Melbournce Conveyancing Solicitors

Can any investors recommend a very good solicitor to conduct my residential investment property conveyancing in Melbourne?

Thanks Kristine. Their website links are not working for some reason.

Have you personally used their services or do you work with them in conjunction with your MB business clients?

Hi Rixter

I first used Francis & Torrens in 1989.

They still have the same ownership and the same staff. They have handled (quite) a number of transactions for us over that time. In fact, I dropped a file in there on Friday as No: 1 Son will sell his Serviced Apartment soon and we need to have the S.32 organised.

Yes, some of my broker customers have also chosen to use Francis & Torrens, and sometimes someone has contacted me from picking up a card at their reception, but generally speaking I do not 'recommend' or 'refer' anyone in the course of business. So my suggestion today is from me as one of their satisfied customers.

Over the years Francis & Torrens have certainly handled some complex cases for us and I have always felt welcome to call them if I have a question about anything property related. They have never resented the occasional fifteen minutes of 'free' information. What goes around comes around.

Regarding the links, perhaps the server is down? Their phone number is Melbourne 9870 0904

Cheers
Kristine

Pardon my interstate ignorance - S32??

Thanks so much Kristine for the personal referral. I will follow them up. :)

Rixter, a section 32 is the victorian legal document that both parties need to sign for the sale - the vendor provides it so Kristine's son needs to get his prepared before being able to sell.

Ive used Lynne from DeMarco Lawyers for my last 2 purchases and have found her very attentive and pro-active.

http://www.demarco.com.au/

So what documents are required to purchase a property in Victoria? Whats the purchasing process through to settlement?

Hi Rick,

after you've done your pre offer research online and on the ground (as relevant) ask for a Vendor's Statement or Section 32 as it's called in Vic. Read thru the various statements made in that document by the vendors with regards to (but not limited to) bulding approvals, insurances, restrictions, easements, covenants, planning and road access, overlays, ougoings and statuatory charges, other notices or declarations, services connected (water, sewer, power, gas, telco, etc) title particulars, etc.

THere will be an ANSTAT register search statment about the land, look for caveats and easements, etc. Also there will be a plan of subdivision of the land and any eseament or similar under the land plan description.

I usually ask for this Sec 32 before I even get in my car, if not ready. I may go and have a look. In bullish days gone past a non-available sec 32 was (IMO) done for reasons of gaining interest and momentum in a property and playing potential purhasers off with dutch auctions, etc.

You can put in an offer subject to all you nominated conditions, such as building and pest and solicitors approvasl if you deem necessary. I usually give a $ 500 deposit or up to $ 1000 with the balance to 10 % (or whatever you negotiate) upon contract going unconditional.

The contract note has a different look as I noticed just days ago when I put my foot on a property for a couple of weeks DD and building and pest. Most important to me when I put in an offer is the amount of time to give vendors to accept and counter-sign the contract or to reject. You will need to add this as a clause on your conditional (subject to clauses) page, as there is no nominated space on the contract note any more.....a bit too vendor friendly me thinks. :rolleyes: I usually allow up to 24 hours. In my recent case I gave them 6 hours. Make a decision or not is my view and then you can negotiate price or terms......or move on.

Assuming contract goes unconditional then your solicitor or conveyancer will attend to the relevant searches and the remaining time line. You may wish to lodge a caveat on the property. I would insure it from day of purchase or going unconditional with a cover note at least from your insurer or broker.

Others here may have more to add or shoot some questions thru Rixter. I'm so familiar with the process (for my criteria and negotiating terms) that I may have missed some pertinant points.........becomes second nature and get's done off auto pilot.....intuition;)

I cannot help with any advice about bodies corporate and issues relateing to units and townies as I don't buy such under my strategy. Some other forumites may add some key points on that score.

Good LUCK with your investigations and purchases, or should I say Good Labour Under Correct Knowledge :D

Hi

I have used a couple of different ones, the one I liked the best was Sean Winters of Winters Conveyancing he is in the Sth East Suburbs and its a small little business that he runs himself but he is a top bloke and easy to work with - No. 9762 5133. This is the 4th conveyancer I am on and the others were terrible.

Alysha

Back