Investors Direct Seminar 5th April Sydney-Unreal!

Investors Direct Seminar- will there be a recession?

Did anyone else get to the seminar in Sydney Yesterday. (Sat)
Totally worth it, I could not write notes fast enough.

I will post parts of my notes. The numbers and percentages are verbatum, the rest are filled in words from my notes and memory.
Happy reading.

John Edwards – Residex – nearly 20 years experience predicting markets.

~ Doesn’t think the resources boom will slow for another 2-3 years.
~ Thinks we are at the highest part of the cycle for interest rates, don’t fix now.
` Consumer confidence is at it’s weakest for 15 years.
~ China is exporting its inflation and has been closing factories. We can expect goods from China to go up to a higher price. China is sourcing labour from Vietnam as it is cheaper.
~ Growth for GDP was 3.9% in 2007.
~ Predicted to be 4.7% in 2008.
~ Interest rates are still lower than in crisis years previously.
~ Migration is the highest it has been in 19 years.
~ Dwelling approvals are up by 5% in past 12 mths.
~ Housing finance has increased.

Long Term
There is no correlation between interest rates and house prices.

Short Term
If interest rates go up, then it’s a great time to buy.

~ Believes there is no rational in predicting the market for upper socio-economic classes because they can afford to be unpredictable and buy what they want.
~ No recession for Australia.
~ Queensland has seen its peak and is grinding to a halt with 18.22 % growth last year. 2007.
- Infrastructure problems (but then so has Sydney)

Thinks QLD has very slow growth in long run for next 5-7 years.
~ Darwin is where the growth is in next few years.
- Darwin units high rent but higher risk. Median $333k, yield 6.4%.
~ Sydney growth will be around 8%
-Sydney Units – low risk
~ Melbourne stagnant and then about 5%+ fro 2009
` Tasmania short term high growth but this is a high risk market. He believes as QLD is becoming unaffordable for retirees they are heading to Tasmania. Don’t put all your eggs in this basket.
- Kings Meadow median $232k yield at 5%.

Biggest thing to thing about when buying your next investment property in today’s market:

~ How available is money?
~ How easy is it for people to buy your property?
~ How easy is it to rent your property?

Bill Zheng- Investors Direct (This is the most interesting part for me, however i have loads more info!)
1-3 years we will peak at 10-20% then we will see a drop in prices of 20-40%.

Technology has allowed for a greater percentage of our income to go into financing our mortgages.
The technology age has matured. Because our wages have increased and technology has made life a lot easier for us as consumers, we have been able to afford to put a higher percentage of our incomes into our mortgages than our parents.
Houses are unaffordable now and they were for our parents. Ask your parents if they thought houses were affordable in their day.

Gen Y are the biggest consumers of our time. They are renters and not home owners. When the Baby Boomers retire, they will be supported by Gen Y. There are not enough Gen Y’s to take the places of the Baby Boomers. Gen Y’s will not be buying houses and therefore prices of houses will not go up as they have done in the past.

Bill believes we “may” see the biggest struggle we have had in our economy since the last recession 80 yrs ago. He believes it will be something between a normal bottom of the cycle period to a recession. How big or small it will be depends on a few factors.

Unlike America Australia is a small country of @ 20mil people. We rely mostly on rising economical markets of China and India for the prosperity of our economy. If we can hold on to the ‘tails‘ of these markets we will ride the storm out. He believes we will see a steady increase in housing prices for 2-3 years where they will peak, before the fallout from the American ‘recession’ will effect us. He also believes, like John, that the American crisis has not reached the bottom and they still have 1-2 years to go. Therefore we will see the full impact of the sub-prime crisis in 2-3 years.
If anyone can avoid a downturn, we can. We have room to drop our interest rates to fix a falling economy.
Australia going into a recession is the worst case scenario however, like any property or car, we need to ‘take out insurance’. Be prepared for the worst case to be sooner and longer.

If Recession:

Properties can fall 40% in 5-7 years.
Remember:
Money follows Money.
Money follow's Return. (Profit or/and Interest)

The more money that is invested in Australia the more the AUS dollar will rise and interest rates will go up. This is a good thing. Property should follow.
Money’s will only leave when humans can’t produce more ‘returns’ to feed them.

The Economy Now

We need interest rates to stay high and the dollar to rise.

