Whats your investment strategy?

Hi,

I am new and on a steep learning curve trying to find the right investment path to go down. Sometimes it is hard not to get information over load and get lost in all the information out there, so I was wondering if anyone would care to share;

1) Your strategy and why (eg pos gearing, neg gearing, pos cash flow etc)

2) Your research strategy for choosing area's to buy in.

Mnay thanks :)

Nat, do you understand the relationship between positive gearing, negative gearing and positive / negative cashflow? For example, are you aware that cashflow can be positive even though a property is negatively geared?

Choices come with resources and knowledge. Most people starting out don't have much of either, which is normal. Maybe focus on the basics (type of loan, the actual buying process) and tailoring the strategy to your resources (budget, borrowing capacity, etc)?

There is no 'right' investment path. However, if you get so many answers you don't end up doing anything because you can't find a 'good' investment, you're not going to get anything.

Choose an area based on your budget, and actually go out there and inspect a few properties. Talk to banks and brokers and compare their advice. Attend auctions to see what the process is like. Call some agents with rental queries and see what the rental market is like in an area. Drive around and see what sort of properties are available, and how the numbers work.

Hi nat7878,

I feel comfortable with buying in proven blue chip performing suburbs. I'm after capital gains over cash flow. However, now I have a few properties negatively geared (also one fully paid off which helps :D) I'll be looking to diversify & possibly find a more cash flow positive one.

I've bought in 2 states so far (Vic & Qld) & prefer the eastern states over SA & WA...purely personal preference. Allows us to spread the risk if one states' market is not performing as well as anothers' at any given time.

I believe capital gains will earn us far more money over the long term & allow us to borrow more quickly to buy next property than positive cash flow properties eg capital gain on $300k possibly 10% = 30K in a year as opposed to $10K from rental income. Obviuosly cash flow & capital gains is the ideal scenario.

I feel comfortable buying only inner city (no more than 15kms from cbd) flats/apartments as I believe our demographics are leaning more towards households that are either downsizing or consist singles & childless couples. Also the scarcity factor of inner city land & dwellings makes them more sought after than outlying areas.

I also favour purchasing something older & never buying OTP (off the plan). I can add value to it by doing a cheap makeover & instantly increase the value. Small number in the block (less than 15 or 20) with OSP (off st parking), over 50m2 preferably with balcony or courtyard, never on a main rd.

Hope this helps & looking forward to seeing others' strategies too :)

Regards,
M&M

Hi,

I am new and on a steep learning curve trying to find the right investment path to go down. Sometimes it is hard not to get information over load and get lost in all the information out there, so I was wondering if anyone would care to share;

CASHFLOW CASHFLOW CASHFLOW CASHFLOW CASHFLOW.

generate as much of this as i can, pay down all debt.

use said cashflow to fund growth assets.

bye bye banks.

Have previously done negative gearing, I don't won't to do it again unless offset against positive.

1)Develop for cashflow - keep properties - positively geared - good depreciation
2)Purchase older, neg geared property for growth - sell when it doubles in value to pay off debt on one existing investment property - timing the market
3)Sell PPOR when worth "X" amount, pay off debts on 4 other properties. Retire in one of the rentals

Last edited:
Hi,

Nat7878, this is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the share market. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis as fast and as quickly as you can reasonably afford.

I've basically been purchasing an IP per year. Currently we're into year 9 of this 10 year plan and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash Depreciative deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I prefer to purchase Townhouses & Villas with a 30% or greater land component thereby eliminating multi story units or high rise apartments, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Baby boomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cash flow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies and uplifts the area. People like the appearance / feel so move in creating demand.

I have found this lends very well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against to build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with in your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cash flow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systematically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. Infact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have.

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that’s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it’s a self perpetuating source of tax free income indexed for life!

If you require any clarifications just ask.

Last edited:
Hi Rixter,

There are only 2 issues, I see, with your strategy baring a lack of capital growth.

1. If you redraw to purchase property along the way then some equity is used earlier but it should only be 20% of what is available. Also the lend when redrawing may only be 80% max or less which only allows access to part of the remaining equity.

2. Getting finance. I would have thought pure equity lends where dead these days.

Anyway if all else fails holding ten properties after ten years is an attractive proposition no matter which way you slice it and you could always sell some to pay off some if finance cant be achieved.

Then again in ten years time they may be throwing money at us again.

MJK:D

1. If you redraw to purchase property along the way then some equity is used earlier but it should only be 20% of what is available.

