PPoR reno

Most here have done one (or several), but many newbies haven't - a RENO.

Great fun, hey? :D:eek:

We have commenced the reno on our PPoR to get it ready for sale for the traditional end of year selling season down here on the Mornington peninsula which starts around the beginning of Dec - everyone looking for their new holiday house before the holidays start. Not much time left, and I am time-poor right now with the recent purchase of the new Tyre Centre business. Challenging.

So, I thought I'd run a thread about the project to give those who are about to embark, or thinking about embarking on such a venture to give an idea of what you're in/can be in for. This is our 4th reno.

Our plan is to spend around $50k on the renos, with the projected outcome of adding another $100k or more to it's value. Based on the sales in recent months and recent years, I believe this is very achievable. Our PPoR is currently worth around $650k, and similar style renoed houses have sold for up to $1 mill and above. Of course, it depends on the standard of the reno, the views, the location and the finance climate as well. Our expectation is to achieve around $800k. But we will be putting it on the market at $895k - in the middle of the range, but you never know who's out there with a spare million for a nice holiday house with views, and it's not over the top for what it will be after the renos are done.

I have to head off to the workshop now, but will post more details and photos later today.

I would have thought doing a $50K improvement to a PPOR, tends to place it in the owner builder category.

Gerd

Best of luck. I think that apart from Mornington, for a million $ your competition will also be the likes of Sorrento where a new house is achievable for that price. Does your place have views? Mate has a beach house in Mt Martha and their views are magnificant.

Best of luck. I think that apart from Mornington, for a million $ your competition will also be the likes of Sorrento where a new house is achievable for that price. Does your place have views? Mate has a beach house in Mt Martha and their views are magnificant.

There's no "competition" about this. Houses are worth what they are worth in a given pocket of the the Peninsula based on many varying factors.

$1 mill in Sorrento usually only gets you a decent house on a normal block and no views, maybe within a couple hundred yards of the beaches. One of my mates owns a house in Salonika st, Sorrento; about 100m from Pt. Nepean rd. Land was $400, and spent $450 on the house. No views.

Our house in Dromana has have excellent bay and city views, on a 1/3 acre, in a cul de sac, 2 levels, 4 bed, 3 bath, 2 ensuites, 2 living areas, dining area, bar, front and rear decks, 2 garages - one with internal access.

Here are 5 current comparables:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...er=&cc=&c=5713222&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1251545882

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...er=&cc=&c=5713222&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1251545882

Both Atunga houses and Keats rd are within 100 metres of our street, and have no garages.

Anyway, to fill in some details:

- extend the front deck outwards by 2 metres, new stainless steel and glass balustrade - cost: approx $19k
-Council Permits and Plans, cost approx $3k
- landscape entire front yard, retaining walls and plants - cost; approx $5k
- renovate all 3 bathrooms, retile, vanities etc - cost; approx $10k
- retile kitchen, back and front entry, cost; approx $1k (me tiling)
- re-carpet all 4 bedrooms - cost; approx $2k,
- new internal doors, front door & furniture - cost approx $3k
- repaint interior and exterior, cost; approx $1k for paint ( I am the painter :D:eek:)
- clad, render and paint second garage, fit and match new remote control garage door to it to match the one on the garage under the house, cost; approx $5k
- finish bar, cost approx $1k
- repolish boards throughout, cost; approx $2k
- various other unforseen contingencies - waste removal, extra lights, equipment hire and supplies etc, cost; allow $5k.

Total expected worst-case scenario $57k.

I've already commenced gutting the bathrooms and patching wall holes ready for sanding, and the carpenter has begun hanging the new doors.

I would attach some pics, but they are all above 1mb - does anyone know how to get around this?

You can resave the photo's, using any picture editing program, even just right click and edit, which loads the pic in mspaint and will do the job quickly & easily - there's no quality setting to find, just choose save as .jpg, low quality/small file size is default.

Don't forget to give the pics a new name, such as putting an s for small on the end or whatever, so you don't overwrite your original pics.

Congrats on having that house in Dromana btw :)

The renos sound good! I also got ss and glass ballustrade at my ppor at a cost of 25k. 12k alone for the glass with 1700 obscure on the side. Looks brilliant and worth every cent imho.

You will have it on the market at the perfect time!

You can resave the photo's, using any picture editing program, even just right click and edit, which loads the pic in mspaint and will do the job quickly & easily - there's no quality setting to find, just choose save as .jpg, low quality/small file size is default.

Don't forget to give the pics a new name, such as putting an s for small on the end or whatever, so you don't overwrite your original pics.

Congrats on having that house in Dromana btw :)

I must be doing something wrong Vincenzo; I right clicked on the image, clicked on Edit, clicked on Save As, changed the name and shortened it and then saved it and it still saved as over 1mb. Was there another step I missed?

I would attach some pics, but they are all above 1mb - does anyone know how to get around this?
I like the free image resizer at http://www.pedroliska.com/. :)

The reno sounds terrific, Marc. If you're living in the house whilst all this is being done, I take my hat off to you. We're doing a comparable scale reno at the moment, and I'm very grateful that we're not living on site. And you're also getting the tyre centre going and painting the house - you're a legend!

