Sydney has 5 million people and 739 vacancies

SYDNEY'S rental squeeze has hit a new low with desperate tenants vying for only 739 available rental properties on the market across the whole of the city yesterday.

Premier Nathan Rees has agreed to meet with the Real Estate Institute for crisis talks as figures to be released today reveal vacancy rates have remained below 2 per cent for more than two years.

The situation is so bad that stressed-out renters have turned on real estate agents with one in three agents reporting either themselves or their staff have been abused and even attacked.

Some agents said they had called police to remove irate would-be tenants from their offices and were being abused on a daily basis. Others said tenants had been in tears because they felt they could not compete with the number of people looking for properties.

Police have also had to sort out traffic congestion as up to 30 or 40 applicants turn up for open house inspections.

"It is the worst we have ever seen," said REI president Steve Martin. "The situation is now so grave we are unfortunately experiencing incidents of rental rage."

Sydney's overall vacancy rate is 1.2 per cent, no change from last month, according to the institute.

Worst hit have been the suburbs between 10 and 25km from the city centre where there was a 0.1 per cent drop in rental vacancies to 1.2 per cent over the past month.

Mr Martin said the demand for rental properties had outgrown supply by about three to one with Sydney's population growing at more than 1400 a week, almost double the number of rental properties available on the latest figures.

Mortgage defaults have also forced more families into the rental market.

Punitive taxes including stamp duty and land tax, coupled with a lack of land being released for new development, have been blamed for the stagnating market.

The institute has proposed that the State Government scrap the contentious land tax and offer investors a full rebate of their stamp duty over seven years with a partial rebate if they sell before that.

A spokesman for Mr Rees said that they had already been in touch with the institute to arrange a meeting and to listen to their suggestions.

St Vincent de Paul Society's Dr Andy Marks said the rental crisis was the hidden face of the housing affordability debate. "Politicians focus on mortgage holders but we need to help people who can't even get into the rental market, never mind the housing market," Dr Marks said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,24394448-5013951,00.html

wow - that's a pretty dire situation.

anyone else in other states experiencing the same thing? would be interesting to see if it's just a Sydney thing, or a country wide thing.

What a crock.....
A quick search of Domain will tell you this is garbage.

SYDNEY'S rental squeeze has hit a new low with desperate tenants vying for only 739 available rental properties on the market across the whole of the city yesterday.

Premier Nathan Rees has agreed to meet with the Real Estate Institute for crisis talks as figures to be released today reveal vacancy rates have remained below 2 per cent for more than two years.

The situation is so bad that stressed-out renters have turned on real estate agents with one in three agents reporting either themselves or their staff have been abused and even attacked.

Some agents said they had called police to remove irate would-be tenants from their offices and were being abused on a daily basis. Others said tenants had been in tears because they felt they could not compete with the number of people looking for properties.

Police have also had to sort out traffic congestion as up to 30 or 40 applicants turn up for open house inspections.

"It is the worst we have ever seen," said REI president Steve Martin. "The situation is now so grave we are unfortunately experiencing incidents of rental rage."

Sydney's overall vacancy rate is 1.2 per cent, no change from last month, according to the institute.

Worst hit have been the suburbs between 10 and 25km from the city centre where there was a 0.1 per cent drop in rental vacancies to 1.2 per cent over the past month.

Mr Martin said the demand for rental properties had outgrown supply by about three to one with Sydney's population growing at more than 1400 a week, almost double the number of rental properties available on the latest figures.

Mortgage defaults have also forced more families into the rental market.

Punitive taxes including stamp duty and land tax, coupled with a lack of land being released for new development, have been blamed for the stagnating market.

The institute has proposed that the State Government scrap the contentious land tax and offer investors a full rebate of their stamp duty over seven years with a partial rebate if they sell before that.

A spokesman for Mr Rees said that they had already been in touch with the institute to arrange a meeting and to listen to their suggestions.

St Vincent de Paul Society's Dr Andy Marks said the rental crisis was the hidden face of the housing affordability debate. "Politicians focus on mortgage holders but we need to help people who can't even get into the rental market, never mind the housing market," Dr Marks said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,24394448-5013951,00.html

that is absolutly un believable! i dont belive it actually! how do they count them. say 2million people live in syd and to have 739 avail na! thats bull#@&! you guys would be tripping over them at night. not true?

a quick domain.com.au search of all sydney suburbs, excluding blue mountains, revealed 9,067 properties advertised for rent.

granted some of these may now be "off market", and that some my be in expensive "unaffordable" areas - but that's a long way from 739.

i wonder how they got to their figures ... and what the truth really is.

assuming there are 5mil people in sydney, at average 2.5people per household, then there are 2mil households in sydney. assuming 30% of these households are rented (national average of renting) then that is 600,000 ip's.

9,100 advertised properties for rent divided by 600,000 ips is 1.51% ... so that's where they get their 1.5% vacancy rate - which is still very low - but 739 vacancies would give us a 0.12% vacancy rate.

wow - that's a pretty dire situation.

anyone else in other states experiencing the same thing? would be interesting to see if it's just a Sydney thing, or a country wide thing.