What if you use other asset/s as security for deposit/s? eg. PPOR ;)

2. Getting finance. I would have thought pure equity lends where dead these days.

There's more ways than payg income to skin a cat - some as mentioned in the above post.

Then again in ten years time they may be throwing money at us again.

Yep, who knows what things will be like in 10 year times. If it was of concern to me I wouldn't have bought in the first place. The financial risks of doing nothing are far greater.

Last edited:
Nat, do you understand the relationship between positive gearing, negative gearing and positive / negative cashflow? For example, are you aware that cashflow can be positive even though a property is negatively geared?

Choices come with resources and knowledge. Most people starting out don't have much of either, which is normal. Maybe focus on the basics (type of loan, the actual buying process) and tailoring the strategy to your resources (budget, borrowing capacity, etc)?

There is no 'right' investment path. However, if you get so many answers you don't end up doing anything because you can't find a 'good' investment, you're not going to get anything.

Choose an area based on your budget, and actually go out there and inspect a few properties. Talk to banks and brokers and compare their advice. Attend auctions to see what the process is like. Call some agents with rental queries and see what the rental market is like in an area. Drive around and see what sort of properties are available, and how the numbers work.

This is a good post from Alex.

My strategy: accumulate good quality assets, for both income and growth, over X amount of years.

- Proportion of income to growth assets will vary with circumstances.

- "X" will vary with circumstances.

my strategy is to slowly (no rush here) aquire about 5 different properties (the number is negotiable) that will provide decent rental income, which once all debt is paid off will support/ fund my retirement. It is essentially a buy and hold strategy.

I have no hard and fast rules, and refuse to rule anything out. The properties I acquire will depend on my financial capabilities and resources at the time. I will likely aime for a mix of negatively geared properties and positively geared. Don't mind putting my own money in to support and service debts. Capital growth is good, but I would buy positively geared properties with very little capital growth potiential if the rental income was good and the property itself in good condition requiring little work. Any capital growth is good and would be put to use buying the next property, but if there is no/little growth it just means waiting a little longer and tipping in more of our own cash.

Our first IP (still in construction) will be negatively geared - but that actually works well with DH's income. And being a brand new property, will suit us better, as we never intend to sell. With the way rents are climbing in Canberra it will likely be neutrally geared even sooner then we anticipated.

As for location, again we have no hard and fast rules. I always wanted to own a block of flats/units in Armidale. Very nearly got some just over a year ago, but got outbid. This IP we are building is in Canberra. Our only real requirement is that it is a good rental market, everything else is negotiatable.

We haven't ruled out getting into commercial property, but don't want to make that leap yet.

Our strategy is very fluid, and very conservative. But then I am naturally a very risk adverse person and I have time on my side. I am only 28yrs old and don't plan on retirement for sometime. Creating future wealth and researching property is a bit like a hobby. I enjoy doing it much as I imagine some people like fixing up old cars or doing jigsaw puzzles. :)

MJK - We drew the equity out of our PPOR up to 90% (ING). Things may have tightened up a bit since then?? But as with anything it is just about finding the right lender.

if they were then it would point to bigger, underlying issues again.

It's only the nomenclature that will need changing.............they will have another word for ponzi and smoke & mirrors derivatives products and NINJA loans packaged as investments :rolleyes:

There will another generation coming from behind that will be sucked in again and so the cycle will continue :cool:

We don't have a strategy as we weren't planning to be property investors. Sort of have one now. It involves as little debt as possible and as much income as possible. Thwarted, of course, by inability to dispose of my last house, although at least it pays for my current one.

I'd really like to build a new house every couple of years though, either standalone on existing land or get subdivisible blocks and build two. No rush. I like houses, they're fun to play with.

Hi,

hi , as you are starting out i would go for cg so you can minimize debt on your ppor. Once you have achieved that goal you can look at cash flow. there are so many ways to do it as long as you are commited to using your disposable income wisely. Good luck

Our strategy involves purchasing a property every 3 years. By year 15 we will have 5 properties. Sell number one and buy number six. Repeat.

This gives us 15 years of growth every 3 years. If anyone is interested in more details, see my lazy person guide in my sig.

So far we are ahead of schedule as we have actually purchased number 6 earlier this year and only in year 12. Maybe we will get to 10 before we start selling.

I like reasonably new units (less than 5 years old) in capital cities. That being said, we have a factory in melbourne and a unit in kalgoorlie. Its good to be flexible.

Back