Insurance and Money Strategy

1. Cover the next 7 years of interest shortfall.

2. Don’t rely on tax returns/ benefits.

3. Create a cash reserve now
Consolidate from more sources.
Create a facility to max your LVR against properties but try and stick to 70% LVR.
Use it as a redraw offset account against the property.
Finance to safer banks.

4. Manage Lenders Risk.
Reduce debt exposure to a single lender
Use Discretionary Hybrid Trusts to hold property.
Avoid high risk property. (Industrial, Commercial, Holiday Let, etc.)

5. Lower Gearing on Properties.
Do not lower your credit facility.
Add equity to your properties.
Allow your property to grow more in value before purchasing more.

6. Manage people risk.
Reduce or stay away from Joint Ventures with family or friends and stop lending them money – you may not get it back when you need it.

7. Manage your money with more discipline.
Cashflow will be more important than equity.
Reduce unnecessary ongoing expenses.

:D

Last edited:
Josko...I too attended the Investors Direct Seminar.

It was very interesting indeed!

I tend to agree with most of the view of John Edwards and Bill Zheng.

In particular...I would be worried about people have Commercial Property and if they are highly geared.

Like Bill and John said...people need to be prepared!

I have already started to move my finances through a number of lenders.:D

Good Advice

The impact with all us Baby Boomers retiring resulting in a huge demographic shift is the icing on the credit crunch that will accelerate the soft depression we are facing. Funny how no one likes the D word. Talk about the last big recession that was 80 years ago?

Last edited:
Hi Josko
thanks for this information, would like to know whether Perth property market was mentioned??

Cheers, MTR

Thanks guys,

Hi Josko
thanks for this information, would like to know whether Perth property market was mentioned??

Cheers, MTR

MTR, I hope Sash might be able to help with that question. I haven't anything in my notes, but from memory nothing overly negative was mentioned apart from the facts that we all know Perth has seen it's boom.

Basically they were saying, Sydney, Darwin and Tassie are the places to invest in now.

I have bought the CD of the seminar, but apparently won't receive it for about 5 weeks.

Nonrecourse:
The impact with all us Baby Boomers retiring resulting in a huge demographic shift is the icing on the credit crunch that will accelerate the soft depression we are facing. Funny how no one likes the D word. Talk about the last big recession that was 80 years ago?

Yes, there was a big focus on the baby boomers and a recession and he did hint that we are in an 80yr cycle and a recession is now due.

I have also read that at the moment it takes 5 working people to support the pension, but when the baby Boomers retire and Gen Y are left in the workforce, we will only have 2 Gen Y's supporting them.

There was a big emphasis on having more cashflow than equity during a recession - for obvious reasons. Also on diversifying your loans between lenders and also on creating equity through renovating your property.
If you have a "crap" property - bite the bullet and get rid of it.

Bill said " don't let the recession happen to you." - I don't intend to! :)

Josko...I too attended the Investors Direct Seminar.

It was very interesting indeed!

In particular...I would be worried about people have Commercial Property and if they are highly geared.

Like Bill and John said...people need to be prepared!

I have already started to move my finances through a number of lenders.:D

Sash,

Can you help MTR with Perth?

I only have one Commercial property and am highly geared at the moment. The LVR on it is only 65% and we have seen about 10% growth in the past year so I am hoping it will be ok.
We partitioned it and rent it out to two tenants, one of them being my husbands business.

This seminar has given me a big boot to get my gearing down and start capitalising on my residentials by renovating. Just settled on a property in March but no more for me for at least a year and depending on how much growth SYdney is going to give me.

I would recommend this seminar to everyone. I've never heard John Edwards speak before, and he is very interesting and has an interesting take on where the individual property markets are heading.

Bill's new material is also quite interesting. Apparently he doesn't plan on speaking at another seminar (after this series) until the end of the year...

John Edwards – Residex – nearly 20 years experience predicting markets.

~ Doesn’t think the resources boom will slow for another 2-3 years.

I found this point interesting as the RBA have stated that they expect the current high demand for resources to continue for "some decades".

Sash,

Can you help MTR with Perth?

I only have one Commercial property and am highly geared at the moment. The LVR on it is only 65% and we have seen about 10% growth in the past year so I am hoping it will be ok.
We partitioned it and rent it out to two tenants, one of them being my husbands business.