Sydney is tight from what I see but I think these numbers are quesitonable. However overall, rents can only continue to go up.

I know a property costing $245k to buy asking $350 week to rent. In 2003 it was the other way around and in 2001 it was parity. i.e. $300k equals $300 a week.

Peter

Yep, does not compute...

Quick rubbery math suggests 5,000,000 people require roughly 2,000,000 homes with household formation at 2.5 per dwelling. Of those 2,000,000 homes, if 2% were vacant then there would be 40,000 odd vacancies.

Anything less than 1,000 is just a rubbish number.

Cheers,
Michael

Wouldn't most of the 5 million people in Sydney already own or rent their house anyway? What is the figure of people looking for accommodation - much less than 5 mil I would think.

i wonder just what Mr "Im planning to formulate a plan to set out a plan of action to solve the problems of NSW" Rees will do about it though.
It would be FANTASTIC if he did something about land tax, and even better if there was some sort of stamp duty alleviation for investors.

... however i am doubtful it will eventuate - Mr Rees is only going to be looking at $$$ signs, and will see any reduce in tax as a reduction in state revenue, and thus "his hands are tied" and he wont do a thing about it.

I also agree that the article's numbers are BS.
If there are just 794 vacant properties, with a 1.2% vacancy rate.... that would mean that there are only 66,000 rental properties in sydney. Thats just BS.
I think they missed a zero.

Bet my bottom dollar they are talking about Sydney City. This skewing of stats really gets me irritated.

I'm sure the the journo would put his hand on his heart and say "but every word i wrote is true".. yes... but what is also true that everyone reading this would "assume" it meant pretty much all of "metro" Sydney not just the CBD.

petty and ultra sensationalist if you ask me and gives amo to GHPC and the rest of the mentally challenged to argue we are all full of crap given such reporting obviously fuels property prices by getting investors involved and hence one would assume we would welcome it... but i hate it because the same sensationalist comments are thrown against property so i hate all such comments.... pretty annoying and yet more noise to confuse people.

only 739 available rental properties on the market across the whole of the city yesterday.

maybe on ONE INDIVIDUAL DAY there were "only" 739 properties....

i got sucked in - i'm so ashamed.

Thats ok Blue Card.

In fact would like to buy a bridge, comes with toll income, etc...;)

One thing for sure.... Sydney is only going to get a lot worse and it willtake 2 years for any significant change form when they start building and they have not starting building yet.

Peter

Lizzie,

9000 properties being vacant sounds more realistic...and vacancy rate of 1.5% is also realistic! In the area where I live....lower North Shore of Sydney...the rents have stabilised as 2 brm apartments rent for about $450pw and this about what people can afford here.

However, rents in the places like Bankstown, Auburn, Ryde, Parrmatta, and the Outer West are still going up as people are pushed further out as rents in these areas are between $200-350pw. Even a 2 br unit in St Marys (40klms from Sydeny CBD) get about $200 pw.

I also read the article....pretty funny actually....but agree with most on this forum that it is a bit OTP. Gee Sydney RE agents may need those bank security screens shortly...lol...lol. ;)

Cheers
Sash

a quick domain.com.au search of all sydney suburbs, excluding blue mountains, revealed 9,067 properties advertised for rent.

granted some of these may now be "off market", and that some my be in expensive "unaffordable" areas - but that's a long way from 739.

i wonder how they got to their figures ... and what the truth really is.

assuming there are 5mil people in sydney, at average 2.5people per household, then there are 2mil households in sydney. assuming 30% of these households are rented (national average of renting) then that is 600,000 ip's.

9,100 advertised properties for rent divided by 600,000 ips is 1.51% ... so that's where they get their 1.5% vacancy rate - which is still very low - but 739 vacancies would give us a 0.12% vacancy rate.

If you do a search on Domain for Rent and type in "Sydney" and then click on 'Surrounding suburbs' to refine your Search, you come up with 812 vacancies in the area:

Sydney City in Sydney (and surrounding suburbs: Circular Quay, Cockle Bay, Darlinghurst, East Sydney, Haymarket, Millers Point, Pyrmont, Surry Hills, The Rocks, Ultimo, Walsh Bay, Woolloomooloo)

So they've based their research using the vacancy total of Sydney City (and a couple of km radius of CBD) - but included the entire population. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep, does not compute...

Quick rubbery math suggests 5,000,000 people require roughly 2,000,000 homes with household formation at 2.5 per dwelling. Of those 2,000,000 homes, if 2% were vacant then there would be 40,000 odd vacancies.

Anything less than 1,000 is just a rubbish number.

Cheers,
Michael

hi michael - you forgot to add the level - of the 2,000,000 homes X are rentals. assuming 30% rentals = 600,000 homes @ 2% vacancy = 12,000 vacant

Back