offer accepted!

Not what you might think;

it's another business. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love running businesses.

Yes, I know I should be looking to buy more property, given the climate we are now in/entering, but I want the cashflow NOW. The property can wait, and this business will fund it mostly.

We've had an offer accepted to buy a local car service, tyre and brake business. I was trawling the businesses for sale section of r/e.com and saw it there; the place we take our cars to get serviced! I know the owner very well. I had the car booked in for a service already, so when I dropped it off a few days later I asked the question, and here we are.

It's been about two and a half months to get to this stage, and a fair bit of D.D and meetings with the owner. The accountant has given it his blessing, so we're off.

One owner for over 25 years who is retiring, great location, unique in the area and VERY profitable. Long-term staff and very solid figures. Customers are all cash on delivery - in other words; no accounts - only cash or credit cards. Perfect. No "tyre-kicking" customers (pardon the pun) who waste your time with rain-checks and haggling over a few dollars and want to crunch you on prices for every single thing (like golfers). I'm done with that "nickle and dime" cr@p.

Asking was $380k plus stock and equipment at valuation - another $80k approx. This works out to around 2 times the nett profit after tax as the asking price. Reasonable. We paid the asking price, but negotiated a rent reduction for the first 6 months and a few other bits of equipment thrown in - a ute as well.

5 x 5 x 5 rent lease, CPI adjustments, and first option to buy the premises. Also includes a vacant lot next door to park the cars; the existing owner of the business will be the Landlord!

All up we will pay about $460k plus costs.

Nett profit before tax is an unbelievable $300k approx average for the last 3 years, based on official tax returns.

It is actually increasing in turnover each year, and we are long-term customers for our cars' servicing, so we know first hand how busy it is. Can't get the cars in to get any work done for 2 weeks as a rule.

There's enough "padding" in it to cover the rent, the "cost of money" and a manager, and pay me a very respectable wage. Return on investment after tax is around 40% per year, and all profits will be re-invested back into the business.

What do I know about fixing cars? Bugger-all, but I'll no doubt learn a fair bit, and it'll be fun. But I'll be the administrator, book-keeper and oversee the operation, and the manager will mostly run the workshop, do repairs and supervise the staff.

The trick will be to find the right manager. Advertising for that will start after the contract becomes unconditional.

Talk about excitement! A bit of fear as well; it's an unknown, but I've done enough unknowns by now to be able to pull the trigger.

This, combined with the restaurant/reception centre business we bought earlier this year which is going well despite the D&G (people still get married) will put me out of the rat race for good - a few hours here and there to make sure things are running smoothly, but otherwise the managers and the staff cover it.

So there you go; don't just be locked into property guys. Use your property to further your investments into other investment "vehicles". Sorry. :D

Not what you might think;

it's another business. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love running businesses.

Yes, I know I should be looking to buy more property, given the climate we are now in/entering, but I want the cashflow NOW. The property can wait, and this business will fund it mostly.

We've had an offer accepted to buy a local car service, tyre and brake business. I was trawling the businesses for sale section of r/e.com and saw it there; the place we take our cars to get serviced! I know the owner very well. I had the car booked in for a service already, so when I dropped it off a few days later I asked the question, and here we are.

It's been about two and a half months to get to this stage, and a fair bit of D.D and meetings with the owner. The accountant has given it his blessing, so we're off.

One owner for over 25 years who is retiring, great location, unique in the area and VERY profitable. Long-term staff and very solid figures. Customers are all cash on delivery - in other words; no accounts - only cash or credit cards. Perfect. No "tyre-kicking" customers (pardon the pun) who waste your time with rain-checks and haggling over a few dollars and want to crunch you on prices for every single thing (like golfers). I'm done with that "nickle and dime" cr@p.

Asking was $380k plus stock and equipment at valuation - another $80k approx. This works out to around 2 times the nett profit after tax as the asking price. Reasonable. We paid the asking price, but negotiated a rent reduction for the first 6 months and a few other bits of equipment thrown in - a ute as well.

5 x 5 x 5 rent lease, CPI adjustments, and first option to buy the premises. Also includes a vacant lot next door to park the cars; the existing owner of the business will be the Landlord!

All up we will pay about $460k plus costs.

Nett profit before tax is an unbelievable $300k approx average for the last 3 years, based on official tax returns.

It is actually increasing in turnover each year, and we are long-term customers for our cars' servicing, so we know first hand how busy it is. Can't get the cars in to get any work done for 2 weeks as a rule.

There's enough "padding" in it to cover the rent, the "cost of money" and a manager, and pay me a very respectable wage. Return on investment after tax is around 40% per year, and all profits will be re-invested back into the business.

What do I know about fixing cars? Bugger-all, but I'll no doubt learn a fair bit, and it'll be fun. But I'll be the administrator, book-keeper and oversee the operation, and the manager will mostly run the workshop, do repairs and supervise the staff.

