5 week window for reno

Hi all.

Well as mentioned on another thread. I have secured my second IP . It is a nice older style house but the big plus is its a subdividable corner block plus it has a self contained granny flat that is quite big.

Settlement is in 5 weeks and i plan on having tennants in the next day.The reno consists of

Full repaint inside and out
Fit toilet in Bathroom
Refurb kitchen
Polish floor boards
Carpet bedrooms
New window covering
New light fittings
New door furniture
Split double garage into two
Fit two extra doors in garage
6 metres of concrete path
New lights for garage
There is more but thats the bulk of it.

I planned on taking leave to do this but due to someone leaving my leave has been cancelled. I have 4 weekends and weeknights after work to complete this. It will be a stretch but hopefully with some luck it should be ok.The weekend just gone was productive with all windows fixed and primed.

I will keep those that are interested updated

Wow! talk about having your work cut out for you!!
I will follow this thread with great interest as I am possibly going to do something similar in the near future...hmmm. might see how you go before I commit!
Good luck with it and make sure you have fun!:)

Boods

BTW, are you planning to do all of the work yourself, or are you going to outsource some of it?

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty cool deal that you've gotten into. I missed the original thread so went back and found it now. Nice work, mate. This is what I like to see!

Are you happy to share; do you have a budget for the reno, and the expected (capital, and rental) return as a result?

Also curious, what the plan is for the subdividable backyard?

I know another investor who did a very similar project in two weeks (albeit full time) so what you're looking to do is achievable. Good luck with it, mate. Hope you don't wear yourself out too much - enjoy!

Great work.
I'm trying to organise early access on a place now.
So may be doing the same soon.

How did you go about it?

Can you tell us where your property is?

One important suggestion - don't burn yourself out.

Take time out to mellow out and to just look at the place and analyse it. What i find, and this works for me, is to just sit for a good period of time, look at the place, study it and try and absorb the place before contemplating any work. Don't rush into any immediate plans or thoughts, but get the gel of place, work out how people will live in it and what are the key areas of it. Then set out a plan or schedule - not a rushed plan, but a plan that allows you to take time out so that you can get the gel of what you are doing.

I've done a couple of kitchens like that, and beforehand, i just sit in the kitchen and i try and visualise the work areas of the kitchen, the natural flows of human movement, the practicalities of the space and then base the remodelling on that.

One of my friends recently did a kitchen and for the life of me they chose to put the sink about 2 metres away from the cutting bench and island. I asked them why they did this as i normally try and put the sink directly behind the cutting bench (so that i can cut, and then turn 180 degrees and wash straight away), but they said that that they wanted continuous cupboards and benchspace and have the sink at the end of the benches. To me, this doesn't work and is not practical and i think over time they will regret it.

That is why i visualise the movements and natural workflows of the area.

The same with the landscaping - a good trick i use when i am landscaping is to take my dog with me, and let him loose in the yard before i do any planning or work and i just sit and watch him walk around. A dog is a good indicator as he finds the natural walking paths - that is, a dog will only go in an area that he is comfortable with and he will go the same way all the time, so i watch where he walks and what he does in the garden and then i landscape the garden according to what he does. Then when it is finished, the garden will have natural walking paths and areas naturally "cordoned" off or separated. I've tried this experiment with two dogs (border collie and a Jack Russell) and it came it good each time and i had post landscaping comments that the gardens were very well designed.

So i am basically saying, don't develop a strategy that is too rushed, but instead, take time out to really look and analyse the place you are remodelling and visualise the area, the workflows and natural movements beforehand.

Maybe i should write a book - "zen and the art of renovations".

Thanks

g

OK Once again thanks for the kind words.

Fokas
Yes i am taking photos allthough i missed the real scary ones when i first started.

Boods99
It is a bit of a push but with some help it should be ok. I have friends in all the trades required so we will see. I will keep this thread up to date as much as i can. clearly i will be spending less time in front of a computer so ill grab time before work like i am now.

Jamesgg
The budget should be around $5000. This is with many of my friends looking after me price wise and with labour.If its more or less it would be my choice as i have decided to add or remove things depending on my desired finish. So far im at about $1000. This is paint and odd bits.The back block is just right for another house. A similar house 100 meters away also split its block and built on the back. Its new house sold quickly for a good price. Plus a similar property( Big corner) on the same block( Slightly better house) is on the market for about $120,000 more than i paid so the numbers appear good.

