ITWV Application 2010 - Nearly time to start working on it.

I received this email from the ATO today. For those not using the ITWV, get amongst it!

Lodge your PAYG withholding variation application 2010
using e-variation from 1 May 2009.
After 29 April 2009, the current 2009 PAYG withholding e-variation will no longer be available.

You can use e-variation to lodge any PAYG withholding variation application: simply enter the relevant reason code.

To access e-variation at www.ato.gov.au

select 'Find a form or publication' from the left menu

select 'All forms'

then 'Search'

then enter '2036' into the NAT number field

then click on the link to the PAYG withholding variation application 2010 (NAT 2036)

then follow the prompts.

How long do you have to wait for your variation?
When you lodge your e-variation application, you should receive an on-screen message with your reference number. If you do not get this message, the transmission may still have been successful. Do not transmit the e-variation again as this will delay the processing of the application.

We will send you an email confirming receipt or your application. If you do not get this email, please phone 1300 360 221 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

In most cases e-variation applications are processed within 14 days. Please wait 21 days before phoning to check on the progress.

More information
If you have more questions:

visit our website www.ato.gov.au

phone 1300 360 221 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, or

email us at [email protected]

Erin Holland
Deputy Commissioner of Taxation

The ATO will be asking for additional tax (over and above PAYG tax) from me in FY2010.....which is a good thing (?) ;)

Someone once said .. don't complain about payign tax, it means your'e making money.
Someone else said .. nobody ever went broke making a profit (not sure they saw the Enron documentry before they said that, though).

Rob, I assume that you didn't have any trouble sending it through electronically? I did mine about 10 days ago, but got an error message on both of ours and then it wouldn't let me re-submit.

I'll talk to the ATO today to find out how to fix.

Minx,

I had the error message too and you cannot resubmit online:mad: Apparently ATO are experiencing major issues with the 09/10 software.

Contacted ATO yesterday - we need to print it and send by mail asking for it to be processed ASAP - yeah right....

Ash

Rob, I assume that you didn't have any trouble sending it through electronically? I did mine about 10 days ago, but got an error message on both of ours and then it wouldn't let me re-submit.

I'll talk to the ATO today to find out how to fix.

Just got an email from a friend who had same issue. When he called, they said they didn't receive it and he has to print it and post it to them.
Mine went through an hour ago, so I guess I got lucky.

just to clarify - this is only for those wanting to make changes or start new?

we've had our variation in place for over 12 months now (with occasional resubmission to revisit the figures) and haven't received anything from ato.

just to clarify - this is only for those wanting to make changes or start new?

we've had our variation in place for over 12 months now (with occasional resubmission to revisit the figures) and haven't received anything from ato.

You're supposed to lodge a new one each year. My initial post was prompted by the email they sent me advising that the 2010 form was available after April 29th.
In other words, if you want to take advantage of the ITWV for the 2009/2010 FY, you need to submit a new form (use the 2009 one as a template). The letter the employer receives tells them what rate to deduct each pay for the FY, so if they are on the ball, they will revert to standard tax rates from July 1 2009, unless they receive an updated letter from the ATO for the 2010 FY, which will be triggered by the ITWV that needs to be lodged ASAP. Have I answered your question or just made it sound more complicated?

Thanks Rob .. for this advice. Must work on ours and submit online
over the weekend.

We too received an email sometime April advising that the link was
available.

Amelia

Thanks Rob .. for this advice. Must work on ours and submit online
over the weekend.

Lodging the variation "over the weekend" will be too late if you want it to take effect from the first week of July. If that's not an issue, feel free to submit whenever.

As Rob said, it has to be in by tomorrow. I'm doing mine tonight. Luckily I saved the template, so I shouldn't have to fill in every field online this time!

-- MJ.

I do my online. When I get to the last page and I have to "sign" the document, it complains that the date isn't equal to todays date. That's because I use last years as a template.
I change my PC date (temporarily) to the date on the form, then it lets me change the form date to the actual current date.
Just in case someone has the same problem at the eleventh hour ...

Thanks for the timely heads up Rob.

Just finished lodging my form this morning. Hope it is right. Is there a way to adjust it if you get more income or lower interest rates which would affect it.

Do you just keep sending in variation to the variation.

I do my online. When I get to the last page and I have to "sign" the document, it complains that the date isn't equal to todays date. That's because I use last years as a template.
I change my PC date (temporarily) to the date on the form, then it lets me change the form date to the actual current date.
Just in case someone has the same problem at the eleventh hour ...

I had this same problem. To get around it, all you have to do it change the day to a blank (it's the last value you can choose in the drop down). Then set the date to today's day. Simple! :D

Thanks for the timely heads up Rob.

Just finished lodging my form this morning. Hope it is right. Is there a way to adjust it if you get more income or lower interest rates which would affect it.

Do you just keep sending in variation to the variation.

If your situation changes, you just submit another variation form. Easy. I try to understate mine a little. This gives me a buffer to avoid updates during the year and the potential to get a bit of a return at tax time.

I had this same problem. To get around it, all you have to do it change the day to a blank (it's the last value you can choose in the drop down). Then set the date to today's day. Simple! :D

That's the difference between you code cutters and us hardware guys. Different solutions. Same outcome.

How odd, when I rang the ATO yesterday, I was told to re-submit and it would go through without problem. The error message was a glitch that only occurred on the 1st and 2nd of May which has since been fixed. Not to worry, I suppose if I get another error message I'll just post it. I ran out of time last night to make an attempt so will do either tonight or over weekend.

Thanks all.

Someone told me that if you submit the PAYG variation and get it wrong, i.e. over state your expenses, the ATO will never approve your variation again. Is this true ? that seems a bit harsh. Especially with interest rates being more volatile. I thought you would just reconcile the differences in the following years tax return.

Seeking comment.

Don't rush too much peoples. If you look at the following link :

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.asp?doc=/content/00188348.htm&page=2&H2

you will see that you have until 15th May 2010 to get your form in - it takes a couple of weeks to go through, so the sooner the better of course.

"If this application is approved, the varied rate or amount of withholding will start from the next available payday after your pay office receives the notice of withholding variation from us."

Why you would want to wait till this time next beats me - I suppose if yo do that ongoing you can be more accurate.

I put mine in the last week of June last year and it was fixed by first July payday.

Don't rush too much peoples. If you look at the following link :

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.asp?doc=/content/00188348.htm&page=2&H2

you will see that you have until 15th May 2010 to get your form in - it takes a couple of weeks to go through, so the sooner the better of course.

No, no, no.

You have until 15th May 2010 to get your ITWV form in for the end of tax year 2010 to apply for any variations up until 30th June 2010. After 15th May 2010, you can't apply for any variation because it's too close to the end of the financial year.

I put mine in the last week of June last year and it was fixed by first July payday.

You're lucky. The ATO need the ITWV to be in by today to guarantee that your payments are varied from the first week of July. Last year I left mine until the end of May and the ATO still accommodated me. YMMV.

Back