Sydney LNS High Humidity\Mould ?

I recently had my new tenant make a request to my property manager that I install a dehumidifier to my property because they are having mould issues, the property is located in Greenwich on the lower north shore of Sydney.
Apparently this mould is forming in all the rooms on the unit not just wet areas.

To be honest I find this very hard to believe as I have owned the unit for 14 months and for the first 12 months my first tenant did not report any such a problem.

I am more inclined to think that the tenant is doing something to cause this issue if there even is one at all, i.e. faulty clothes dryer not being ventilated to outside correctly maybe?

has anyone else with knowledge of Sydney’s Greenwich and the lower north shore ever heard of this kind of problem in the past? Is the area prone to high humidity and mould formation in its buildings?

I live in Melbourne and I do not have in depth knowledge of the area.

This is my first IP and I’m not sure if this is the type of thing that a land lord is responsible for if there is a genuine problem. Or are they trying to take me for a ride?

I would appreciate some advice from other investors.

Thank you
N_M
:):confused:

I think it would be a building specific issue - look at the dryer, ventilation (bathroom/laundry should be automatic) etc.

I lived in the next suburb (waverton) with no issues...

i do not know the area, but other areas have a much higher humidity issue! ie qld NT etc. sounds like drier or lazy window opening, you might have to get someone reliable to clean the mould now so it reduces the spread further down the line, as the tennent is not likly to do this if they are to slack to even open a window?

SYD does have high humidity. We have had the same mould issues with some tenants as you are having.

I guess what yours are doing is probably having a shower / using the dryer / cooking (steam producing) and not opening any windows to ventilate. Then off they go to work and leave the place all shut up - for security reasons or whatever. It will get worse over the coming winter months too as they won't open any doors or windows because it is too cold.

The only thing we've found effective is an e-mail to the PM saying that you personally have had no problem when you lived there and explaining the ventilation thing.
PLUS we used bleach solution on the paintwork (to clean off existing mould) and repainted using an anti-mould additive to the paint. This works for a couple of years even if they still refuse to open a window. Air-con puts out very dry air too - so you might consider that if you don't have one.

The issue you presently have may create a problem for you if you don't take some action, as mould can cause health problems and you will be seen as a a slum-lord / open yourself to possible legal claims from the tenant. As soon as we get an inspection report from one of our PMs that mentions 'mould' we are onto it.

Not sure about that area.

I have lived somewhere else where mould was a problem though - thoughout the entire house. There really wasn't much that could be done about it, except to clean it off as soon as it starts appearing. If the tenant doesn't clean it up asap, then it spreads like wildfire - so maybe your last tenant didn't complain because they did clean it off regularly and thus it wasn't as bad?

The problem is usally due to a number of issues: poor ventilation, damp cold weather, not having proper sealing on windows and doors. Have a look where the mould is - this can help indicate what the problem is. ie, if it around the windows etc, or up on the roof. If it is on the ceiling it can be an indication of a bigger problem, such as leaking tiles - although not always.

I have managed properties that have had mould with some TTs and then no mould with others.. I believe it is more often than not, the environment that the TT puts the property in.. Lack of ventalation, long, hot showers then the go to work with out letting the steam get out,.. They have often tried to blame the property but I always put it back on them... If they are prepared to have the building assessed by an expert in mould that will write a report saying such, then i tell them that the LL will repay for the report and we will fix the propeblem... In 19 years as a PM i have NEVER had the TT produce a report saying it was LL's problem... Mould is completley different to rising damp issues... Just because someone says something it doesn't make it so... Stand your ground and get them to prove their allegations first.

Same here, one IP (was PPOR at one stage) had terrible mould (when managed by PM) yet I never had a problem with it when living there and tenants before and after have not either.

This particular tenant had humidifier for the kids and did not open windows for ventilation....the mould in the rooms adjacent to the bathroom were covered in it and it was never reported.....that was the last straw with PM's for us....

The next tenant reported the mould starting to appear on the ceiling, we bought some exitmould and chux and asked tenant to clean it each time it appears....she's happy with that and it has not re-appeared as she is good with venting the place...

There is another alternative which does work completely. It is a solar dehumidifier called Solarventi. Completely solar run with no maintenance, no running costs and will eradicate damp, mould and condensation for good. It also is a big plus when trying to get a tenant in as it draws in clean fresh air- a bonus for allergy and asthma sufferers. More information can be found at www.solair.com.au

I currently have the same problem with one tenant out of a block of 9 units.

The mould is all over the ceiling and walls on the south side of the unit. The day I went there the unit was closed tight not a window open in the place and they had moved in another person who was using the second bedroom.

I surmised that now that there was another person in the unit the tenants were keeping the bedroom door shut throughout the night and with the tenant his wife and kids all sleeping in this room they were simply steaming the room up. He mentioned that they could see condensation on the walls in the morning.

Advised him to open a window as often as possible and as it is the middle unit that he could leave one or two windows slightly ajar during the sunny/dry days to assist in drying/ventilating the place.

Cheers

just spent couple of hours cleaning the ceiling in the living room of the house we rent (probably first time in 5-10 years, as i doubt that previous tenants did it). while cleaning i remembered this thread. gave me a chuckle. :D

ceilings look sparkling white now.

we do get mould in the bathroom quite often, especially this time of the year, as we are having shower with windows closed, and condensation is virtually flowing from the ceiling

it only takes 10 mins once a month to wipe the mould off, not sure why people cry about it

Years ago while living in Toowoomba the unit I lived in used to get mould on the ceilings on one side of the unit. My flatmate used a product called BC36 one weekend and wiped over the ceilings. When I returned on the Monday, the mould was gone.

