Painting a metal garage tilt a door

I'm considering changing the colour of the sectional, tilting garage door on my ppor. It is about 15 years old, paintwork is ok but it is a boring faded doeskin colour and would look better if it was a fresh new colour. There are a series of windows across the topmost section and they have faded doeskin coloured plastic beading around each window. There is a slightly embossed faux wood grain imprinted on the metal.

Just need a bit of advice from the experienced painters out there in SS land.

Can it be painted with an acylic exterior gloss or must I use oil based exterior gloss paint? The paintwork is intact , a bit dull but no peeling so do I really still need to sand it?

Could I use a brush to apply paint or must it be sprayed? The 'fascia' surrounds of the door are metal colourbond and would also need to be painted.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Tizzy,
Give it a really good degrease, wash & scrub down. Then apply one of the penetrol products suited to the material you're painting. As for the painting itself, personally I'd spray but you can get away with a brush using Floetrol acrylic paint conditioner (via same link above).

Have fun.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Not quite the tilt a door but we painted 2 rolla doors, the older style ones, just gave them a good clean with the high pressure cleaner and then painted them with a exterior semi-gloss water based acrylic, with a big brush.

The trick with the older rolla doors is to roll them up and paint from the inside, once the door is on the ground walk around to the front and finish off the bottom bit, why this way? I'm glad you asked, if you start from the other end you can't paint the very top that gets rolled up.

Spraying them would give an even better finish but we don't have a nice spray unit. The brush finish is OK and slate grey is better than green. You can see brush strokes but the overall impact is much better.

Cheers
Graeme

Thanks to both of you for your input. The more I look at it the bigger the job is getting. :(

I guess the door really should be taken down to do it properly, but it will make doing the edges of each section very hard unless I completely separate them from each other.

I think I'll see if there is someone who picks them up and takes them away to respray. A new door must cost $4000-$5000 so would be worth renovating.

Back