http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62300&highlight=Townsville

Jasa is not doing too well in Cairns
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61688&highlight=Cairns

Stephen is having trouble renting in Clontarf
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62459&highlight=clontarf

Neaka is also having trouble
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62476&highlight=sunshine+coast

Urbanprospector says
no shortage in perth market flooded with rentals .
so rents here wont be going up any time soon .. page ads of rentals in local rags .. for lease signs on many houses .. flood of ads on notice boards.

And there are others.

I recently had trouble getting a tenant into 1 of my property in western sydney aswell.

Approximately took about 6 weeks.

Luckily I had LL insurance and the tenant had broken lease it did not affect me financially.

I recently had trouble getting a tenant into 1 of my property in western sydney aswell.

Approximately took about 6 weeks.

Luckily I had LL insurance and the tenant had broken lease it did not affect me financially.

You shouldn't have had a problem in Western Sydney. The market is still tight and my rents are still going up. Things are running out the door as soon as listed. Maybe the PM knew you were fine financially and put it on the backburner, or you were asking too much in rent.

I believe the bubble theory but you get attacked for saying that out loud here so let's just say I have no opinion. Merely making note.

Thanks for that...

I think I need to see a stronger evidence than just a handful of posts., but now that you mentioned, I've seen a property in 2747 for rent since I moved here (6 weeks ago)... will check it out again this week..

So, the trend is that there is an oversupply of rentals in QLD and Perth.
I had noticed that. SOME of the problems in these states will be exacerbated by the Super Tax which will definitely slow them down. So do you think there will cross-border infection? I expect so but don't know enough about the southern states to make meaningful comment.

the business i am involved in operates at the early stages of mining activity. i can tell you it is nuts and we have a full order book till mid next year now (after nearly shuttign the doors a year ago). the mining boom is alive and well and supply excesses have been rapidly absorbed. i believe the actual mining boom itself will take a while to kick in tho

how this translates to housing is the next question

You shouldn't have had a problem in Western Sydney. The market is still tight and my rents are still going up. Things are running out the door as soon as listed. Maybe the PM knew you were fine financially and put it on the backburner, or you were asking too much in rent.

I dont think the PM was slack as they did have a lot of people go through the property but decided to rent elsewhere.

I think the main reason was because it has an external laundry which is coin operated.

Thanks for that...

I think I need to see a stronger evidence than just a handful of posts., but now that you mentioned, I've seen a property in 2747 for rent since I moved here (6 weeks ago)... will check it out again this week..

Kingswood/Werrington, right?

It should have been snapped up unless they are asking too much for it, or it is really crappy, or the Agent is useless, or it has feral neighbours.

Can you post a link?

Ausprop:
the business i am involved in operates at the early stages of mining activity.

Does this mean your clients are in the early exploration and development phases or something else? And was the enthusiasm developed before the tax and likely to be effected by it?

This is of interest to me and my "mining shares". :)

I had noted recently that there's not much rental stock on the market in some of the cheapest areas of Perth. Mid to high end seems to have a fair few vacancies...

Hedland and K-town are still up there...

I noticed that proliferation of posts too, Thommo.

A house I walk past on the way to the train station has had a 'for lease' sign on it for two weeks. Unheard of in the inner west. They're asking $635pw for a pretty basic three bedder, which is probably a bit much.

If we've got a growing housing shortage, why are rental vacancies the same or higher now than in 2006?

Canberra below
Brisbane
Adelaide
Perth

canberra%20vacancies.gif

Ausprop:

Does this mean your clients are in the early exploration and development phases

yes

And was the enthusiasm developed before the tax and likely to be effected by it?

i thought it may have been crimped, even killed our business, but the take up has not slowed in the slightest. it really is huge

whislt i dont agree with the respect tax, krudd may actually have done a smart thing. i think the enormity of the resources boom may have swamped us all, so instead of taxing the populice thru IRs he has taxed minign co's and achieved a slowdown without hurting working families

in perth, it's very hard to get a quality rental. there's plenty on the market, but seriously, gen y would rather stay home than pay money to rent them.

new product still renting very well and for good prices because it's desirable.

Back