Travelbug
I just asked for early access and they agreed so lucky i guess. The house was empty so that helps a lot. I didnt have access to the flat due to a tenant being in there. I have just found out he intends to move out earlier now giving me two weeks access befor settlement so looks like i can add a unit reno to my job card:(

Tonight i plan on priming all interior doors so this will have all the interior ready for final painting this weekend. I will start cutting in over the next few days also so my helpers dont have to do the crap bit and they can roll the majority of it this weekend.
I will also continue lifting the lino that is tared down in the kitchen. NOT FUN AT ALL. My mate is dropping in to measure the carpet for the bedrooms tonight also so another full day night ahead.

gg1965
You are right and i am always watching the direction it is heading. I am lucky that i am not changing the bones of the property. If i was living in it it may be different. Loads of potential as a PPOR.

Does anybody else think this seems incredibly low??? Or is it just me? :confused:
That would depend on materials-labour cost and time management,but i think you are very lucky to gain early access,but just by looking at the workload,the plumbing elec's,unless you have someone in the trade and they work for nothing then it might work,just the plumbing-elec's local council permits would be above 700 bucks for a start if all the work is legal and passed by the council,but 5 k in my mind would not even cover the
materials costs,so good luck,just looking at the list makes me dizzy..
good luck willair..

Does anybody else think this seems incredibly low??? Or is it just me? :confused:

Yes it is very low and i know how things add up. But much of the work will be materials only and a lot of favours owed. The most costly will be fitting a toilet to the bathroom. It may go over budget when it comes to light fittings,door furniture,widow coverings. If the quality up to this stage is good then i will pick better fitments to go with it.

Oh and the reno on the granny flat if required will be different kettle of fish.It is full brick so internal painting should not be required. just floor coverings and some cosmetic work in the kitchen i think.

Yes it is very low and i know how things add up. But much of the work will be materials only and a lot of favours owed.
OK. Well, if you achieve it, you're a much better budget manager than me, and I may have to hire you to PM my next reno. :p

I'll be interested to hear the final tally. Seriously. And I'll be the first to congratulate you if you achieve it. I'm not having a go, I just really think - like willair - that you'll be lucky to cover materials alone with $5K.

But hey, maybe I'm influenced by my $50-60K 2-month reno having come in at $240K and 8 months... :eek: :D

OK. Well, if you achieve it, you're a much better budget manager than me, and I may have to hire you to PM my next reno. :p

I'll be interested to hear the final tally. Seriously. And I'll be the first to congratulate you if you achieve it. I'm not having a go, I just really think - like willair - that you'll be lucky to cover materials alone with $5K.

But hey, maybe I'm influenced by my $50-60K 2-month reno having come in at $240K and 8 months... :eek: :D

To be honest you are probably right. I have already priced all materials as "originally planned" and $5,000 covers it safetly but as it progresses i find myself adding more touches than planned. Not through missing things just improving beyond what i first intended. I will give an honest pricing as i go so others can gain from it. So far looking at receipts im sitting on about $920 for paint and materials.

I reckon you can do it Devo.

End of last year we did this to our PPOR:

knocked out wall b/w kitchen and dining and repaired
brand new kitchen including cornices
replaced 100m2 of carpet and lino with a floating laminate floor
painted every room of a 3-bed house
new built-ins in all 3 bedrooms
new blinds
couple of new doors
new handles
new light fittings
new ensuite (all new tiling, toilet, vanity, shower etc. etc.)
tiled separate toilet

took 3 and a half weeks going hammer and tongs everyday. Needed to do it this way so we could move in before I started a new job and went back to work.

As others have already said, make sure you plan everything well in advance so when you do have access or ownership, everything just flows ...... hopefully.

Good luck with it and enjoy :D

Thanks for that

Carpet quote is in. $800 bucks fitted.
Getting the floor polished and sealed looks like about $ 700 total. Just need to confirm gear hire price. 2 hours to go until i knock off work and hit it again.

Thanks for that

Carpet quote is in. $800 bucks fitted.
Getting the floor polished and sealed looks like about $ 700 total. Just need to confirm gear hire price. 2 hours to go until i knock off work and hit it again.

How big an area for the floor? Are you doing it yourself?

We just had our verandah sanded and 3 coats of (whatever they use).

It cost $400. We were very pleased as we paid $360 4 years ago.

Back