The trick will be to find the right manager. Advertising for that will start after the contract becomes unconditional.

Talk about excitement! A bit of fear as well; it's an unknown, but I've done enough unknowns by now to be able to pull the trigger.

This, combined with the restaurant/reception centre business we bought earlier this year which is going well despite the D&G (people still get married) will put me out of the rat race for good - a few hours here and there to make sure things are running smoothly, but otherwise the managers and the staff cover it.

So there you go; don't just be locked into property guys. Use your property to further your investments into other investment "vehicles". Sorry. :D

congrats bayview hope it all goes well, we took this route a few years ago and everything is going along nicely now looking at more ips:)

Do you have a strong non-compete provision with the former owner? Ive seen clients move to stay with a head mechanic.

Yep; there's a 10 year and 20km restriction on trading.

But I don't think it's an issue; the owner is 59, owns the premises and the car park, and is about to cop $480k for his business plus $50k per year rent forever.

I'd be running a mile from the nearest spanner if I was him!

He's also going to spend a month after settlement with me on the job, as part of our contract.

congrats bayview hope it all goes well, we took this route a few years ago and everything is going along nicely now looking at more ips:)

Good one James!

Care to swap a few notes here? Tell us your progress.

I love to hear about these sorts of enterprises.

I think it's an inspiration to the newbies; especially from the point of view that property is not the only path, and (profitable) businesses are a good add-on to the mix.

Congratulations Marc and well done on negotiating your offer & having it accepted.

Thanks for sharing the deal with us and I wish you all the best for the future with your new venture.

Good one James!

Care to swap a few notes here? Tell us your progress.

I love to hear about these sorts of enterprises.

I think it's an inspiration to the newbies; especially from the point of view that property is not the only path, and (profitable) businesses are a good add-on to the mix.

sure bayview well, we went from broke disabled pensioner, bought and sold a few houses bought 4 ips in some areas where there wasn't a lot of competition but knew a bit about the area and quite a few renters you know them bad places where the druggies etc are, things were going along nicely then if you remember last year I posted asking where to invest a certain amount of dollars well we had one managed salon that was bringing in about 20k not bad but not something you can raise a family with,

I got a lot of great advice from somersofters, and looked into some other businesses by the way 1 was a tyre centre as I have a passion for cars and one of my friends was a retired mechanic who used to worked for bentley but someone beat me to it :(

since we already had 1 managed business we looked into other salons and found 2 others that were managed and making good profits used our money to get 2 more and this put us on around 90k after rent and outgoings of course not bad since we started back in 2004 with a 15k bit of dirt

we would never of been able to do this without investing in realestate,

My wife liked the sounds of salons I was a bit iffy about the whole thing lol

numbers added up so we went for it now looking for more ips, and keeping an eye on realcommercial for other opportunities

I thought we would be happy with what we got. We also learnt currency trading,

that makes a nice bit of long term income although this was quite risky untill we worked out the kinks, still pretty risky if you don't know what your doing though,also risky even if you do I demo traded for 2yrs first.

the salons are pretty safe have had customers with them for many years and I guess people will always need haircuts.

this is just 1 avenue when we first started we just wanted 10 ip's returning $1000 a week income funny how things change.

Not everyones cup of tea the downside is keeping an eye on them since there 2hours away from where we are now. Other then that they have been doing well, haven't seen much impact from the global economic downturn which by the way is the best time to currency trade hehe you wouldn't believe what I made on the gbp/jpy a few weeks ago,

just by waiting longer then alot of the newbies who get wiped out pretty quick. :D

still haven't made it to your league yet but getting close will post when it happens :D

On a side note it makes me mad these d&gs saying they can't afford a property on 52k a year and I am a gen x if we could do it anyone can.

Last edited:
james

Do you now have 5 hair salons?

Are they female hair salons or a mixture of male & female?

Do you have Managers for all salons or one Manager to manage all salons?

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks for those kind words Rixter and Invstr.

Still some work to do; arranging finance, valuations, etc, but I'm looking forward to it.

Settlement should be around Feb is my guess.

James, thanks for sharing that story. I love it!

Great inspiration and shows what can be achieved!

james

Do you now have 5 hair salons?

Are they female hair salons or a mixture of male & female?

Do you have Managers for all salons or one Manager to manage all salons?

Regards
Sheryn

they are all a mixture male and female and no I have 3 now,well my wife does that's what I tell my mates lol. yes of course there managed I can't cut hair :eek: oh yes manager for each salon maybe I should make it 1 for all 2 of them are pretty close but I couldn't do that to them lol.

Congratulations, Marc!!!

I guess you won't have much time to spend on the golf course after New Year! Are you still going to continue to work as a golf pro?

All the best - hope the sale process goes smoothly for you.

Cheers
Lynn

Congratulations, Marc!!!

