Vendor wont settle??

We were due to settle on a ip in nsw last monday, we were ready however the landlord wasn't. Our solicitor states no response from the otherside all week and has issued notice to settle. The agent keeps saying he is awaiting the vendor to return his calls.

We had installed in the contract approval to do minor renovations between exchange and settlement, we have spent around 5k already on improvments.

Anyone been or come across this situation in the past??

We were due to settle on a ip in nsw last monday, we were ready however the landlord wasn't. Our solicitor states no response from the otherside all week and has issued notice to settle. The agent keeps saying he is awaiting the vendor to return his calls.
The 'notice to complete' should stir things up.

We had installed in the contract approval to do minor renovations between exchange and settlement, we have spent around 5k already on improvments.
This is one of the risks of renovating prior to settlement - but a minor one @ $5K

Anyone been or come across this situation in the past??
It seems to happen a bit. A few ppl on the forum having the same issues - don't know why? Does the vendor have to move out & find a place to rent for themselves? Were they there during your reno?

I'm having exactly the same problem as 'thamask' i was going to post a thread, but i will put my story below (not in an attempt to steal masks thunder, but hopefully to assist us both)

Property due to settle 16th feb i think it was, was delayed to 27th feb, notice to complete was issued shortly after 16th due to expire around 4th march. (added: didnt settle on 27th, delayed again settlement date unknown)

After some investigation (conveyancer was absolutly useless, i contacted RE agent)
apprently the vendor doesn't have their **** together with finance, they own some other investment properties and this one i think has more debt on it then its selling for *note this may not be the case* but are currently having other properties revalued by their bank.

Now what i would like to know if anyone has knowledge on here.

1.) Is their anyway i can lose out on this sale, is their something legally binding that force them to sell me the property?

2.) From talking to a few different people, conveyancers/re agent they don't seem to have a straight answer but they said if they couldn't i would have to sue them for costs (Inspections, conveyancers fees etc etc)

Some people say u have less holding costs, but its a positive CF property before tax deductions.

I know its prolly just the vendors bank jackin them around, i wish people could be bloody organised as i've had to mess around tradies doing things for me and i know their patience is wearing thin.

Cheers,

RH

Last edited:
On our last deal we asked for a lengthy settlement which was not granted, however the vendor then delayed settlement for about three weeks.

He did keep in contact with our conveyancer though.

Our conveyancer sent him something nasty (can't remember the name of the document) which requested penalties after X date as we had tenants waiting to move in. We ended up waiving the penalties and our tenants moved in before settlement - this was all done properly through our conveyancer.

riding high - was your purchase out west? It could possible be the same vendor as he was selling up to 5 of his properties. Pm me if you like.

Sometimes it is the bank that has trouble settling on time; not your bank - the venders bank.

We sold a property a number of years ago and the settlment was delayed by 2-3 weeks because my bank (rams) discharge centre was overwealmed at the time.

make sure you charge penalty interest

if you don't settle on time then you're charged

tell them to take their time (if OK with you) and charge them at 9% per day :eek:

they'll soon settle asap

Back