Gladstone

Hello all!

Just signed up today and enjoying the reading whilst sitting here at work.

very vague question in regards to gladstone, i have been reading about the place alot lately.......Why is this such a good place to invest? Or is it not?

Cheers,
Simon

Heres a whole bunch of reasons why:

Gladstone is not just a mining boom-town or even an infrastructure boom; it is a super-infrastructure boom of mammoth proportions never seen before in Australia or even globally.

The Gladstone region is undoubtedly the hottest investment area in the country right now. Population is expected to rise from 60,000 to 96,000 within the next few years driven from the massive infrastructure projects currently underway, and property supply and vacancy rates already at all time lows.

Analysts are already comparing Gladstone with Western Australian mining towns like Port Headland. Back in 2003 astute investors snapped up 4 bedroom homes for $210,000 to $250,000 in the Pilbara region which now fetch between $950,000 and $1.2Million - as a quick search on www.realestate.com.au confirms.

The Gladstone region is experiencing similar dynamics which were responsible for this stratospheric growth in Western Australian but on a much larger scale.

Gladstone is already a 'proven' infrastructure town operating as one of Australia's largest coal exporting ports, hosting the worlds largest Aluminium refinery and Australia's largest alumina smelter. Notably back in 2003-04 property prices increased by 18-20% (following the arrival of 1500 workers for Rio Tinto's Yarwan Stage 1 alumina refinery) and 27% in 2008 (when over $15 Billion worth of infrastructure projects were announced) - based on published figures from property research firm Residex.

If this growth was the result of a 'small' $1.5Billion project in 2003 with 1500 workers, what is going to happen when the massive $35Billion Australia Pacific LNG project with 4000 workers comes to town? Or British Gas' $8.0Billion Qld Curtis LNG project with a peak workforce of 3,600? Or Santos $7.7 Billion Gladstone LNG project with another 3000 workers?

This is on top of other projects already approved and underway such as Rio Tinto's Stage 2 Yarwan expansion - $2.5bn with 2,200 workforce. Or the $5.0bn Gladstone Pacific Nickel project and its 2000 workers. And a further $3.4bn in new coal projects. The Queensland Government predicts the household growth in the Gladstone region will increase 76% by 2026.

I bought in Karratha 5 years ago and I bought in Gladstone 5 months ago. I expect no less than the same results in 5 years.

Last edited:
The Gladstone region is undoubtedly the hottest investment area in the country right now. Population is expected to rise from 60,000 to 96,000

with respect tony:

I live and work in the area as well, without being a know all i could cut your post to shreads...you are putting spin on gladstone that is such an overkill

many of those workers will go from project to project.

one glaring observation

Where the hell did you get 60000 punters actually living in happy rocks from? not even close mate...........

And saying it will increase to 96000 in a few years is just plain rubbish..that is so untrue...for a start they dont have the infrastructure to increase by 50% or so nor the land developed. I challenge any medium size town to increase its population by 50% within a few years......way too difficult these days with regulations in place.

Most workers coming in will be short termers

Without question there are nowhere near 60000 people living in gladstone.if there is then there are 300000 in rockhampton which there isnt) Rocky citys population is not much more than 60000 and rocky is far far larger than happy rocks

Personally i would not buy in gladstone at this point in time, for sure they maybe a bit more in the place profit wise when selling for a while but the cream is gone in my opinion to be safe...better buying elsewhere or sitting on the sidelines for the moment.

Sounds to me you hang around R/E agents too much..the spin must be making you dizzy mate

Please post anything but make it factual.

please post anything but make it factual.[/COLOR]

I am not buying anything else either but I believe there is still heaps of room for growth, would be shocked if it was not 25% higher in 18 months, has moved $50k already in last 2-3 months.

I got in at start of last boom and smells the same to be now! Maybe should not mention smell when talking about Gladstone but you know what I mean!

I am not buying anything else either but I believe there is still heaps of room for growth, would be shocked if it was not 25% higher in 18 months, has moved $50k already in last 2-3 months.

