Ausprop,
I built my house four years ago, contract price was $270K. This figure does not iclude floor coverings, internal painting, landscaping etc, we ended up spending about $70K finishing it off. My FIL is a new homes salesman for Beaumonde Homes and these are the figures that he has indicated to me , using their most recent sales prices as a guide. I've even done a stint in the display home but really didn't enjoy it:(
As for Celebrations, I've built 6 houses with them over the last few years and agree that $200k for a 200sqm house is about on the money, however, this would include all internal/external finishes ie turn key.

Boods

Hi Joe

Can you give me the builder details and can you post some pics if possible or possibly design

Many Thanks
Manish

Have just completed two side-by-side two-storey, 4 bedroom x 3 bathroom townhouses (220m2 floor area each) in southwest suburb of Melbourne.

High spec fitout including aircon, polished boards, SS appliances, landscaping, paving and fitout. Building contract was approx $320,000 each thereby making construct cost approx $1450/m2.

Note this did not include consultants fees (architect, surveyors, local council etc).

Building a house using a project home builder and building townhouses are 2 seperate things.
You can get a project built home for a good price. You have to remember that they buy in bulk and can get items for cheaper than custom builder.
Project builders will not build based on your plans, only theirs. Some allow changes to be made to their plans, at a fee of course. Single dwellings with a 14 meter frontage is much easier to build than a townhouse.
Townhouse construction is in a leauge of it's own. Therefore you can't compare what a single project home costs to build vs a townhouse development.

Hi Frank,

Long time reader of this forum and my first post. Now, I am in a position of building 2 Double story townhouses in Bentleigh area. Based on your building timeframe, it looks like you have finalized your project in Ormond. How did you find the experience and were you happy with the builder chosen?
At this point in time, we are in discussion with few builders and we are amazed on the price per sq difference. Mind you, we have handed them the same wd's and project specs. Any recommendations, advices, will be much appreciated.

Hi Joe,

I am proposing to construct 2 double story side by side townhouses in Ormond, Melbourne and will soon be on the lookout for a good builder that won't cost the earth.

The architect is busily working on the plans so it's still 6 months+ before we are in a position to build. I have chosen to go medium to medium/high quality and have decided that it must have 4 bedrooms and min. 2 bathrooms.

I had an informal chat with one builder recently and he gave me a ballpark figure of $350K - $375K per dwelling based on what I wanted, but to be honest, my budget for the project would allow for a cost of more like $300K - $350K per dwelling.

Thanks in advance,
Frank.

Back