I hate Tailgaters!!

I soooooo ****** hate tailgaters

:mad:

On my way home today I was driving down a residential street (50 Km) speed limit doing 50 km and this car came speeding up from a distance and tailgated me, but wouldnt overtake me. I wouldn't have minded it all for them to overtake me. There were no cars coming from the other direction. I had to put up with this for a couple of minutes until they got their chance to get past me as we got to a t junction.

Hmmm perhaps the only way to get them to overtake me is if i slow down to about 30 or 40 and start blincking to turn left or something.

Anyhow just came on here to vent.

What kinds of behaviour do you see on the road?? Share

Anyhow I gotta get outa here, I'll go take the doggies for a quick walk, poor things have been in all day by themselves.

seeyas

There was a guy here a couple of days ago who hated his uncle (possibly with nearly as much cause.)

He solved the problem! He belted him around the head with a flywheel from a motor.

The choice is yours. Carry a heavy piece of steel or treat it as something/nothing.

That sounds pretty silly on their part, but difficult to say without knowing the road or exact circumstances.

I think the number one curse on the roads by far is slow drivers hogging the right lane when they could just as easily be driving in the left lane. It's both highly inconvenient and dangerous. There are heaps of variations to this, with many just doing it from ignorance (it would seem) but quite a few also making particular effort to do it. I just can't understand why someone who has no desire to drive faster themselves, and could easily pull into the left lane, will sit in the right lane and make a conscious effort to stay beside a car in the left lane just so no one else can get through. Even worse, the moment a right lane becomes available they will pull into it and block it, with no intention whatsoever of overtaking anyone.

If I was put in charge of road rules, with unlimited power to change whatever I wanted, the first things I would do would be:

- Introduce mandatory defensive driving courses with periodic refreshers (focusing on awareness and risk, not driving skills). These courses would also focus on driving practices designed to minimise obstruction to traffic flows and the risk of accidents (like when d|ckheads stop on freeway on-ramps then expect to safely merge into busy 100kph traffic from a stand-still).

- Introduce graduated licences where you have to demonstrate certain degrees of competence to obtain higher levels (similar to scuba diving qualifications). No more licences from Weetbix packets. Higher levels would allow more freedoms but also incur greater responsibility (eg. in the case of an accident). You could potentially become a 10th dan black belt in operating a motor vehicle :D. The driver's licence level would need to be clearly on display, both front and back, while driving for the benefit of other drivers.

- Get rid of road-side speed limits altogether (but keep a few warning signs where appropriate). They are mostly unnecessary and more of a hazard than a help. Maximum speed, and other limits, would be determined by licence level. Similarly, some other blanket limits and restrictions might be changed to be based on licence level.

- Get rid of fines as penalties. This would remove the incentive for rules to be set for the greatest revenue gain. Breach of licence conditions would be penalised by perhaps some sort of points system for smaller offences, licence demotion or cancellation for more serious offences, and something that involves the offender's time and effort (eg. community service work) for really serious offences (jail even if it's that serious).

- Introduce a zero cost method for all penalties to be appealed. With no fines involved, there should be no financial incentive to steam-roll a conviction.

Some of the rule changes this would result in might be:

- Making it an offence to unduly obstruct a faster vehicle. In many situations (but by no means all), tailgating would put the front driver at fault (although if it resulted in a rear-ender, the following driver may bear some of the responsibility depending on their licence level).

- In incidents involving more than one vehicle, the driver(s) with the highest licence levels would attract more of the responsibility, although it would depend a lot on the nature of the incident.

- Scrap probably three-quarters of the current road rules. Most of them are just common sense, and many are so petty that I'm sure they're just there to allow you to be fined for just about anything.

Of course there's no way any of this would happen, as it would cost the government money and lose them a massive revenue stream at the same time.

GP

Hmmm perhaps the only way to get them to overtake me is if i slow down to about 30 or 40 and start blincking to turn left or something.
I have a sticker on the back of my car saying,"I slow down for Tailgaters" seems to work well for me,or if they get too close i just slam on the brakes,that seems to work also..willair...

if i'm alone in the car i just slam the brakes and watch the look on their face when they realize they are going to hit me, before stepping on the gas:D

don't get to have such fun when i have other people in my car:p

Roundabouts!

My main dislike is when you are on a roundabout and turning left off it, and the car on the left just drives straight through without even looking!!