I got in at start of last boom and smells the same to be now! Maybe should not mention smell when talking about Gladstone but you know what I mean!

umm 25%, thats a huge call...........i cant see that honestly.

so if i purchased a property say for $400k today you are saying you expect it to run another 25% now after running up 300% the last 8 years??

in this market climate of uncertainty no matter what is happening in gladstone thats a huge call in my view.

ill eat my hat if that happens across the board in happy rocks

umm 25%, thats a huge call...........i cant see that honestly.

so if i purchased a property say for $400k today you are saying you expect it to run another 25% now after running up 300% the last 8 years??

in this market climate of uncertainty no matter what is happening in gladstone thats a huge call in my view.

ill eat my hat if that happens across the board in happy rocks

thats my call, time will tell.

i am not talking a house and land package, i would not buy one of those, i mean a unit for around $250k or a house under $400k close to town i am expecting 25% growth.

u have property there don't u? so the hat will taste a little sweeter if u r wrong than a normal hat!

I bought in Karratha 5 years ago and I was right. I moved to Gladstone a year ago to get a feel and from the research I have done I decided to buy there again. This is the largest export deal in the history of the country and will have a massive impact on property and rents. You sceptics are welcome to your opinion. Lets talk again in 5 years time.

60,000?

I'm going to have to agree with csc2 I'm afraid tonywwp.

Not even combining Gladstone, Boyne Island, Tannum Sands, Calliope and as far out as Miriam Vale would you get close to 60,000 people.

I'm with Bigtone on the 25 percent growth though.

My rents there are sky rocketing already and Santos hasn't even announced their investment decision.

If yields keep increasing at this rate, then there is no other option but for prices to be carried along with them.

Prices may have run up 300% in the past 8 years but the years before that were lean for a very long time.

Not sure it will reach Karratha levels but boy will I be hoping it trys!

Cheers

Rooster

Here's the stock on market picture for postcode 4680:

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_stock_on_market.php?postcode=4680&t=1

To those who are local and in the know or investors there with a finger on the pulse, are investors taking profits?

SQM Research is run by Louis Christopher and there was a regional spotlight on Gladstone in the current YIP mag. "As it's had a fast 13.4 % pa growth rate over the past 10 years, it may make the locality susceptible to a short to mid-term correction."

He goes on to say that whilst vacancies are very tight, the number of "for sale" listings has grown and that there are over 1000 properties (hence my question about profit taking) that have been on the market for over two months and that's just for postcode 4680. He reckons that it may be soft and in the doldrums for 2011 as a correction is unfloding although he considers that it is one region that will outperform in the medium to long term compared to S/E Qld.

On that basis, to my perspective as an outsider who doesn't own property there, the buying may be better next year to ride the next wave up. It's certainly got some exciting growth prospects.

I bought in Karratha 5 years ago and I was right. I moved to Gladstone a year ago to get a feel and from the research I have done I decided to buy there again. This is the largest export deal in the history of the country and will have a massive impact on property and rents. You sceptics are welcome to your opinion. Lets talk again in 5 years time.

umm tony, do you know how many people will be working at the project once its completed? not many mate...

it has nothing to do with being skeptic buddy, im a realist...your a spruker ol son...

the average punter will see right through your posts.

come back and post something sensible

umm tony, do you know how many people will be working at the project once its completed? not many mate...

it has nothing to do with being skeptic buddy, im a realist...your a spruker ol son...

the average punter will see right through your posts.

come back and post something sensible

I'm with you csc2.

Would prefer a good dose of healthy debate rather than a new poster, who happens to be a buyers agent in Gladstone, trying to drum up business.

I've noticed tony hijacking other threads with the "have you thought about Gladstone" line. Trolling for business is not on.

I do think the flow on effects will be brilliant for the Gladstone area.

While the construction work force will move on after completion, it will leave quite a significant core crew of operators and maintenance roles.

With this comes families and all the administrative roles as well.

The big plus I see is the chance to invest in our kids futures by the way of apprenticeships and traineeships.

