NSW Granny flat approval in 10 days

The NSW Government in an effort to tackle the severe housing shortage has introduced measures to make granny flats, easier and faster to build.

This policy will help families by:

• Allowing your granny flat to be approved as complying development in 10 days.

• Allowing you to build a granny flat in all residential zones.

• Setting clear standards for the construction of your granny flat.

The following guide provides useful info.

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/plansforaction/pdf/Affordable Housing_Fact_Granny Flats.pdf

That's interesting BV. Wonder whether the same will apply in VIC.

When I was inquiring with Melton Council about building a granny flat I was
told that granny flats should not be considered permanent structures.

Is this the understanding across the board ?

Thanks,
Amelia

When I was inquiring with Melton Council about building a granny flat I was
told that granny flats should not be considered permanent structures.

Is this the understanding across the board ?

Thanks,
Amelia

Amelia

No that's not the case here.
If you read the guide it even talks about modifying part of an existing house.

I came across it because I am looking to increase the yields on my IP's.

1 will be done by separating a section of the house and adding a kitchen
and the 2nd will probably be a small kit home

Legal granny flats

This has been the case in pittwater for a while now.I have a friend who is building these attached or de-tached flats.There's a guidelines but a very good yeild is possible for the capital outlay.

The NSW Government in an effort to tackle the severe housing shortage has introduced measures to make granny flats, easier and faster to build.

• Setting clear standards for the construction of your granny flat.

The following guide provides useful info.

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/plansforaction/pdf/Affordable Housing_Fact_Granny Flats.pdf

This policy will help families

This is the bit that that needs to be checked, as it used to be that granny flats could be only for family members.

I'm certainly not trying to put a dampener on on it, and I doubt their going to DNA granny....just something that may need checking.:)

This is the bit that that needs to be checked, as it used to be that granny flats could be only for family members.

I'm certainly not trying to put a dampener on on it, and I doubt their going to DNA granny....just something that may need checking.:)

Maybe the case for VIC, but we are talking about NSW. The wording in the first page says "These secondary dwellings also give families the chance to use a Granny Flat as a source of additional income in these challenging economic times".

Sounds good to me. :D

The wording in the first page says "These secondary dwellings also give families the chance to use a Granny Flat as a source of additional income in these challenging economic times".

Sounds good to me. :D

And that's good enough for me too:) Unfortunately I dont have anything I could put one in at this time as what I have left is still conventionally dual occ.able;)

This changes everything :). Thanks Bill.

This changes everything :). Thanks Bill.

Agreed. And not only that but for those D&G people or even those realists who worry about impending interest rate rises, this could be a saviour :p

Most new 1brm g/flats in SYD would yield at least $200 - $240 per week for an outlay of < $50K construction costs if constructing a separate building. Woo Hoo! Pretty damn good return.

Gotta 650sq house at Campbelltown that would do nicely with a granny flat in the back yard... currently a workshop there, along with plumbing already done... gotta love that....

extra at least 180 a week there easily....

Can you have the granny flat running on seperate water and electricity meters, or does this then fall into dual oc? Also can you divide/fence off the granny flat from the main house?

Can you have the granny flat running on seperate electricity meter
I'm certain you can. This is nothing to do with a council. For instance if you just had a 3 car shed out the back of a regular suburban house and you wanted a separate electricity account for the consumption out there to see what you spend on your hobby - and some people do - there is no impediment in getting an extra electricity meter installed for this. So I don't see why a g/flat would be any different. The g/falt will in all likelihood have a separate sub-board installed in any event.

and water meters,
This is a council issue. The easiest way to cope with water consumption in a g/flat is to have a plumber install a 'flow' meter in the line to the g/flat. That way you can just take a reading and do the calculations for % split of the bill. Or just hike the rent to include your best guess.

or does this then fall into dual oc?
No

Also can you divide/fence off the granny flat from the main house?
You can fence of any part of your own yard for any reason you like. You put a fence up to fence in a chook pen (if you have one) or a pool fence or a vegetable garden fence. Granny flat seems no different to me.

A very quick side topic, I've been calling around since last week to find a knowledgable draftsperson to draw up plans and lodge the application for a granny flat in a property of mine (going ahead, not wasting any time).

Quotes for approval are circa:

- $1400 for draftsperson
- $1100 for surveyor
- $700-1400 for engineers if required
- $800 for Private certifier
- costs to lodge paperwork

Does anyone know if these charges are fair, particularly the $1400 for drafting and $1100 for the surveyor?

Back