Education Resources For Business Owners

It’s not always easy to find resources that can help you in any meaningful way in running a business, especially if you are after more detailed industry specific information as well as the nitty gritty that all add up to the bigger picture (eg. Walking patterns are 45 degrees and peripheral vision is 60 degrees, so avoid forcing customers to turn corners at 90-degree angles - I only came across that tip for the first time last week). I’ve created a list of resources that I have found useful over the years, great for those already in businesses, and for those thinking about getting into business for themselves.

Please feel free to add to the list as I’m sure there are plenty out there I’m yet to get to. Some of these will have been mentioned in other threads, but I still wanted to start a thread specifically to help with business.

BUSINESS SYSTEMS

McDonalds: Behind the Arches” – by John F. Love
It’s Not About the Coffee” – by Howard Behar
The Starbucks Experience” – by Joseph A. Michelli
“Small Business, Big Opportunity” – by Rob Hartnett in partnership with Sensis

RETAILING

www.dmsretail.com – series of books/manuals, specific to retailing, customer service and general business operations.
www.insideretailing.com.au & Inside Retailing Magazine – free articles online on industry info, merchandising advice, customer satisfaction etc.
www.inspire.bc.ca – website and blog with visual merchandising tips and advice. (still exists, although she seems to have stopped the free newsletters)
www.retailsmart.com.au - retail blog with tips and ideas

MINDSET

"Think & Grow Rich" – by Napolean Hill
"The E-Myth Revisited" – by Michael Gerber (great for those who haven’t started the business yet)
E-Myth Mastery” – by Michael Gerber (more practical application than the original)
Trump: The Art of the Deal" – by Donald Trump (as well as his other titles, I won’t list them all)
Why We Want You to be Rich” – by Donald Trump & Robert Kiyosaki
How to Win Friends & Influence People” – by Dale Carnegie
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind” – by T. Harv Ecker
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” – by Stephen R. Covey
The Magic of Thinking Big” – by David J. Schwartz
The Millionaire Next Door” – by Thomas J. Stanley

INSPIRATION

McDonalds: Behind the Arches” – by John F. Love (repeated from above, but well worth it)
Virtual Murdoch” – by Neil Chenoweth
Murdoch” – by William Shawcross
Fantastic; The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger” – by Laurence Leamer
Losing My Virginity” – by Richard Branson

INDUSTRY SPECIFIC

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, one of the most useful places I’ve found to get industry specific information and ideas from is by observing competitors innovations and experiences. Apart from looking at competitors stores and websites (better for local info. happening right now), one of the greatest ways is to find a business in your field that is listed on a stock exchange somewhere in the world. If you can find a company in your industry listed in the US, Europe or elsewhere (hard to find a lot of specific industries listed in Aust.) – you can sift through their annual reports, analyst presentations, imagery and press releases. Here they’ll detail their successes and failures, future strategies, as well as how they see the industry evolving.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! I've read or been through most of those :D

Are you on our distribution list? I think you are!!

We are bringing some great business seminars to Adelaide in January/February. I think you will be very interested in finding out more about it!

Let me know if your're not!

Finding a good business coach can make a lot of difference. Reading all the books isn't going to do you much good if you can never find the time to act on it because you're too busy working in your business, trying to get the next problem solved.

Having an independant person looking in, pushing you in the right direction, kicking you up the backside to get business processes in place is worth a lot.

Amazingly enough I haven't gotten around to reading it yet! Got about half way through the iPhone version, but think I'll wait and get a proper hard copy - liked what I'd read so far.

Another thread reminded me of this old one. Few more titles to add to the list and more in my 'to read' pile when I finally get around to them :eek::

BUSINESS SYSTEMS

'Secret Recipe' - KFC's beginnings.
'Grinding It Out' - written by Ray Kroc, very interesting read.
'KFC In China: Recipe for Success' Good illustration (though somewhat shallow in parts) of the phenomenal success behind KFC and why it's vastly exceeded McD's in China.

Oh and Ian, started reading Richest Man in Babylon, but just couldn't get through it. I think I stopped at about the 3rd chapter. Will give it another crack one day. :D

I'm having HUGE trouble finding resources for my current crazy idea. I'm really giving up on Australian resources, seems to be much more relevant stuff available overseas.

All the similar businesses (there aren't really any competitors to speak of for some reason other than Google) are also overseas.

Why is everything in Australia so EXPENSIVE :(

Back