Got me free insulation last week

Thanks Kev.

Bugger of a job for the installers - especially the poor bloke who had to do the long belly crawl into the end of the skillion. I said to him when he came out: 'You'd be wishing you paid more attention in school then?' He agreed.

I was mainly getting the insulation for the summer because I don't have air con (don't really need it where I live), but I was curious to see what difference it would make in the winter.

So for a month before getting the insulation in, I monitored the temp in the roofspace relative to the living space.

The insulation definately keeps the heat in during the afternoon and evening as expected. But I'm surprised that in the morning the temp of the living space relative to the roof space has increased by 2 degrees. Having a warmer house in the morning is something I wasn't expecting.

Scott

Great to know the insulation was free and works well, I'll be getting mine done soon, just running some more wire first...

but...I think the following was really slack to say to him. *shrugs* not having a go at you, but you never know, maybe he tried his hardest, not everyone can do things academically well.

Thanks Kev.

I said to him when he came out: 'You'd be wishing you paid more attention in school then?' He agreed.

Nah, I had a few chats with him. He was a young bloke and he wasn't a dill. He was saying to one of the other blokes that crawling round in roofs wasn't something he wanted to do for much longer - I'd say he'll bail before summer. He told me he wanted to go to Tafe but wasn't sure what to do.

Was your insulation completely free, Depreciatior?

We got a quote from the same people you used and we had to pay $300 extra. Our house is pretty small - a tiny 3 bedroom so I was surprised the $1600 didn't cover it. Made me wish I had gotten organised before June 30 as the NSW govt had an extra $300 handout... oh well...

enjoy your freebie Depreciator! I would like to wangle some free stuff too but can't seem to hit any eligibility. they should hand out some Boost Juice vouchers and free personal training sessions for people that don't qualify for the other goodies!!

enjoy your freebie Depreciator! I would like to wangle some free stuff too but can't seem to hit any eligibility. they should hand out some Boost Juice vouchers and free personal training sessions for people that don't qualify for the other goodies!!

Would be interesting to know what % of households actually are eligible. Just checked out the criteria and there has to be no existing insulation in the house. My house is 59yo, but at some point in time (my guess would be at least 30+yrs) insulation was put in, even though it's pretty useless now - bloody hot and bloody cold in the seasons. But rules us out, oh well. :D

Ausprop, drop me a line when you're in Adelaide - I'll take you through a gym session.

Hey Steve, I bet there are people in a similar situation to you who have paid to get the old, ineffective insulation removed (and had the roofspace vacuumed at the same time) and then got new free stuff.

Auror, I had to tip in $150. But it a tough roof to work in. Having said that, I'd say the insulation guys are making more per job now than they ever have.

Hmm yeah that's true. I only have a tiny little manhole for them to get up into the roof... and all that crawling around in the ceiling, it's a tough job!

Story I read somewhere (I think in Weekend AFR) just a few days ago said how insulating companies will be scrutinised as quotes have doubled for some jobs courtesy of Krudds splash....it's all a rort...get it while ya can...;)

We got a quote for $1700 to get ours done ($1600 rebate) BUT he'd be doing it at the same time as taking the entire roof off, for which he wanted to charge $11000. Just a bit of double dipping there.

Total rip off, especially considering I had another quote for the same job sans insulation for $8000. This is a small house, about 90sqm all up.

The Cellulose is cheaper and most 3 bedders would get it for free. Batts on the other hand are more expensive and have to be laid compared to just sprayed in (cellulose).

I'm try to decide on which to get as we'll be around $300-$600 out of pocket with batts, depending on the company installing them. Spoke to a couple of contractors and they both stated I'd be able to find someone to install at $10 p/m but they both charged 12-14 p/m (guessing it depends on access to area).
I started a thread a few days back but didn't seem to get any feedback on the pros and cons between batts and the Cellulose.

In regards to the elligability, we have some crappy stuff in there at present but as long as we remove it prior to installation we will be elligible. No need to vacuum it, just as long as no more than 4-5 cm left up there. I've had this confirmed by 3 installers.

Regards
Steve

Yep, we were told the same as Steve.

Half of our house built in 1930s - it has insulation, but because tatty and under 5cm in width, we are getting the new stuff.
No extra charge either.

We've had to wait a few weeks to get them in to do it, though.

Caroline

I own mine in a company name. Inelligible. Considering my apartment is massively energy inefficient, I was looking to have it done at my own expense anyway, but prices and lead times are through the roof now.

Economy / Environment Fail.

Yeah have PM's on the job organising my free insulation installation . Thank you Mr Rudd :)

Me too, Rixter. Ain't it great?! :D
What's the scenario for IP's? I.e, how much of a rebate is there for landlords?

I heard it it $1000, is that correct. And.....is the $1000 (if that is the correct figure) payable upfront (with the additional payment) and then refunded back to you?

Wonder how long it takes to get money back.

Regards
Marty

I believe with IPs you only pay the amount over and above the $1000.

So, account is $1,150 and you pay $150 and the installer claims on the government for the $1000. At lease, this is my understanding.

I'm having fibreglass batts installed as recommended to me by the building inspector. Waiting for the quote to come in the mail. It will be well under the $1200 mark. yey so i dont have to chip in anything myself.

There is a 3 week waiting period. They have a lot of work on. It should be done before the tenant moves in mid december

:)

Back