Building a Granny Flat

After reviewing my investment property, im starting to think its not going to be possible to build a 2nd house (detached) while still retaining the old one.

So im thinking of building a 2 bedder granny flat instead (and market that as a house as im on a corner block and the granny flat would have its own street frontage).

After some googling, I've stumbled across these builders.

http://www.grannyflatsaustralia.com.au/contact-granny-flats-sydney-nsw-australia.html

Main thing that appeals to me is that they are located in Parramatta, so im hoping they would have a bit more knowledge about how Parramatta's council DCP rules work.

So does anyone know or have used these guys before? Any feedback would be good. Send me a private message if do not wish to post it on forum.

Thanks!

Always get at least 3 quotes for the job. And ask to see their work from previous recent jobs.
If you can get real plans drawn up of what you want by an engineering/building company and then have builders quote on these plans, you will compare apples with apples.

JB

The current way the land is laid out, it is a corner block and I have a house a front.

Right at the back of the piece of land is the garage.

Ideally I would like to knock down the existing garage (because it looks crap and is dirty) and rebuild it, but join it to the actual granny flat im planning to build.

Also the existing garage is about 7.6m x 3.5m, I would like to increase this to about 9m x 3.5m so that I can house two cars instead of 1 car + storage.

Do you think the council will let me do this?

Attachments

• land-layout.jpg
    land-layout.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 386
Call your local council is it Parramatta? anyway most councils have people there to answer such questions, its surprising what information you can get from these places if you direct your questions at the right people.

GF's been made easier to build by the NSW government planing scheme and try calling certifies listed on the http://www.bpb.nsw.gov.au/ website they can give you advice on these matters.

Ian

Given a granny flat has a maximum floor space of 60sqm, im trying to work out the best possible design so that people walk in, it doesnt feel like a tiny cramped house.

Exterior Wall - Cladding vs Brick
Thiner than brick, therefore the internal dimensions can be slightly larger. I was told using brick over cladding results in a loss of 5sqm to 10sqm.
Cost wise cladding is also cheaper (approx $5000 cheaper)

However from a renter prespective, what do you think is more attractive? Brick house but smaller interior, or clad house with bigger interior. Yes i know on paper it seems minor, but it never ceases to amaze me how an extra 30cm in a room makes it seem so much bigger (especially when in empty rooms).

From a resale/valuation point of view, if i decided to brick the house would i actually get more for it? (Not that im planning to sell in the near future anyway... if at all, but i dont want to sell myself short).

Bedroom sizes
What size bedroom is considered to be big enough. Im thinking 3m x 3.4m (and built ins are in addition to this space) so its a full 3m x 3.4m.

Living Room size
Open plan with Lounge probably 5.5m x 3.4m

Bathroom
Either 1.8m x 1.8m with those tiny corner showers or 1.5m x 2.4 with a piece of glass from wall to wall for the shower (giving a shower space of 0.8m x 1.5m)

Laundry
Ill find some nook and stick the washing machine in there (a bit like the newer units that put the laundry in a cupboard as opposed a full size laundry). The laundry tub ill put outside under an undercover area.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the interesting link to that granny flat builder in Parra. I'm looking to do exactly what you're doing. Do you know if areas like the deck and garage/carport actually count towards the 60sqm limit? Also, are you looking to put in two smaller bedrooms or one larger bedroom?

From what I understand, the deck and carports do not count towards the 60sqm as its not enclosed.

The garage however might if it were to be tacked onto the granny flat.

I do have an existing garage so it provided i dont touch it, then its fine, however my ideal plan is to somehow join it to the house, but i guess that will then depend on council.

To maximise rent im looking at putting in two bedrooms but I am conscious of making the rooms too small, hence why im aiming for 3x3.4. Ive been in rooms that are 2.8~2.9m wide. Its amazing how much smaller an extra 10cm to 20cm makes.

As for the living area, im trying to design it in a way it fully opens out into a deck/veranda, this way it feels bigger, but the deck doesnt count towards the 60sqm.

As for the living area, im trying to design it in a way it fully opens out into a deck/veranda, this way it feels bigger, but the deck doesnt count towards the 60sqm.

Have you thought about going for a higher ceiling to create an illusion of more space?

Mine is 48.5 sqm. 2br, with open plan kitchen/living. The second br might not take a double bed, not sure.

I dont know what the regulations are in NSW, or if they are regularly enforced. Here in the ACT they would not allow a Washing machine in the Bathroom, so I put it in anyway. :p

Tenants aren't complaining. :D

If I may ask

Hi Pedro

I know it probably won't mean much here ( sydney) , but what rent are you getting for it ,

if I maybe so bold to ask ?

stuart

nek
Have they sent you a price list?
cheers

Prices range from $70k~$85k depending on design and that includes everything.

But they have a disclaimer saying "Based on a level land" or something along those lines.

Going to meet with the guy next week on site and he'll draft something up for me then. I'll post it up as soon as I get some more info.

Granny Flat designs

Hi all,

Here are some designs (well variations of the same design) for my proposed granny flat.

Size is 59.95 sqm (from external wall to external wall), just under the 60sqm.

The walls are 100mm thick (interior and exterior). I based this off the designs I received from one of the builders.

Im planning to go for 2.7m height as opposed to 2.4m.

Please let me know what you guys think, im after as much feedback as possible (more negative is better :))

Last edited:
nek

Location of kitchen is lousy. :(:It should be adjacent to the dining/living area and will also make both the kitchen and living/ding areas feel more spacious.

nb: At the moment you need to go into the kitchen to go into the bathroom or toilet:eek:!!!!

Also suggest you reconfigure to have an ensuite with second door.

Laundry could either go into the bathroom to make large or incorporate into kitchen.

Its what I would want if I was a granny!:D

Joe, which layout are you referring to? Type 1 or all 3 of them? Because Layout 2 and 3 both open into the living / dining area (well at least i think they do).

Ive done a quick drawing, is type 4 what you are referring to about the kitchen opening up?

As for ensuite, there is no ensuite or do you mean reconfigure the location of the toliet so that there is a 2nd door to the toilet so that it can be used as a ensuite?

Also its not designed for a granny. The plans are to let this out as a separate house. Its going on a corner block so it has its own street frontage.

Attachments

• Granny Flat.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 967
Back