How to choose a Real Estate Agent

When you think about the really big financial decisions you make in your life, choosing who you will use to sell your house must rank right up near the top for $$ implications.

For an average house of say $500k, a +/- 10% range on realised price amounts to a $100k difference between a great marketing/sales job and a bad one. Agents quite rightly try to highlight this when they are being "nickel and dimed" on sales commission %. Yes - negotiating down your agents sales commision can have some undesireable consequences. As has been highlighted previously, do you really want your property to have the lowest paycheck attached to it of all the properties on your agents books?

What I think most agents don't realise is that they are not really giving vendors much choice but to fixate on sales % commission. Lets be honest, what other hard data have vendors got to work with when choosing an agent other than the 100% certain $ flowing into the agents pockets if/when the sale happens.

For all the sales pitch offerred by agents about how great their customer service is, or how knowledgable they are about the area, or how many buyers they have, or how great their brouchures look, (or how expensive are their agents suits/cars!) - none of this is anywhere near as convincing nor as certain to impact the pocket as the hard facts of the $ commission - so that's where the discussion will inevitably focus, and unfortunately, in the absence of convincing data to the contrary, commission % will continue to be a major driver of which agent the vendor chooses.

So how should vendors choose their agents? I have a fanciful theory that it really should just boil down to two considerations.

The first consideration is "How much the agent say he/she can sell my property for". :eek:

EH-OW ! I hear many of you say. Surely you are not advocating awarding the job to the agent who tells me the highest price? Well, no. Not in isolation of the second consideration.

What is the second consideration?

Second consideration: "Should I believe him/her?"

All of the gumph about how good an agents marketing is, experience, sales history, etc etc is just a means to an end and the end is helping the vendor form the view "do I really believe this guy can sell my property for the price he just told me."

Now we move to fantasy land... I wish each agent pitching their service to me came complete with a "bullsh*t ratio", something to tell me whether they deliver on their promises. Or perhaps to be a little more constructive lets call it a "Delivery Ratio"

Delivery Ratio could be defined as "Average price sold / Average price told". So if an agent sold a previous property for $550k but at the time of appraisal/listing for the property he quoted $500k then his Delivery Ratio is 110%.

And the agent who overquotes to buy the listing? ... ends up with a Delivery Ratio significantly less than 100%.:mad:

The vendor's job is then very straightforward: calculate for each Agent "Quoted price" x "Delivery Ratio" and sign up the agent with the highest result.

Simple!

Job Done!

time to leave fantasy land......:D

Agents !

Hi Everyone, this is my first post on this site !

It was interesting to read this post about agents. I have been a property investor for a number of years and last year did a property investing/development course in Perth WA (where I live).

During the course, we learnt how to deal with agents, write our own offers, negotiate etc, etc. Also, we were taught how bad agents are. They were called 'creatures' by our teacher.

From this, I found a love for property, people and negotiating.. I then decided to obtain my real estate registration so I could legally assist friends, family and others buy and sell property. I say legally as I was already helping people - as a friend, in the background !

Now I have my real estate 'ticket'. I call my self a Property Consultant as it sounds much better than a 'rep' or 'sales agent'.

I have a few questions for you investors out there:

What do you expect from an agent ?

What services do you want from an agent ?

What makes an EXCEPTIONAL agent ???

I am honest and my wanting to help people comes from my heart. I get an absolute buzz from helping people in any situation in life.

I hear so many negative comments about agents and I want to know how to restore faith in what agents do. Of course there are nasty ones out there.. I've met a few of them already..however there are some great ones too. I was taught in the course I did to treat a brilliant agent like gold. Very true. An agent can be great leverage for investors.

Your comments are appreciated and welcomed .. bring them on !

Thanks and best wishes.

Chantal Ricupero
[email protected]
Mob: 0411 664 184

'The size of your success is determine by the size of your belief'

I have a few questions for you investors out there:

What do you expect from an agent ?

What services do you want from an agent ?

What makes an EXCEPTIONAL agent ???

I hear so many negative comments about agents and I want to know how to restore faith in what agents do. Of course there are nasty ones out there..

1. Intergrity, honesty, professionalism, communication, performance.

2. Sell my house for the price they quoted they could get for it, communication.

3. All of the above.

To restore faith in agents, their own industry needs to take a very swift and very strong stance against the cowboys, the practices of dummy bidding, under-over quoting and so on.

Their industry never does anything - occasionally a slight slap on the wrist.

Total joke.

If you have time, watch the real estate ads in the area and visit open homes by the agents.
In the area I'm currently searching, there is one agency which consistently advertises properties at way above their market value... they then sit on the market for months, gradually coming down until they hit market value, by which time they are stale and no-one is interested. To be honest, in the 9mths I've been looking, I havent seen a single house that they have had on their lists selling.
ANother agent does a preliminary open home to gauge the market and see if the price they have it on at is realistic/ attractive... their houses are much more appropriately priced (not under priced) and they sell quick.
Going to open homes also gives you a feel of what the agents are like and which ones you prefer on a personal level
Pen

Hi there
I can tell you I have come across an agent who I consider "exceptional" - every time I hear about something else they have done either for their sellers or the buyers - just makes me wish there were more like them.
Firstly, there is no misleading advertising, just straightforward presentation of a property. If there is anything wrong with the presentation - they actually help the vendor improve it. Have known them to go in and clean a property before an open home to give the Vendor the best chance of impressing potential buyers.
Secondly, when it gets to settlement - if there is anything that is likely to delay the process - which is in their control to do something about - they step in and help. For example, a friend was selling her property and had a garden tub that the buyers objected to and had been advised by another agent would likely be removed. They were refusing to settle until the tub was removed. My friend who was the seller - very stressed by the whole process - wasn't even advised - the agent just went over and spent an afternoon removing it themselves.
Was also talking about a meeting to this agent and suggesting they may like to come along - sorry - possibly wouldn't get there because they were helping some people move today as the settlement was today - and the vendors had some trouble getting everything moved in time.
If I ever needed to sell a property, would definately give them a call.
thanks

Back