phone towers-devaluation-safety ?

Hi people

Has anyone had to look into phone towers ?

Recently I came across phone towers with a place I was looking at and so I investigated them a bit and decided to pass, it was too close .
There'd been 6 tests all over the world on people living within 3 -500 mtrs of phone towers and the results were startling , how the are even permitted is just mind boggling to me from what I've read but .
A few days ago another place came up , yet another tower down road but this one is 750 mtrs away and mostly blocked by bush , which apparently helps a lot . There was a real 500 mtr and under thing in everything I've read but from what I could tell , over 500 mtrs , especially with bush in between , brick houses also for example , they haven't really been a worry- from what I can tell.
Mind you a couple of tests recommended living at least 2 or 3 k away from them, that'd obviously be the better solution all round but once you start finding out where they are it's easier said than done these days believe me . A lot of areas are sitting in the middle of phone tower triangles even , I've been amazed .

Has anyone else looked into them at all - what was your conclusions ?
Also have you seen any property devaluation through phone towers or found they are harder to sell ?

Cheers

Has anyone else looked into them at all - what was your conclusions ?
Yes, the jury is still out on the effects - but whether safe or not, the uncertainty means people just are not interested. If we find them close by - we just move on to the next property.

Also have you seen any property devaluation through phone towers or found they are harder to sell ?
Harder to sell certainly.

As I said to another SS'er recently:
Don’t you like your goldfish with 3 eyes?

Attachments

• 3eyefish.jpeg
    3eyefish.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 72
A bit like those high tension overhead power lines - stand under those and you can hear the humming and the hairs on your arms stand on end.

There is simply not enough information and therefore something to be completely avoided.
Marg

be aware too that they can be disguised to look like palm trees etc for aesthetic purposes. I personally wouldn't buy near one. The telcos do offer huge amounts of money to the property owner to have it on their land. not enough though to compensate for neighbours wanting to kill you ! lol:eek:

The telcos do offer huge amounts of money to the property owner to have it on their land.

Joan - could you clarify what you mean by huge amounts ??

My experience with this issue, having been approached 3 times now, is not the same as you describe.....but then I don't know what you mean by "huge amounts".

I seen a small farm sold recently which had a tower on a hill about 300 metres behind the house. Top country, top location, river frontage and sold for what I believe to be about half it's value had the tower not been there.

I was naturally expecting a price reduction but was quite surprised at just how much it was devalued. Especially considering it was a small farm, not just a house.

RC

A British artist placed 1,300 fluorescent tubes in a field directly below high voltage power lines. Although the tubes aren’t connected to anything but the earth, they are fully illuminated because of this phenomenon, “Powerlines are typically 400,000 volts, and Earth is at an electrical potential of zero volts, pylons create electric fields..
richard-boxs-light-field1.jpg
image.png

The jury is still out on this one..imho..willair..

Humm , thanks for those . Doesn't look good , damn !

Though I must admit , this property is in a top spot , top value , sea views the lot and the price has come down heaps but still no takers.
Another one further down closer to the tower, it's a beautiful property to but it hasn't sold either. Wishful thinking I know but I was hoping it might be a coincidence, doesn't sound like it though does it.

Most of those tests have been done independently often by hospitals and doctors, studying people's health in the areas of towers rather than the towers themselves , although some have.
But the Communications people just won't be in it and just keep insisting all over the world the towers put out far less than the safety levels required bla bla but then they would wouldn't they .

Safest bet pass by the sounds of it .
Thanks people

Health issues aside, how much do the phone companies pay for the privilige of putting a tower on one's site? I plan to buy something in the bush and the health issues aren't relevant as there's nobody nearby. What kind of return would I get? How can I persuade a telco to do this?

Could be wrong, but I don think you can persuade them. If they need coverage in your area and your property happens to suit them - they'll approach you.

Health issues aside, how much do the phone companies pay for the privilige of putting a tower on one's site? I plan to buy something in the bush and the health issues aren't relevant as there's nobody nearby. What kind of return would I get? How can I persuade a telco to do this?
I have a mate who lives up on Mt Tambourine out the back of the Gold Coast on the side of the hill but up on the top of the mountain,about 9 years ago on Well Known Telco,not Telstra offered him 5 k per year
to install 2 small towers on the side face of the mountain, they cleared in the road built the small set-up and maintain the entry road,and also have access to the property when required not 100% sure of how many times they come each year, but as he said to me at the time,those towers pay for his rates-friday night drinks,and a few other items so to him it's not big problems, but he is on a very large parcel of land,it would be very different if they were at his back door..imho, btw the contract he has with them each 3 years the price goes up so for some it's a winner..willair..

Cheers

Observation: out of sight, out of mind..... depends on place

Most highrise CBD precinct apartments in Melbourne (CBD, Southbank, Docklands etc) either have mobile gear on top of them, or are in very close proximity to a building bristling with all sorts of comms gear. Never seen it come up for discussion :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Observation: out of sight, out of mind..... depends on place

Most highrise CBD precinct apartments in Melbourne (CBD, Southbank, Docklands etc) either have mobile gear on top of them, or are in very close proximity to a building bristling with all sorts of comms gear. Never seen it come up for discussion :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Very true. They're also dotted all over the suburbs and often not noticed unless you're actually looking for them. Case in point the servo across the road from us has one around the back and I didn't notice for about the first year I was going there.

I'd say a vast number of the population in big cities live within 500m of a tower, whether they're aware of it or not.

I'd say a vast number of the population in big cities live within 500m of a tower, whether they're aware of it or not.

Not only that, most workplaces where many people spend most of their time during the week, is probably within very close proximity to an antenna.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I live across from a electric substation - alot of people just don't notice it, until you point it out, and it doesn't appear to have affected house prices too much in the area. Still, I wouldn't want to hold an open house at night here, because the hummm at night is very loud. :)

Google , living within 1000 mtrs of phone towers, living near cell towers , whatever. I guarantee you'll be read out and very concerned for your self and your loved ones before you get to click to the 2nd search page .

These things are everywhere in the cities , most people are living within a few 100 meters of at least one but often 2 or 3. Often hidden or incorporated into buildings or rooftops, hospital roofs, 200 meters from your children's school, you name it .

The biggest concern is that they are much more dangerous for kids as softer bones, and women . In women one of the biggest concerns is breast cancer.

From what I've read I wouldn't be selling out and letting them install one on anything I owned for a few easy bucks.

Best check it out guys.
Cheers

Well , the place I had in mind is definitely off. Have spent the afternoon reading more .
It's not only us , it's also wildlife. The worlds bee population has for some reason disappeared by 30 % and dropping for example, in the last 10 yrs and they suspect the towers. Bee's help in 20-30 % of the worlds food.
Tested cows kept near towers stopped producing milk and went a bit gar gar.
Needless to say then that would pretty well cover most wildlife and so a bush block might keep them away from us but will damage other things.

Doctors everywhere are warning of tumor epidemics within the next few yrs .

Best steer well clear of those babies I'd say.

Back