Bathroom reno advice...

I am about to head to Perth to do a bathroom renovation in my IP. It is a basic 2 bed unit that I have done work on before, but am now planning on putting in a new bathroom.

I plan to keep the floor lay out and have been told by a builder that I can tile straight over the top of all the floor and wall tiles...does anyone have any experience with this? or good advice, cautions etc ???

thanks
Propertygirl

Yep have done it on numerous occassions- no probs- we usually sparrow pick over the existing tiles- first i.E.-- get a sharp pointy thingie- e.g old screw driver and lightly tap little chips in each tile-- this gives the adhesive more cling power- modern adhesives are wonderful-- The only resrvation is u might have to remove cornice if UR tiling up to ceiling Also the thicker tile depth means tap connections might be a bit short but your plumber can fit a sort of extender to the wall connection i dunno what it is called but i know what is needed and get good results- all the best

bathroom reno advice

thanks for the advice!
lets hope it all works well...I am not tiling up to the roof, so it shouldn't be a problem!

I 'll post photos when I am done...

propertygirl

I love this idea I am now thinking of doing it to our new IP, as it needs a new bathroom.

What I would like to ask though is that what happens with the floor being a little bit higher ?

Sorry propertygirl for asking a question on your thread.

yes i have seen this done b4 you could run a grinder over the old tiles , to clean them up, and your sure to get a bathroom that looks like you have tiled over the old ones, and in 20 years time you could put a step at the entrance , very lazy???

You'll get a much better result tiling from scratch. Its not a whole lot of extra work to take out existing tiles.

Plus you dont know how good your waterproofing is if you dont remove existing tiles. Maybe there is no waterproofing as was the case when i renoed my bathroom a few years ago.

So, removing the tiles gives you the opportunity to install new waterproofing to ensure your job is up to standard.

Hi Property Girl,

I just did the same thing. My IP bathroom was a shocker, and I had very little cash to renovate, so basically I bought a tungsten knife from bunnings, scored all the tiles, then attached new Aquacheck gyprock, waterproofed the lot, tiled and had the plumber extend the taps.

All in all the entire job, including tiles, paint, aquacheck, new bathtaps and White Knight tub n tile to resurface the hip bath, set me back about $1000, and took about a week to do.

I kept the same hip bath (just resurfaced it) the loo was fine and the vanity was new, so all good.

Looks a treat. Go for it.

Luvvit

waterproofing can become an issue when going over the top.

Also if the building is strata titled you may need to check with the managers as some strata have by-laws regarding bathroom renos stating all floor tiles must be removed and proper waterproofind done and a certificate provided to prove it.

Although have seen it done plenty of times and it seems to work well.

Back