Tightening credit market and HDTs or PITs

with a tightening credit market how are those that invest with HDTs or PITs finding it to get funds with new purchases or even refinancing?

I am in the process of applying for a new loan to build an IP purchased under the MGS Hybrid trust.

Mortgage broker said it shouldn't be a problem. He did get me a loan from ING bank for another IP I purchased last year also under the same Hybrid Trust.

He also mentioned the new RAMS (Under Westpac) also loans to properties under Hybrid trusts

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hiya

I dont believe the structure is the issue, the fact that some lenders have gone by the wayside that used to like them is probably more of a symptom of the general lack of money.

comments below refer to low-docs in a tightening market

Currently we're hearing that the lenders want the trustee to be on the Loan (not a desired scenario in a HDT as I understand it).

On Loan Agreements have also been discussed (unsure of the validity of these at this stage).

Be interested to hear others opinions on the above:confused:

Agreed Redwing, several lenders (including RAMS) require the lender to be the borrower which removes the effectiveness of the HDT.

Many lenders wont consider trusts with lo doc loans either.

Agreed Redwing, several lenders (including RAMS) require the lender to be the borrower which removes the effectiveness of the HDT.

Many lenders wont consider trusts with lo doc loans either.

That's right Pete, if the Trustee Company is on the loan as well as the individuals then the interest should be divided as well which defeats the purpose of the negative gearing.

On-Loan agreements would be between related parties and are not advisable if you want full tax deductibility of the interest. The ATO would look at the legal owner of the loan with the Bank and allow the deductibility only to that entity.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your input

Still a bit lost on some aspects here as we look at scenarios..

That's right Pete, if the Trustee Company is on the loan as well as the individuals then the interest should be divided as well which defeats the purpose of the negative gearing.

In what proportion would this be though Pat ?

In a refinancing scenario the Trustee already has the title to the property, units are issued and ownership is established; would this not be similar to refinancing a property held in the wifes name (loan and title) to now include a husband on the loan and what is the deductibility there?

And would it be worth doing the sums of pro vs con in individual circumstances (example only - you get a $4,000 tax rebate from the - gearing but are in a situation where you are paying $20,000 extra due to higher interest rates on some products)?

In the current environment where credit is tight in the low-doc market, you have available equity sitting in the properties (which if refinaced would add to your buffer) and if you had no other avenues on offer other than the aforementioned from the banks..then throw into the mix several lenders trying to decrease their exposure to the market by hiking up interest rates to force customers off their books

On-Loan agreements would be between related parties and are not advisable if you want full tax deductibility of the interest. The ATO would look at the legal owner of the loan with the Bank and allow the deductibility only to that entity.

Best not to be a test case then?

I realise some people in the above situation have gone forward with this scenario though and the product is promoted by some accountants

Hi Redwing,

Between husband and wife you can choose who receives the deduction for the interest but when you have a trust party to the loan as well then it would need to be apportioned.

In a refinance situation if the hybrid trust was on the loan with mum and dad then one third of the units would be required to be redeemed at their market value creating a Capital Gains Tax problem for mum and dad.

This calculation would need to be assessed against the benefits of the lower interest rate for refinancing out of the financiers who are hiking rates.

Also we would not advise to prepare an on loan agreement, other accountants can do that if they like but they'd be taking a big tax risk as the paperwork would be a contrived related party transaction.

Hi Pat,

In the scenario where the trustee has to be on the loan, would the trust be able to borrow money against its equity in the IP and repay some of the original loan to you and what is the scenario there if possible?

You've originally borrowed money from the bank and bought units in the trust (the trust owes you) then you replace that loan to the trust with one from the bank (interest should still be deductible?)

Pat said:
In a refinance situation if the hybrid trust was on the loan with mum and dad then one third of the units would be required to be redeemed at their market value creating a Capital Gains Tax problem for mum and dad.
If the Properties are held at various stages of time such as 2 years, 1 year etc and the CGT could be streamed to beneficiaries as well as the fact that Mum and Dad essentially are in the low income/tax bracket ala' Rixters posts what is the scenario there

Or is this out of context and I'm grasping at straws :confused:

I should've payed more attention in accounting :(

This current market situation must be playing havoc for those Investing in HDT's and into low-doc (or even no-doc) territory, or is it just me?

What is the solution......Just got a rate hike from RHG today, they are going up to 10.53%, or is there no solution with the HDT's; just grin and bear it at this stage of the game?

We have Buffers, but running on empty is not the time to be looking for a fuel station

Appreciate the comments from the brokers as they must be encountering this a bit in this market, however, Feel free to PM me, no one else seems to be playing ;o)

...no one else seems to be playing ;o)

I'm very interested in this thread as I'm a PIT-no-doccer :)

Only reason I can't comment yet about tightening credit is because I'm not ready to purchase again at the moment; haven't applied for finance since Feb.

My rates are now above 10.5 also.

Ian hate to say if you come to refinance or purchase again think you will be looking at a rate > than 10.5% for a PIT Nodoc.

Might want to think about whether you can go lodoc next time.

Hiya

If you can live with 70 % lvr no doc, thensub 10s are still available for trusts where the borrower mirrors title.

This works for PITs ( because the PIT creators seem ok with back end loan agreeements) but wont work for HDTs

ta
rolf

Rolf is correct at 70% LVR but at 80% you are looking at a little higher rate.

JIT many lenders wont touch them full doc / lodoc or anydoc but there are still a number of lenders who have no problems.

As a follow up Pat, how would the ATO view a HTD with several properties in it with different lenders.

Lender A has the individual as the borrower.
Lender B has the trustee / trust as the borrower.

I certainly don't expect there would be a problem with the property held by Lender A, but what could happen with Lender B's property in this case?

I have seen cases where a clash of lenders and circumstances have led to this situation.

Hiya JIT

Not an exhaustive list, and not covering exceptions

CBA - no usually, they dont like the unit component

NAB yes

ANZ yes

Westpac ( only through biz banking , so no > than 80 %, no LOCs or offsets)

STG yes

AMP yes

Suncorp Yes

Adelaide Bank ( only through some mortgage managers)

Bankwest used to, but now they are not so sure

Citibank yes ( though we have yet to try them)\

Heritage yes

ING yes

ta
rolf

Hi Pat,

In the scenario where the trustee has to be on the loan, would the trust be able to borrow money against its equity in the IP and repay some of the original loan to you and what is the scenario there if possible?

You've originally borrowed money from the bank and bought units in the trust (the trust owes you) then you replace that loan to the trust with one from the bank (interest should still be deductible?)

If the Properties are held at various stages of time such as 2 years, 1 year etc and the CGT could be streamed to beneficiaries as well as the fact that Mum and Dad essentially are in the low income/tax bracket ala' Rixters posts what is the scenario there

Or is this out of context and I'm grasping at straws :confused:

I should've payed more attention in accounting :(

This current market situation must be playing havoc for those Investing in HDT's and into low-doc (or even no-doc) territory, or is it just me?

What is the solution......Just got a rate hike from RHG today, they are going up to 10.53%, or is there no solution with the HDT's; just grin and bear it at this stage of the game?

We have Buffers, but running on empty is not the time to be looking for a fuel station

Appreciate the comments from the brokers as they must be encountering this a bit in this market, however, Feel free to PM me, no one else seems to be playing ;o)

In this scenario it is a pure refinance and there is a Capital Gain assessed to the unitholder based on the Market Value of the property or properties at this time.

The Capital Gain cannot be streamed if there were units on issue, the Capital Gain must go to the Unitholders.

Back