Gen Y PI's, Please Tell Us Your Story.

Hi all you Gen Y's. (15 to 29 or close enough!)

I for one, and I am sure most of us, would love to hear your success stories about how you have achieved your first and if any - consecutive IP's.

I've noticed a few newbies and also realised the young age of a few "oldies". (Nathan, mmg, Handy Andy, Caitlin, C-Bomb!) We would love to hear how you have done it and you will be inspiring other Gen Y's. Let's get rid of the normal rubbish about Gen Y's.

Looking forward to hearing some great stories.:):)

FYI: Gen X: (30-44)

Regards Jo:)

Last edited:
I bought my first IP when I was 18. I'm now 21.

2005 - Macquarie Park, NSW Unit
325k now 415k

2006 - 2x Morayfield, QLD Duplex (one title)
355k now 430k

2008 - Ormiston, Qld Townhouse

I try and buy when I can afford it, these days have to wait for equity buffers to rely on purchasing again.

I have battered down about 90k in LOCS for the next few years, have been tempted to purchase more but will sit on my hands and be patient :)

Nice numbers!

I am 22 (which is more Gen X isnt it? Thought Gen Y ended in about 1980-81 so 27-28 year olds.

Anyway…

I just bought my first IP, settle on it on Sept 23rd.

$185k - 2 bedroom flat in Glenroy off the main road and walking to shops and station.

Plan is to build cash up over the next year for another purchase, have just changed jobs into something which is more enjoyable and better paying so just waiting for time to roll on.

So, plan is 1 more in 12 months time and another a year after that. Both should be from cash buffers and I may be able to get a 4th at the same time as the third with equity from this (bought at $185k where market value is probably around $200-210k).

So I will keep hanging around, posting and do a quick paint job on IP#1 and start planning for the next three by the time I am 25 hopefully :)

Cheers

Ben

I'm 30. I'm Gen X/Y cusp depending on who's definition you use. Bought my first when I was 21-22 in 2000-2001.

Didn't do anything special, just have always spent less than what I earned and followed a typical Somers style buy-wait-refinance (repeat).

Just barely a Gen Y (1980)...

Bought as follows:

2005: Birkenhead, 2 bed house - 180k (now 320k)

2006: Largs Bay, 3 bed strata titled "house" - 185k (Now 290k)

2007: Semaphore Park, 3 bed house near beach - 400k (revalued 450k)

LVI currently at 80% - mostly used to purchase the semaphore park property. Have about 30k in LOC's untouched for future use and no bad personal debt (ie CC's (all at zero balance just in case!), car loans etc).

The 3 bed strata titled "house" has been my best purchase. It is the orginal house and in the 70's 4 units were built behind it. 500m to the beach. Floor area is a massive 130 square metres (for Strata Titled) and lots of potential for value adding (boards under carpet / large powder room seperate toilet laundry bathroom prime for reno). Rented for $245 pw, but admittedly im being a bit too much like mother teresa with the rent asked (but tenant is good and has been there since purchase).;)

Will value add before end financial year for more equity (in a flat market) and look to the Port Adelaide redevelopment and local Defence (Air Warfare destroyer contracts) to add to further growth.:cool:

born 1981, so gen Y i guess.

1. 2003. Woy Woy, 3 bed house in good location ...... $296K, sold this year $398K

2. 2004. Current 2 bed unit in Hornsby ......... $284K, currently worth $335K (probably sell soon)

3. 2007. 3 bed house in Hornsby with DA for 3 townhouses ........ $480K, sold last month after holding for 12 months for $585K

4. 2008. 3 bed house in Castle Hill ........ $475K will be moving from the unit to this house in September

Had to sell the properties above due to having a baby and going down to one income.

Will move into the Castle Hill house and renovate it, pushing price up to $580K - $600K and use this equity to purchase another 1 or 2 early next year closer to Sydney CBD.

Wow!:D

I always thought you guys were older. . . . . glad you proved me wrong! Especially you Stunmunro. I didn't really expect a 21 yr old to be doing so well! I honestly don't mean to sound condescending, I'm not THAT much older than you guys ..(38) well maybe just a bit....Just being honest!:)

Can you tell us how you managed to save to get your deposit? What made you guys invest? Did you know someone who has done well with property? Any plans for the sharemarket? My husband and I moved home to his parents when we were married in order to save money. Did anyone live with their Mother-In-Law like I did?:eek:

farmilor:
Had to sell the properties above due to having a baby and going down to one income.

You did really well, was there no way you could refinance and hold onto them, if not one?

Weren't you going to keep your unit? Or did you decide not to. Don't forget you can fill out a Pay Witholding Variation Form, and put more money in your pocket instead of paying tax.

Belu:
So I will keep hanging around, posting and do a quick paint job on IP#1 and start planning for the next three by the time I am 25 hopefully

More Ip's:
Will value add before end financial year for more equity (in a flat market) and look to the Port Adelaide redevelopment and local Defence (Air Warfare destroyer contracts) to add to further growth.

Love to hear it!

The other half is a gen Y (I'm not) and the only reason he now has half an IP is because I've had a property or three in the past and we used my PPoR as equity for our joint IP.

Cheating, isn't it :)

Hi all you Gen Y's. (15 to 29 or close enough!)

I for one, and I am sure most of us, would love to hear your success stories about how you have achieved your first and if any - consecutive IP's.