Josko, MTR

The feeling was the Perth market has leveled out and is in the, but the core was that its market was a:

The one-trick pony
– Reliant on the commodity boom to maintain
demand
– Future uncertainty causing rental increases of
16.98% in 2007
– Least affordable state in Australia
– Will be hurt by strong $A and weak global
economic conditions

They also said to ensure that you can hang out to property...in otherwards if you are overgeared then sell the "dogs" or stuff that is not likely to perform over the next 3-5 years.

Bill also said that that the banks have an interest in keeping people in negative equity homes. He pointed to Hong Kong where there financiers who were prepared to fund negative equity homes in exhange for a cut in gains later down the track.

More risk associated with commerical property...particularly in a downturn. Banks were more likely to call these loans in as they do not have the same consumer protection.

I have just lowered my LVR down to 33%. Both Bill and John suggested to have access to as much cash as possible to weather the storm.

To use a quote:

"In hard times money moves from the uninformed to the informed"

Hope this helps.

Josko, MTR

The feeling was the Perth market has leveled out and is in the, but the core was that its market was a:

The one-trick pony
– Reliant on the commodity boom to maintain
demand
– Future uncertainty causing rental increases of
16.98% in 2007
– Least affordable state in Australia
– Will be hurt by strong $A and weak global
economic conditions

They also said to ensure that you can hang out to property...in otherwards if you are overgeared then sell the "dogs" or stuff that is not likely to perform over the next 3-5 years.

Bill also said that that the banks have an interest in keeping people in negative equity homes. He pointed to Hong Kong where there financiers who were prepared to fund negative equity homes in exhange for a cut in gains later down the track.

More risk associated with commerical property...particularly in a downturn. Banks were more likely to call these loans in as they do not have the same consumer protection.

I have just lowered my LVR down to 33%. Both Bill and John suggested to have access to as much cash as possible to weather the storm.

To use a quote:

"In hard times money moves from the uninformed to the informed"

Hope this helps.

Sash,

Oh. . . .33% LVR what a dream for me. That's fantastic! :D
I'm hoping to get all my properties down to 65% in next 2 years and at 10% growth pa I don't see this as unachieveable.

Are you planning on buying over next two years?

Hi Josko

Cheers, MTR

Same as what Sash wrote but here it is in a snapshot mode.

Attachments

• WA.JPG
    WA.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 259
Sash,

Oh. . . .33% LVR what a dream for me. That's fantastic! :D
I'm hoping to get all my properties down to 65% in next 2 years and at 10% growth pa I don't see this as unachieveable.

Are you planning on buying over next two years?

Too early to tell....I want to ensure that the prices for houses has a floor before I jump in. This may take 6-12 months....but if the deals are there I have finance pre-approved....

I am also thinking of getting rid of one more....but rents are good so will keep for the time being.

65% gearing is not bad....but I think Bill recommended 50%....:D

I went the extra mile as I am pretty conservative...:)

Too early to tell....I want to ensure that the prices for houses has a floor before I jump in. This may take 6-12 months....but if the deals are there I have finance pre-approved....

I am also thinking of getting rid of one more....but rents are good so will keep for the time being.

65% gearing is not bad....but I think Bill recommended 50%....:D

I went the extra mile as I am pretty conservative...:)

I have in my notes 70%.

I loved the Crap property versus Good Property scenario. Keep it if it's not crap!

I have in my notes 70%.

I loved the Crap property versus Good Property scenario. Keep it if it's not crap!

I think the 70% was the preference for buying properties with land content.
But the minimum wsa 40%.

Agree about the crap properties...Bill mentioned to stay out of the top and bottom end of the market and buy properties of median value. John Edwards said a similar thing but said to use concentrate in the middle distance suburbs...again said to avoid luxury and bottom end....

I remember a lady in the audience saying that she reckoned that Bondi was still hot....but said that she did not think rents woukld hit $1000 pw in response to John's comments going up a lot. He jumped on this pretty quick and said that it is why he did not think that Bondi would be a good investment. He mentioned that fundamentals like rental yield was now important. But when you look it...it is the more affordable suburbs that offer this.

I seem to recall that he had Belmore and Rockdale as suburbs in middle distance with good yields.:D

Don't worry for me sash - that doesn't help....fling some cash this way but...that will help.

Don't worry for me sash - that doesn't help....fling some cash this way but...that will help.

Based on your nest egg...I think you would survive a nuclear holocaust...lol! :p

...as for cash...I am just a squirrel trying to get a nut for winter! So I will be hoarding this commodity....just in case those elusive bargains pop-up! ;)

Back