Heard of these guys? Worth a look?

I've been asked by a mate to come along to a seminar next Monday on "Positive Real Estate" - http://www.positiverealestate.com.au.

I'm always very sceptical of these things, but figure it's worth having a look and possibly learning a thing or two.

Has anyone dealt with these guys before? Any thoughts?

I don't know about the company, but if it's free - can't hurt you to go along. You may pick up one or two bits of useful info, just be prepared for a sales pitch along the way somewhere.

I've had several mates go along to various different ones.

All of them went to a follow up "One on One" (still free) meeting afterwards, but some of them said they "chose" to, while others said they were under a lot of pressure to.

Either way, go with a level head, and preferably someone who doesn't have an interest in property, to stop you signing anything on the day.

None of my friends have actually bought though. They all said the properties were overpriced compared to surrounding properties.

It always makes me think; "If these properties are such a good deal, then why are they passing them onto you?"

I'm skeptical anyway, and it could be a genuine win-win situation, but keep the scam antennae way up.

I have seen their advert. so many times in API mag. But i guess as many Gurus here suggested...do your own DD/research and i am sure you will find something good.
Its worth going to seminar if its free :)

As long as you attend with an open mind and closed wallet ... you should be ok.

There are very ethical presenters who simply find it a more cost effective method to sell investment product via seminar than getting face to face one on one.

Many people are time poor and this kind of service can help.
Nothing beats due dilligence though ...

I used to sell new homes and found that by getting all of the weekly enquiries into a display home one evening ... I could explain building to them as a group.

Then the interested ones ... would get an appointment.

It meant I had better first appointment conversions and spent more time with the family... and the clients learned from me and each other.

Unfortunately there have been many scam artists use this method which then gives everyone a bad name.

It doens't hurt to attend one of this seminar.....its free......and it gives you different perspective. I went to dozens and never get bored of it...

Hiya,

This group was recently discussed here.

Please note that my comments in the linked thread and in this one, below, may be a little biased, as I am often involved in the group in an indirect manner.

The monthly seminars are run in two stages.

Monday nights (in Melb) are the PIN (Property Information Nights) and usually feature some background on the main characters and often an external presenter to share some information. Yes, part of the evening is spent gearing towards generating interest in the main program; below.

Tuesday is specifically for the mentoring group and invited guests from the PIN who may be interested in signing up. (I just got home from this month's meeting about an hour ago... a few of us like to gather for a drink and a chat afterwards.) People share details on what they have done and how many properties they have bought or sold in the last month, and again, there is a presentation or two. Usually the formal part of the evening closes with a couple of deals that have been arranged that can be bought into. For whatever it's worth, I understand that the people behind the group no longer buy these projects out as they are looking at bigger and better deals (ie, featuring an extra zero or so in the price tag).

Not for everyone, certainly; and yes, much of the information heard during the PIN will probably be at least a step or two below the knowledge of many on this forum. Approaching the free sessions with an open mind and with impulses under control may perhaps have some benefit, for some. I have seen some friends and clients do very well as a result of the help from this group, though.

Cheers

James.

Hiya,
I have seen some friends and clients do very well as a result of the help from this group, though.

Cheers

James.

Easy statement to make.

Care to give a specific example James. I have done this with my own properties at various times here, and I don't have any products or services to sell.

These guys do, so it's only fair that we get a "for example"; especially since you're pushing their barrow now.

No specific address, just a general area or town will do; but certainly some numbers.

Purchase price, date, rental yield at purchase, current rental yield - stuff like that.

Then I'll be happy and take of my scam alert hat.

If they are truly cash flow positive, then what's preventing the sponsors of this group from getting 5 , 50 or 500 properties in their portfolio.

That's the question I would like resolved above anything else.

An example would be the first step to see if it was worthwhile to attend I would
have thought.
In an era of rising Interest rates Cash flow positive would seem even more unlikely

Easy statement to make.

Care to give a specific example James. I have done this with my own properties at various times here, and I don't have any products or services to sell.

These guys do, so it's only fair that we get a "for example"; especially since you're pushing their barrow now.

No specific address, just a general area or town will do; but certainly some numbers.

Purchase price, date, rental yield at purchase, current rental yield - stuff like that.

Then I'll be happy and take of my scam alert hat.

Hiya,

No, please, keep the hat on. A healthy skepticism is important. And I do apologise for appearing to push their barrow; I did make the disclaimer at the start and tried to keep my posts objective. Perhaps my choice of words was not as apt as I had hoped. For whatever it is worth, there is no direct benefit to myself, financial or otherwise, whether there are five or five hundred people there. When I mention being indirectly involved, this currently means that I get invited along to stand in the corner and speak up if someone has an accounting-type question.

Now, I am aware that many of the properties sourced by the group are not positive cashflow. Some are, after tax, and some are not. As many people have, the strategies have been reassessed with a changing market and as such much of the profit from such deals is targeted via capital growth instead (or as well as) rental yields.

Anyway, I emailed one of the mentoring students this morning to provide a recent example. Reply came as follows:

Tabitha said:
Their guidance enabled us to put together more advanced deals like a true no money down one in Batemans Bay recently.

I negotiated a block of 4 x units for $730K.

The vendor was keen to sell and there was a strata plan existing that hadn't yet been registered, so it was easy to talk the vendor into strata-ing them for us prior to settlement. We then settled 30 days after registration of titles on the valuers end val of $915K.

This left us with a line of credit of equity even after stamps, deposit funds, etc were taken back out.

So a true no-money down deal and the shortfall in rental is covered by what's left of the equity so nothing comes out of our own pocket in funding this deal either for the initial purchase or to hold.

Also to note, market val of those units today is approx $1,060,000.

The units have harbour views and we'll hold them for growth.
Again, I am certainly not trying to push any agenda. I replied to the thread knowing that I may have a little information about the topic to share, and tried to do so in an objective manner. As with anything that I've posted, please, take it with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Cheers

James.

James.[/QUOTE]
Again, I am certainly not trying to push any agenda. I replied to the thread knowing that I may have a little information about the topic to share, and tried to do so in an objective manner. As with anything that I've posted, please, take it with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Cheers

Feel for you James ... you will find a sharp resistance from many on this forum to any type of educators session ... can't really blame them with all the problems in recent years.

I do believe your coments were of genuine nature

Back