I've noticed a few newbies and also realised the young age of a few "oldies". (Nathan, mmg, Handy Andy, Caitlin, C-Bomb!) We would love to hear how you have done it and you will be inspiring other Gen Y's. Let's get rid of the normal rubbish about Gen Y's.

Looking forward to hearing some great stories.:):)

FYI: Gen X: (30-44)

Just turned 23

All properties western sydney

Duplex x 2 fully renovated val $350k rental value $450-500pw loan 197k

Townhouse 3 storey Paid 140k (sold 2 yrs prior for 300k) rents 250pw Loan 160k

House @ cranebrook paid 245k val 260k rent 270pw loan 230k

House @ cranebrook paid 232k val 300k rent 270pw loan 222k

Unit @ mt druitt paid 158k val 180k rent 240pw loan 160k

Unit @ mt druitt paid 171k (sold for 260k 3 yrs ago @ brand new) val 190k rent 260pw loan 164k

will have 2 more Ip's by end of the year. and lots more room for rental increases.

im a gen Y, 25 currently
just purchased my first place, was har to say money with you enjoy playing with cars :(
figured get a few houses and then i can play with better cars hehehehehehehehe

some nice numbers from other gen Y's good wrk ppl

i buy Ip's because i like it, there hobby, i eat sh!t n sleep property, share market and the world economy...

i want to be financially free by age 30, and feel property is fundamentally strong in the long term... when i finish here in sydney buying... and my position is set i will most likely live in qld for sometime and do similar up there...

i am working on a share at present that may be life changing but will need time to prosper... all my $$ i have made has been from working and using equity... (one year i worked 2 full time jobs so i could make stuff happen, with this addiction/investment vehicle you must be dedicated and disiplined for it to work) i have not made any money thru shares or been given anything on a plate. i have been investing since age 18 and no1 has helped me in any way shape or form, oh except for my mother who has given me shelter so no need for PPOR, thanks mum. (even though she is approaching 70 and does not know how to use a computer to read this) :)

Can you tell us how you managed to save to get your deposit? What made you guys invest? Did you know someone who has done well with property? Any plans for the sharemarket? My husband and I moved home to his parents when we were married in order to save money. Did anyone live with their Mother-In-Law like I did?:eek:

I played a high level of sport going through high school, missed a quarter of year 10 at an Australian camp up at QLD which naturally left school last on my list of priorities. It was not suprising that a year later I found myself dropping out a few months into year 11, on the condition that I could only leave having organised a full time job (thanks mum & dad)
Part of the deal also was that I either paid my parents $100 bucks a week in rent, or setup a direct debit each week of $100 into a savings account. Being the selfish genY that I am the latter was a much better option and at the age of 16 I was inadvertently (although I think my parents planned it) saving for a deposit on my first IP. As the ball gathered momentum, and I could start to see the merit in the savings I started to put more away each week. My mum told me that if I were to make withdrawals from this special account the bank wouldn't give me a loan, so I didn't! :rolleyes: (thanks again mum) 2 and a half years later, at the tender age of 18, I was ready to purchase my first IP. My mates had just finished school and thought I was a nutcase, do you know what sort of car I could buy for 35k ? *grin*

In summary some things really helped me

good parents;
- guidance about money & investing and subliminal messages of them playing kiyosaki tapes at a young age
- compulsary savings, not giving me a choice of whether I sacrifice money or not, rather whether I sacrificed it to myself or to them

sacrifices;
- Putting away 70% of your wages at such an early age was even harder than it sounds (especially working 5 days a week in a physical job)
- Not ever being able to buy my own car. Even though I could afford one today, I am blessed with a work vehicle which is a godsend.

desire;
- i think not ever making it in a sport I dedicated so much time to left me with a new outlook on life. I had been training every single day for 3-4 years straight and this discipline and determination didn't go away, I think it's just changed focus.

All in all, im proud of my achievements. Proud of the fact I've never needed to borrow money (except the shitloads from the bank :p), I've been financially independent since I left school. I have lots of friends that always tell me they are going to invest, but it never happens. For me I'm glad my parents gave me the guidance but gladder that I had the determination.

I'm 26, bought my first property in 2004, in Kensington, Vic.. intention was to live in it for a few years add some value, then rent it out, bought for 220k, now renting for $280pw

I am currently living in London but looking to do the same thing in the next few months when I return to melbourne; Buy a property to live in, add some value then rent it out a few years later, whilst buying another 1-2 IP's during that period.

Intention is to have at least 4 IPs in the next 4 years, as well as running a reasonably passive business.

I'll kick in my story ..

I'm 29 (just), was whingeing to a mate at work last year about how much I wanted to buy a property, but it seemed "a million years away", etc etc. Came away from a chat with him thinking about it more and more .. borrowed Jan's book from my mate .. found the forums .. spent every waking minute devouring info...

I had spent 1999 through 2003 being brainwashed by my parents about how great property investing is. I could never afford to get started (was studying), and due to a bunch of reasons they never moved forward on it either. So I knew "the basics" but had never actually done any of it.

Ended up buying PPOR in Sept last year, just watching the bank balance stack up before we buy IP #1.

It turns out "a million years" is actually 3 months. ;)

What's so special/clever about being in your 20s and having a few IP's that are negatively geared overall...??

What's so special/clever about being in your 20s and having a few IP's that are negatively geared overall...??

The ABS might be able to answer that one?

I'm guessing you think the real answer lies in the second half of your question? In which case, why don't you tell us what would actually be special/clever?

Back