I must be doing something wrong Vincenzo; I right clicked on the image, clicked on Edit, clicked on Save As, changed the name and shortened it and then saved it and it still saved as over 1mb. Was there another step I missed?

Ozperp has a nice little link for ya, but you can do it in paint:

Just before clicking an image, when you hover over the image in it's folder, it's dimensions will be shown, in ___ x ___
I'm guessing they must be around ~3000 x ~2000, and you're also going to have to shrink the pics just before saving to get the filesize down further.

So right click, edit.

Then choose image, stretch/skew.

If your pics are approx 3000 x 2000, you can enter ~30% in both boxes for example, it depends how small you wanna go, but i wouldn't go much smaller just to keep the photo looking decent.

And then you can save as with the new filename.

You can also use paint to see the dimensions, by clicking image then attributes - but putting in smaller numbers here will crop/cut the image!

I just resize pictures in good old Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
1. open the picture
2. go to "edit pictures"
3. on the right hand menu go to "resize"
4. last option is "percentage of original height and width".

I usually choose 30% or 25%, then click on OK.

To keep original picture I then "save as" and use the same name with an "a" on the end so I have both the original and the smaller size.
Marg

I like the free image resizer at http://www.pedroliska.com/. :)

The reno sounds terrific, Marc. If you're living in the house whilst all this is being done, I take my hat off to you. We're doing a comparable scale reno at the moment, and I'm very grateful that we're not living on site. And you're also getting the tyre centre going and painting the house - you're a legend!

Thanks Tracey, and others for those instructions. I'll have another go at it later today when I get some time..

We aren't living in the house; it was tenanted while we were in the us, and they only moved out late July.

We leased a place to rent when we got back, which ends next May and had always planned to start the reno after they moved out and sell soon after, so there was no point moving back in.

I've been at the Tyre Centre almost a month now, and it's almost "systemised" to the point where I can step away a lot more and let the boys run it without me, so now I'll be free to really attack the reno.

I've been at the Tyre Centre almost a month now, and it's almost "systemised" to the point where I can step away a lot more and let the boys run it without me, so now I'll be free to really attack the reno.
Wow, that's amazing. Well done; I'm glad things have gone so smoothly and your staff seem so reliable. :)

- renovate all 3 bathrooms, retile, vanities etc - cost; approx $10k
- re-carpet all 4 bedrooms - cost; approx $2k,
- new internal doors, front door & furniture - cost approx $3k

Just as a heads up - you may want to include a little more for those listed above. With a good quality door to suit the era of the house I have had difficulty getting out of it for less than $500 each. That includes professional hanging at $90 a door - having hung doors ourselves in many renos I would never do it again, off on shave a bit oops too much etc.

I sourced interior decorators in the know about the latest trends for carpets - out with Sisal and in with Plush. Unless using seconds, offcuts from another job etc I would allow $40m2 for a high quality carpet. With a house at the value you are planning to achieve you need the valuer ( if revaluing) to appreciate the quality of the reno and so it seeems a plush carpet could contribute to this.

As for 3 bathrooms for $10k - wow impressive, but if you are doing all the work then possible, only issue is if you don't need any waterproofing which could be due to damage when pulling off old tiles - yep been there too.

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Have fun.

Jane

Just as a heads up - you may want to include a little more for those listed above. With a good quality door to suit the era of the house I have had difficulty getting out of it for less than $500 each. That includes professional hanging at $90 a door - having hung doors ourselves in many renos I would never do it again, off on shave a bit oops too much etc.
Yeah; been there and done that - never again. The chippy has already hung almost all doors since yesterday. I went there today and they looked great. The same job would have taken me a week and looked less professional.
$3k was the quote, including door furniture. A little perspective on all this; the chippy/builder is a close personal friend, so we are being looked after to a degree on lots of this stuff. The door furniture was allowing $35 per door, but we have spent $45. Sounds cheap, but you can achieve a very nice mod look without spending a fortune, and still get decent quality.
The front door was the dearest of course, and it's locks.

I sourced interior decorators in the know about the latest trends for carpets - out with Sisal and in with Plush. Unless using seconds, offcuts from another job etc I would allow $40m2 for a high quality carpet. With a house at the value you are planning to achieve you need the valuer ( if revaluing) to appreciate the quality of the reno and so it seems a plush carpet could contribute to this.
We are not revaluing - just selling, and it's based on comparables of the standard you mention.
Yep; based on an overall average of 4X4m per room, this works out to $2560 all up. I've allowed for worst-case in the extras of $5k, so this should cover it.

As for 3 bathrooms for $10k - wow impressive, but if you are doing all the work then possible, only issue is if you don't need any waterproofing which could be due to damage when pulling off old tiles - yep been there too.
The vanities will be around the $1k each on average, the tiles are dirt cheap - whole house will be around $1500, paint a few hundred, shower bases and screens a few K. call it $10k for worst case.
Of course;I don't factor in my time as a cost.

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Have fun.

Jane
Thanks Jane for the tips, and it IS fun!! (I kid myself!:eek:)

pics

Here's a few pics of the before stage:

Attachments

• 2 bath a.jpg
    2 bath a.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 263
  • 2nd bath 1.JPG
    2nd bath 1.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 2nd bath 2.JPG
    2nd bath 2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 238