Don't they know they have to give way to the cars ON the roundabout!! GGGRRR This happens at least twice a week going to work...

was driving down warrigal rd in chadstone. a woman in her mid-40s and her brood of children under 12 were in the car directly behind me. she kept flashing her lights at me and honking the horn. for anyone that knows warrigal rd in chadstone, there are actually THREE lanes! she could of overtaken me, but she didn't.
at the traffic lights, she pulled up beside me and her and her young brood began to hurl abuses. i was mortified to hear the language coming out of a 5-6 year olds mouth!
her delightful brood will be driving with their p-plates within the next 8 - 12 years. :eek:

another pet hate of mine is when i am being tailgated and when the driver finally does overtake me, drives very slowly. when i then go to overtake, the driver starts to speed and i don't have the horsepower to overtake. these people really do need a life :)

I don't like people who sit behind a truck doing 90ish in an area where there's minimal but adequate places to overtake, but they sit juuuuuuust close enough to the truck that you can't overtake one at a time, and juuuuuuuust far away enough that you can't overtake them both at once as the road is too twisty.

Then some idiot overtakes me and the slow person, has to cut in behind the truck fast and brake hard from incoming traffic, and gets stuck between the slow person and the truck for absolutely ages, constantly weaving to try and see past the truck because they are sandwiched so close they have no visibility.

I also don't like people in enormous vehicles who don't look. I had some absolutely monstrous digging machine pull out of a side road in front of me the other day - not a roadworks area, they were just driving along - without looking - and its not like he wouldn't have seen me, his vehicle was like 20 feet high with the cabin near the top - and I had to brake very hard from 110 to 20 to miss him. He was much wider than the road and you couldn't drive around him onto the verge.

Tailgaters are bad too, nothing worse than having someone come flying up behind you at 150 and then sit a metre off your tail. So you slow down, and slow down, and there you are doing 80 on a dead straight road in the middle of the day with perfect visibility and no oncoming traffic and a carload of idiots honking at you. So you pull off the road because they are obviously city folks who don't realise you can overtake, and they go past hurling abuse ..

Good solution for tailgaters-put one foot lightly on the brake (so that the brake lights go on) and one foot firmly on the accelerator pedal.

Keep an eye on what goes on behind by glancing in the rear vision mirror.

QLD'ers main culprits

I'm constantly amazed by the ingrained level of tailgating that I see upon regular trips to brisvegas - it's like tailgating is a core component of the learner driving courses, and you fail the test if you can't aggressively tailgate! :eek:

Good solution for tailgaters-put one foot lightly on the brake (so that the brake lights go on) and one foot firmly on the accelerator pedal.

Keep an eye on what goes on behind by glancing in the rear vision mirror.

If you turn on your headlights, they will still see the red lights go on and will not know it is your night lights and NOT your brake lights. Much safer than even touching the brakes when there is an idiot behind you.

i also flick my lights on - then the red light comes on at the back to look like i'm braking without any risk of them running up the back of me.

but - on that front - i haaaaate people that drive slow. 30 in a 50, 40 in a 60 etc. any one usually gets stuck behind them when in a hurry.

or those people that when they come to an overtaking lane, pull out and race ahead but then slow right down again when the lanes converge.

okay, so i'm a zippy driver - i'm really looking forward to when they perfect teleporting.

I have a sticker on the back of my car saying,"I slow down for Tailgaters" seems to work well for me,or if they get too close i just slam on the brakes,that seems to work also..willair...

Yeah, i like the sticker idea. The thing is... i just wish they would leave me the **** alone, thats it really!! I dont care if they want to go off and speed, just leave me alone. Overtake me, I dont mind that.

Sometimes if they get too close i'll lightly tap on the brakes but um nope wont slam the brakes on, they'll smash into me!!

I think some people just enjoy playing a game of ******* people off by going up your bum like that. Or maybe they think if they do it that i'll speed up for them.

I hate seeng idiots who don't adjust their driving to allow for wet weather.

It was raining this morning and this guy was literally only about a few ruler lengths away from the car in front of him. The cars in front of him were tailgating each other too but not as severe.

I was in the left lane keeping a good distance to the car in front of me. In the right lane there were two extra cars in the same gap compared to my left lane. So if one of the cars had to suddenly brake quite of few cars rear enders.

Idiots

:confused:

another pet hate of mine is when i am being tailgated and when the driver finally does overtake me, drives very slowly. when i then go to overtake, the driver starts to speed and i don't have the horsepower to overtake. these people really do need a life :)

Yeah they just love to be the leader of the pack I think

Back