A year or two later in my next house, I borrowed what he had left over to do the ceilings in my bathrooms. It had a bit of an odour, so had to leave the windows open but does a magic job. I didn't think you could buy it anymore as I had not seen it. But several years later (in the last 12 months) I found it back on the shelf in Mitre 10. It is called BC36 Concentrated Mould & Mildew Cleaner. I bought a sponge mop specifically for the purpose as thought I would need to through it out after I had used it. But the new formula no longer has the smell. Using the sponge mop, I can just mop the ceilings from the floor and not need to climb up a ladder. The new formula is just as good as the old one. The ceilings in the bathrooms once again come up white again, with very little effort.

Kinga

There is another alternative which does work completely. It is a solar dehumidifier called Solarventi. Completely solar run with no maintenance, no running costs and will eradicate damp, mould and condensation for good. It also is a big plus when trying to get a tenant in as it draws in clean fresh air- a bonus for allergy and asthma sufferers. More information can be found at www.solair.com.au

That's an interesting product. Not sure I would put one in an IP, but I'm thinking of my home - it gets cold and damp upstairs in the winter. Ekiec, I'm guessing you might have something to do with this company. Can you send me an email and tell me more - [email protected]

Oh, and another cause of damp is an unflued gas heater. Those small room heaters that run on gas put out lots of heat, and lots of water vapour.
I've got one and this winter I've gone back to an electric heater. Costs more to run I'd say, but puts no moisture into the air.

Probably due to all the rain lately in Sydney. I'd say lack of ventilation is not normally a problem but everything has been pretty damp lately.

The issue you presently have may create a problem for you if you don't take some action, as mould can cause health problems and you will be seen as a a slum-lord / open yourself to possible legal claims from the tenant. As soon as we get an inspection report from one of our PMs that mentions 'mould' we are onto it.

A little nervous. Tenant just complained about mould in ceiling in a number of rooms (its a house). PM is getting a roofer 'onto it' but how would you suggest dealing with it to minimise my exposure?

Tenant just complained about mould in ceiling in a number of rooms (its a house). PM is getting a roofer 'onto it' but how would you suggest dealing with it to minimise my exposure?

First off I'd stop the PM getting a roofer out there. That is the first thought every PM I've ever had thinks - "the roof must be leaking" - der!

Roof leaks are characterised by usually one black big round patch - the size of say a dinner plate.

General ventilation problems give you mould spots all over the ceiling in a number of rooms. This happens from just not opening bedroom windows and letting fresh air in after sleepers breathing out moist air all night.

2 things to try maybe 3:
1. Take advantage of the $1,000 free roof insulation being offered since 1/7/09 from the Feds
2. Use a bleach solution on the paintwork (to clean off existing mould) and repaint using an anti-mould additive to the paint. This works for a couple of years even if they still refuse to open a window.
3. Air-con puts out very dry air too - so you might consider that if you don't have one.

Don't just leave it.

First off I'd stop the PM getting a roofer out there. That is the first thought every PM I've ever had thinks - "the roof must be leaking" - der!

Really, she just called to say a roofer is going to be out there tomorrow. They'll probably invent some problem.

Its ironic you mentioned the $1K insulation grant for LLs, it was trying to get an appointment for an insulation co to quote that the tenants decided to bring this up.

So to summarise, you suggest cleaning it off with some bleach etc then get a painter (I won't be doing the work myself) to paint with anti mould paint? That's gonna cost a few hundred, and that's 2-3 rooms. Suppose might be cheaper than a roofer suggesting a re-roof. What if the roof is leaking water? There is one section of the roof that's a little bowed (cave in look).

Really, she just called to say a roofer is going to be out there tomorrow. They'll probably invent some problem.
Wouldn't be a "roofer" if he didn't :D

Its ironic you mentioned the $1K insulation grant for LLs, it was trying to get an appointment for an insulation co to quote that the tenants decided to bring this up.
I'm getting my PPOR and all my IPs done at no cost to me. ;)

So to summarise, you suggest cleaning it off with some bleach etc then get a painter (I won't be doing the work myself) to paint with anti mould paint?
Yes

That's gonna cost a few hundred, and that's 2-3 rooms.
Probaby, or do you want to go to the Tribunal and get wacked with medical bills - its your call :rolleyes:

Suppose might be cheaper than a roofer suggesting a re-roof.
If the cause is not a leaking roof, then a new roof is not going to fix the problem

What if the roof is leaking water?
mmmmm If it were me - I'd get it fixed - call me old fashioned.

There is one section of the roof that's a little bowed (cave in look).
That does not mean it is leaking. It does not mean it isn't either.

Just to be clear, here are 2 pics.

One is from a roof leak, the other fom poor ventilation.

Attachments

• LeakingRoof.jpg
    LeakingRoof.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 95
  • MouldyCeiling.jpg
    MouldyCeiling.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 91
Thanks, I'm onto it. My painter's gonna access the property in next few days. He'll check the roof while he's there to make sure (hopefully) there aren't any leaks.

Back