I guess you won't have much time to spend on the golf course after New Year! Are you still going to continue to work as a golf pro?

All the best - hope the sale process goes smoothly for you.

Cheers
Lynn

Yep.

I still love teaching, but you can't get rich doing it (unless you can fluke a pupil who becomes a super-star and by association you become famous too - such as a Steve Bann with Robert Allenby and later Stuart Appleby, or a David Leadbetter with Nick Faldo, but that hasn't happened).

If you could average 40 lessons per week you could do ok - take home about $1200 p/w, but this never happens, and take home of $1200 is nothing to crow about these days. Plus; I wouldn't want to do that many lessons - it'd do my head in.

So, after this deal is put to bed, I'll be giving the shop hours the heave-ho, and do my few lessons when it suits me. I'm an employee in the proshop as well and employees get paid bugger-all in our industry, plus I'm sick of that aspect of the job. Not that I do many shop hours anyway, but you are locked in to them with little flexibility. I don't mind those constraints if I'm earning bucket-loads from the work, but that's not the case.

Besides; when you've previously been a business owner, it's hard to go back to being an employee; especially in the same job, and with both the businesses now, it won't be required.

The wife will do some casual nursing shifts as she loves that, but hates having to do it all the time and not be free to do other stuff.

Yes, I know that's life, and everyone else is locked into that life, but we're not everyone; never want to be like the other 90% who do the 9-5 commute and live in burbs until 65.

We've got the opportunity to create our own destiny now, and it doesn't include the 9-5 grind. It's 15 years of dreaming coming to fruition.

This is the ultimate goal isn't it? Work because you want to, when you want to; not because you need to?

Last edited:
Yep.
but you are locked in to them with little flexibility. I don't mind those constraints if I'm earning bucket-loads from the work, but that's not the case.

fantastic news marc - i'm very excited for you.

this little bit rung so true for so many of us on ss. i think we've gotten spolit and realise there is so much more to life (and easier) than being locked in 9-5.

I gotta say Marc, congratulations mate. Awesome stuff and your story is very inspiring. I just love stories like yours & James.

You're right in that after being in business, its hard - if not impossible - to ever be an employee again. I had 'unemployable' stamped on my forehead a long time ago.

So guys, there it is, property investing in itself is great but can lead to so many opportunities to make you wealthy.

And with a business by increasing turnover and profit/decreasing expenses you can increase your cashflow and also the equity of what the business is worth, similar to property but much easier and much faster.

One question Marc,

Did you use an LOC against your IPs/PPOR to buy the businesses(s)? It would be the cheapest way (about 6% cost of money at present). Not many people use business loans these days.

Congratulations Marc.
Thank you to both you and James for sharing.
We are also browsing around with business at the moment as the 9-5 really hit us.
But we are looking at franchising? what do you think?

Yep; there's a 10 year and 20km restriction on trading.

But I don't think it's an issue; the owner is 59, owns the premises and the car park, and is about to cop $480k for his business plus $50k per year rent forever.

I'd be running a mile from the nearest spanner if I was him!

He's also going to spend a month after settlement with me on the job, as part of our contract.

Need to secure the key staff. People like the staff and the owner. When businesses sell it is often the time older staff decide to go it alone and steal your goodwill.

On you up side now is the wrong time to go out and start up with short pockets and if they could they may have bought the bus themssleves.

The rent is a good hook as what does owner do with land if a competitor comes good? I would look to buy that off him as well in time. Watch for contamination though!

Congrats, Peter

I gotta say Marc, congratulations mate. Awesome stuff and your story is very inspiring. I just love stories like yours & James.

You're right in that after being in business, its hard - if not impossible - to ever be an employee again. I had 'unemployable' stamped on my forehead a long time ago.

So guys, there it is, property investing in itself is great but can lead to so many opportunities to make you wealthy.

And with a business by increasing turnover and profit/decreasing expenses you can increase your cashflow and also the equity of what the business is worth, similar to property but much easier and much faster.

One question Marc,

Did you use an LOC against your IPs/PPOR to buy the businesses(s)? It would be the cheapest way (about 6% cost of money at present). Not many people use business loans these days.

Thanks Ev.

Finance is still to be approved, but we are going to be using equity from the PPoR, which is a LOC, and some from a new loan.

We haven't accessed all the equity in the PPoR, so that will need to be done as well. It looks like being about 60% LOC and 40% new loan.

We've got the opportunity to create our own destiny now, and it doesn't include the 9-5 grind. It's 15 years of dreaming coming to fruition.

This is the ultimate goal isn't it? Work because you want to, when you want to; not because you need to?

Absolutely, Marc!

Now all I've gotta do is wean hubby off his addiction to the smell of avgas and I might have a hope of doing what you and Mrs Bayview will shortly be doing.

Enjoy!!!!!

Cheers
Lynn

Back