Cheers

Rooster

Mmm... I have noticed tonywwp on another popular forum with a bit of incorrect info. But either way I am happy I have several props in Gladstone :))

Heres a perfect example why the media should not put garbage to print:

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2010/12/11/lng-project-curtis-island-skills-shortage/

There is no way in hell that the LNG project will be scrapped at this stage unless Gladstone is hit with a nuclear bomb....

Scaremongering at its very best.

Im all for development in the CQ region but stories such as this just add fuel to the fire...........

Zero chance of this being a reality, The State and Fed Govts wont allow this to fall over...they will allow workers world wide to come in and finish the job if need be...

The good ol Gladstone Observer!

They alternate the days between a positive story and a negative story regarding the LNG.

It seems to keep the debate lively in their letters to the editor!

If you are after a laugh you should read the various comments sections at the bottom of articles.

Rooster

There are alot of properties on the market in Gladstone, in fact I was extremely surprised at how many. While the rental market is tightening giving strong yields and there are many properties to choose from, I see this as an ideal time to buy.

I'm looking to sell off my investments in Melbourne which have had their great growth period, to buy another 1 or 2 in Gladstone.

SQM Research is run by Louis Christopher and there was a regional spotlight on Gladstone in the current YIP mag. "As it's had a fast 13.4 % pa growth rate over the past 10 years, it may make the locality susceptible to a short to mid-term correction."
He gives Gladstone 3 stars and a couple of pages later there is an article on regional hotspots that gives Gladstone 5 stars!

Here's the stock on market picture for postcode 4680:

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_stock_on_market.php?postcode=4680&t=1

To those who are local and in the know or investors there with a finger on the pulse, are investors taking profits?

my two cents is:

1, yes there is some profit taking

2, many people have been waiting for a turn in market so they can sell, moving, divorce, retirement, all sorts of reasons now market has turned they are listing.

3, some going for dream prices, i am seeing some properties that sold 4 years ago on for 150% above what was paid, probably won't sell but just trying

a few suckers who bought at end of last boom were in negative equity for quite some time, many of those who were waiting to sell probably can now.

also if u look at real estate dot com many are under contract and there is lots of new stuff u wouldn't touch, personally i think there is a small window to buy at the moment,

18 months ago when lease ran out tenants moved to cheaper place as rents had decreased, now they accept $50pw rises and beg to sign 2 years leases, that was the trigger for last boom

He gives Gladstone 3 stars and a couple of pages later there is an article on regional hotspots that gives Gladstone 5 stars!

Yeah, I noticed that also. In the scheme of things we don't know their scale for allocating stars. It's a little like Primary School, getting stars for neat hand writing. :p

I am more interested in their comments and rationales. YIP mag also has some glaring inaccuracies in distances from major capital cities in their articles.

Thanks for your input BT. Are you (or CSC2 or Rooster) aware what are safe minimum lot sizes for subdivision either as a splitter (battleaxe to put a new box in the rear) or as a two townhouse site for the future? What does council like to see as far as land sizes? :confused:

I tried looking for pdonline to get zonings, etc (like they have for Brissy, GC, Ipswich and other S/E Qld municipalities) however I don't think it covers that region.

Thanks for your input BT. Are you (or CSC2 or Rooster) aware what are safe minimum lot sizes for subdivision either as a splitter (battleaxe to put a new box in the rear) or as a two townhouse site for the future? What does council like to see as far as land sizes? :confused:

I tried looking for pdonline to get zonings, etc (like they have for Brissy, GC, Ipswich and other S/E Qld municipalities) however I don't think it covers that region.

I purchased a corner block on 868 sqm and zoned high density. I assumed, great, must be able to subdivide the corner block and put another house on.

When I spoke to the council prior to purchase, I was surprised when they said they would prefer that I didn't subdivide to put a second house on the block....then continued to say that they would prefer I put up townhouses or units.

Another property with the same zoning I saw put up 7 x 3 storey townhouses on approx 1000 sqm block.

I still need to investigate further but on this basis I expect to get 5-6 townhouses on 868 sqm!!

Houses with this zoning are commonplace throughout South, West and Central Gladstone, from around $350k upwards.

Great potential!!

Back