Brighton and Toorak of Brisbane?

I would say Hamilton (on the hill) and Ascot.

There are other great, and expensive suburbs, but for 1930's glamour, I would pick these two.

And parts of New Farm, too.

Last edited:
Geographically, there is no analogue.

Maybe you mean relative to the type of people who inhabit Toorak and Brighton, in which case can you define those types?

Laurel Ave. Chelmer

For "tradition" certainly Hamilton, Ascot.
If I had to go back there to live ( perish the thought!) "around Laurel Ave. Chelmer" would be the place. Old Queenslanders, big blocks, some down to the river, shady trees, very quiet, no through roads, train station, good access to city, good access to Shoppingtown, easy drive to Qld. Uni. etc etc. Noice !
LL

This might not make sense. Bt with the richer suburbs wouldnt it bet better to buy as close as possible to them in a cash bracket you can afford? Bulimba was a rich area then all of a sudden it extended to Carindale, Mt Gravatt and Out wards all those suburbs grew in price as they were closest to Bulimba?

Does this sort of strategy work?

This might not make sense. Bt with the richer suburbs wouldnt it bet better to buy as close as possible to them in a cash bracket you can afford? Bulimba was a rich area then all of a sudden it extended to Carindale, Mt Gravatt and Out wards all those suburbs grew in price as they were closest to Bulimba?

Does this sort of strategy work?

Kind of right Joyce. When you can't afford a hot affluent area, you buy the adjacent burbs, and wait from 6 mths to 6 years for the trickle out effect.
Mt Gravatt and Carindale are too far away from Bulimba to have been influenced by the latter's cg. Mt Gravatt had a bit of a boost from its rezoning to satellite commercial hub. Carindale has always had a fair share of big brick homes on reasonable sized lots close to a good shopping precinct and not too far from the cbd.

Kind of right Joyce. When you can't afford a hot affluent area, you buy the adjacent burbs, and wait from 6 mths to 6 years for the trickle out effect.
Mt Gravatt and Carindale are too far away from Bulimba to have been influenced by the latter's cg. Mt Gravatt had a bit of a boost from its rezoning to satellite commercial hub. Carindale has always had a fair share of big brick homes on reasonable sized lots close to a good shopping precinct and not too far from the cbd.

WW is right, Carindale is a fair distance from Bulimba.

Hawthorne river avenues is the top blue chip locale in the area (and perhaps the south side of Brisbane?). That trickes out to Bulimba (mainly south of Oxford St), Norman Park riverside/poets corner, some parts of Balmoral, etc.

I've always found it strange that you then take a little jump over Coorparoo to get out to Camp Hill Martha St area for the next blue chip spot. I guess the elevation has something to do with it. :)

Don't forget Coorparoo's Letchworth Road/Welwyn Crescent, and Beuna Vista Avenue.

These are little pockets of expensive, exclusive housing, and I suppose Ascot and Hamilton also have their "ordinary" houses too.

If I was a rich buyer in Brisbane, I would pick Brookfield, or Pullenvale. Nice big acreage blocks, to park the Kenmore tractors on.

Lisk St, Pullenvale is just divine, but not very well known (out on acreage)

Laurel Ave, Chelmer

Parts of St Lucia, esp golf course precinct

Hamilton and Ascot - don't know it well enough to narrow down

Parts of Auchenflower/Paddington/Bardon

East Brisbane/Norman Park/Hawthorne/Bulimba

Fig Tree Pocket, esp Jesmond Rd, and adjacent portions of Indooroopilly (Long Pocket area)

Newstead/Teneriffe/New Farm

Id probably remove the prefix "parts of" and say all of Paddington - a particularly nice affluent suburb to rival Hamilton and Ascot.

Id also add Rosalie to the list.

I didn't even know it was called Toorak House. :eek: I see that it's privately owned; does anybody know who lives there presently?
Same owners who bought it in 1995, can go into more detail but won't in a public forum.

Unimproved value of the land is 12M :)

Back