Train station - How close is too close?

Hi guys, did a search on this topic, but search feature is crappola, as I'm sure this has been raised before.

Looking at a property and there is a train station at the end of the street. From the station, there are 2 houses, a street then another house, then the prop I am looking at.

Apart from the obvious of sitting at the front of house listening to the noise levels, what is everybody's thoughts on this from a rental perspective, both on rental price and willingness of tenant to lease.

Also, what about selling? Difficult or easy to sell these sorts of props?

I'd say the ideal distance would be 300-500m away, ie 3-5 mins walk. Close enough to be short walk for access but not too close for the negatives.

Things to consider
- The surrounding streets around train stations usually have parking restrictions or lots of commuter on street parking both can be a pain in a#@e.
- The other side is a lot of theif from cars at/around train stations.
- Some rail lines run freight, which means trains all-night.
- Also watch for level crossings, the bells ringing all night would definitely be a turn off.

For me, around 400-500 m would be ideal and up to 1 km.

If it's too close, it will likely sell for less and rent for less. Having said that if the price is right.....you should also be buying for less especially in this market.

By the way is the land holding on the property something that you can subdivide later on to value add? Townhouses /Units do better at a close range to a train than perhaps a house.

Bludger, I note you're from Melbourne. Is the train station belonging to a suburb that is nominated as an activity centre under Vic 2030 initiative? If so, the closer the better as they allow denser development so potential for value adding is there (assuming you're buying a house and not a unit).

if it's juts a standard passenger line at or below street level it'd be fine - esp with private transport costs the way they are.

i would say if it's a mixed use line (freight / passenger) then steer well clear.

Is the train line down in a cut out or is it at street level? Is it a premium station as the Met define it. The link is here The bigger the station the better, because it will be manned and usually should have better security.

I have an IP which is opposite a train line (its in a cut out though), but about a 3 min walk to the station. I thought the noise issue would be greater, but after a little while (as I have been spending time there doing a reno) you don't notice it. The benefit will be its proximity to the station not the noise issue.

Looking it another way, there is the noise from the train during the times the run (in both directions obviously), but better than having noisy neighbours across from you IMO.

I think trains are cool!

All of my IP's are near trains stations or bus stops. The maximum walking distance is 500 metres.

I like to buy close as possible and build at a later stage when I can. When I build, I try and get the building designer to try positioning doors and windows aware from noise source if possible. Building materials and glazing are the solutions to noise.

A few of the bigger developers are investing in and around trains. Lots of buzz words flying around - "Transit Orientated Development."

Aaron

I think about 350 - 800 metres is ideal - and definitely not more than 1 km away. And nothing on a mixed-use line, as BC says - we stayed at a motel in Laverton years ago, and were woken up at some ungodly hour with the sound of a train coming right through the room (or so it felt). :eek:

And if your property is in Melbourne, Zone 1 is even better!!!

Cheers
LynnH

I would say it depends where it is and whether it is a major station or not.

For me - looking at a property that close to the rtrain station would de-value the property.

It's a fact that some people like, some do not. This will therefore have an effect on re-sales.

If it's just a little "in-between" station, it is not such a bad thing.

All a matter of opinion, but remember that for reselling, as I said.

Regards Jo

I lived (rented) one block from a train line a few years back, in Melbourne. It would have been around 200 - 300m away. Happily no freight trains though.

It never bothered us. Yes, you could hear the trains and you could hear the bells of the pedestrian level crossing, especially on cold clear nights, but it was never much of a big deal.

In fact, the noise of the trains was kind of enjoyable. Loud enough to be heard, not loud enough to sound like it was driving through your living room.

Ideal distance 197.5m with no direct line of sight.

I quite like the sound of the trains, better than plane or traffic noise. You can hear them several k's away geography permitting anyhow.

what is everybody's thoughts on this from a rental perspective, both on rental price and willingness of tenant to lease.

I reckon about 0m from the train station is about right.

If you can pick up the associated carpark as well, alls the better.

I reckon the tenant (State Govt) would be just trippy, and yes they'd be willing and would probably pay a decent rent. Moreover, they'll do everything and pay everything for you.

Don't dilly dally with the housing stock across the road.

Jump right in and get in amongst the thick of it.....:p

How's that for thinking outside the square ?? :)

I reckon about 0m from the train station is about right.

If you can pick up the associated carpark as well, alls the better.

I reckon the tenant (State Govt) would be just trippy, and yes they'd be willing and would probably pay a decent rent. Moreover, they'll do everything and pay everything for you.

Don't dilly dally with the housing stock across the road.

Jump right in and get in amongst the thick of it.....:p

How's that for thinking outside the square ?? :)

Pretty crap if your tenants want to move out though :( What could you use the property for... a train viewing platform?? Pay 5 bucks to watch the trains go flying past and stop at the new train station 50 mtrs down the track LOL

I have an IP in Meadowbank. The units on the train line are cheaper than the ones in the next street. Rents are cheaper too.

I think it's OK to be close but not on the street that the train line is on.

The last unit we rented was about 4 min walking to the station, but the rail station fence was about 50 m from our building. At the beginning you were aware of train and you get to know the time table by hart!! :p but after a couple of weeks you don't even notice it, till your guests remind you of it !
To be fair, it was so handy to be close to the station and we stayed there for about 8 years .

Pretty crap if your tenants want to move out though :(

Ah...generally speaking, if you are half @rsed switched on, one locks them up on a 10 year deal before you buy the place....with a bunch of painful exit clauses....hopefully this event happens actually....it's usualy a marvellous way to receive a rental fillip....but I digress. ;)

Back to the house buying question. :rolleyes:

I think about 350 - 800 metres is ideal - and definitely not more than 1 km away. And nothing on a mixed-use line, as BC says - we stayed at a motel in Laverton years ago, and were woken up at some ungodly hour with the sound of a train coming right through the room (or so it felt). :eek:

And if your property is in Melbourne, Zone 1 is even better!!!

Cheers
LynnH

Considering there is only 1 hotel I know of in Laverton I'm not suprised you got woken up in the middle of the night!
If thats the one I'm thinking of its above shops and is facing the train tracks, with only a road dividing the two.

Plus the place looks dodgy, I'm sure they are paper thin walls and it doesn't appear to be bricked from the outside.

I'm trying to think of any examples that could be worse than this for train noise... at least the trains are mainly residential with the odd freight train.

Ah...generally speaking, if you are half @rsed switched on, one locks them up on a 10 year deal before you buy the place....with a bunch of painful exit clauses....hopefully this event happens actually....it's usualy a marvellous way to receive a rental fillip....but I digress. ;)

Back to the house buying question. :rolleyes:
I presumed you were talking about the 10 story office/retail building you would whack above the stations airspace and not the complaining house renters Dazzling?

May be also look at your IP not being in the common walk way to and from the train. Young kids, late at night, they can get rather noisy and then decide on vandalism to near by housing.

Back