Tenant wants compensation

The tenants want compensation for a hot water heater they claimed was faulty and didn't turn off (ie. constantly heating whether it needed it or not)

The agent investigated the water heater and had the hot water replaced at our cost. The reason was there was a bulge in the bottom of the hot water tank and the electrician said it was due to explode. I did see the bulge and it definitely needed to be replaced. We managed to replace the hot water heater before the service was interrupted.

Now they're having problems paying the electricity bill because it's too high and had their service disconnected. Now they're coming after us.

We don't particularly like these tenants, so I'm not willing to compensate just to keep them happy. They pay their rent on time but only after we took them to the tribunal and had an order put against them. They never fix anything and request many nitpicky handyman jobs.

Am I obligated to compensate them if I've replaced the hot water heater already? :mad::mad:

Should I just tell them we're happy to compensate them if they can provide an exact amount the heater fault was responsible for? :D

Jireh

How long was the hot water system faulty for?
If the tennants informed you of the problem as soon as it arised, then the electricity bill could'nt be that big, could it??:confused:

Boods

Ask them to detail their request in writing so you can follow it through properly. This will force them to put an amount down. Then dependin gon how sensible/silly they are being, you can determine your best course of action, which may begin with questioning their logic (on how they worked out the exact amount the heater fault was responsible for)

I have had a faulty hot water service, which I did not realise wasn't woking until I received the electricity bill- $1500 over the normal bill for one month,; the next bill was also quite high as the problem was still there in the period from when the meter was read to when we received the bill.

This was a commercial lease, so it's different from your case.

If the problem was in the equipment, I'd suspect that you, as the landlord, would be liable for making good at least some of the losses which the tenant incurred as a result of the equipment in the house not working. At least it will be deductible.

Awwwhhhh....you're such a big meany.

I think you should think more about the stress and angst you have caused your tenants. If I was you, I'd pay them fully and completely everything that they asked for.

If you wish to go the extra mile....like all good Landlords should do, I'd also buy some flowers and chocolates for the Tenants for all of the grief and stress you've put them through.

I don't know how you could sleep at night.

Ask them to detail their request in writing so you can follow it through properly. This will force them to put an amount down. Then dependin gon how sensible/silly they are being, you can determine your best course of action, which may begin with questioning their logic (on how they worked out the exact amount the heater fault was responsible for)

Add to this, a copy of the electricity bill, plus one for the same period last year.

I had a similar problem. Just check if they reported the problem as soon as they were aware of it. In WA the lease agreements I have states that the tenant is to report any fault in any of the equipment with in three days. If not they could be liable for any damages occurring from not reporting the problem. I had an electrical hot water sytem and it was when the tenants had a larger than normal water and electric bill, they investigated and found fault in system I replaced to gas ASAP and paid the difference in their bills due to fault.
May I ask what type of lease you have theses people on?? If it is peroidical or fixed term,you can choose not to renew.
Also if the problem of high cost of electricity continues is it because they are using other appliances such as air conditioners?? make sure that there is not a fault with the actual power metre.

Add to this, a copy of the electricity bill, plus one for the same period last year.

Skater's suggestion is the sensible option, ..... compare last years bill for the same time period as this years and see if their is a major difference in dollar amounts, .... if so, then it's your call as to whether you compensate them the difference, ... if their is no real difference just forget about it.

Martin

I need a new agent. This one just isn't trying anymore to "manage" the situation.

Well, they haven't specified an amount they want. Apparently it was quite big. The agent claims they sent the bill through to us. They're just asked for an offset. I'm tempted to photocopy a 2 dollar coin and send that as an attachment.

I like the idea of the chocolates. Do I have to send the entire box for it to be tax deductible?

J

I need a new agent. This one just isn't trying anymore to "manage" the situation.

Well, they haven't specified an amount they want. Apparently it was quite big. The agent claims they sent the bill through to us. They're just asked for an offset. I'm tempted to photocopy a 2 dollar coin and send that as an attachment.

I like the idea of the chocolates. Do I have to send the entire box for it to be tax deductible?

J

Gifts are tax deductible, so yes, the chocolates are deductible.

I would ask to see the bill, compare it to previous bills, or even better compare to last years bill. If it is significantly larger, you should offer to pay them, as its not their fault your equipment isn't working.

Element heating whether it needs it or not,,,
I picture in my mind(those who know me will appreciate the irony)'s eye a failing water service...($0.02)

water tank 100L
Water heater element 2400w(2.4KJ/s) or two of them in a fast recovery system
specific heat of water 4.19KJ/L[sup]o[/sup] (4.19KJ to raise 1L of water 1 degree)
2.4KJ/second * 3600 seconds per hour = 8640KJ per hour
8640KJ /4.19 kj/Ldegree = 2062 L degrees (enough heat to raise 2062 l by 1 degree or 1L by 2062 degrees or 100L tank goes up 20.62 degrees per hour)
starts to boil in 2 hours,
steam comes out the overpressure valve,
clouds of steam
steam constantly flowing out in whatever location the tank is,
garage filled with steam when you park the car
eternal steam clouds around the patio
gouts of steam blowing over the neighbours
windows fogged up
plants wilting
laundry refuses to dry
fungus growing everywhere
athletes foot, legs, arms, athletes everything
steamed cabbage, without a stove

Not to mention the skin boiled off -
-any person who tried to wash a dish in the sink
-any person who tried to shower
-any hand washed woollies
-the dog when he had a bath

nobody noticed? for how many months?

Sorry no change given if not 2c worth

Awwwhhhh....you're such a big meany.

I think you should think more about the stress and angst you have caused your tenants. If I was you, I'd pay them fully and completely everything that they asked for.

If you wish to go the extra mile....like all good Landlords should do, I'd also buy some flowers and chocolates for the Tenants for all of the grief and stress you've put them through.

I don't know how you could sleep at night.

You crack me up Dazz...lol...
You ever see the TV show House?
Even though I don't know you, I imagine you with his type of personality/sense of humor.

Dunno kathryn d,

I'm far too busy with the family, job, and managing the portfolio to be able to sit down and watch some American drivel on TV.

The wife has commented before that I remind her of him also. Who knows.

I preferred Ausprop's response more than mine....

good grief. never ends huh?

That really sums it up for me after more than a decade of listening to the pathetic bleating, when the tenants are on such a cruisy wicket.

Compensation, sheese. If you responded to their initial report of a problem in a reasonable time (say <1 week from initial report to replacement) then there is no way in the world I'd be compensating them.

Back