When to polish the floorboards

Renovating a very unloved rental property and have cypress pine floorboards under the carpet, underlay, masonite and old vinyle. We have ripped all that up and husband has spent days removing nails and staples.
Having a new kitchen installed after all the other renos so when she we have the floor boards done ..before or after the kitchen installation??

Kitchen guy says after, floor polisher says before???

Thanks for any advice:)

Do before kitchen installation but keep the floor protected until the final painting is finished and the kitchen is fully installed.

The kitchen is best installed before the floor polisher, The floor polisher just wants a quick in and out (understandable) but its no biggie to do when kitchen is installed.

Don't give yourself any hassles, get polisher last. The floor polisher I use prefers everything done (apart from final painting of the skirting boards).

Brian

I would do vinyl for the kitchen only, it'll be a lot better wearing and easier to keep clean for tenants and quicker and cheaper to lay.

I generally get in there before the kitchen is installed and do a rough sand, and then come back to do the finish sanding and sealing after everything else is done. Seems to work out alright

Thanks so much for your advice.
Will run that buy the polisher namtrak as that sounds good. The kitchen fellow assures me that they would lay heaps of blankets etc down if we have the floors done first.
He said if we went that way he would attach kick boards last so they dont get damaged

Brian do you not do the final coat on the skirting incase they damage them?? I have done and undercoat and glss but they do need one more coat?

Brian do you not do the final coat on the skirting incase they damage them?? I have done and undercoat and glss but they do need one more coat?

Leave the skirting s as is,if you have done it right,the only thing that will need to be done after the floor sander is a wipe and one more coat.Personally I would do all coats and then touch up where needed after.

We got ours polished after kitchen installation. Just leave kick boards and glamor panels off until after floor is sealed.

We had to do a few other things after the floor was polished (on the last reno) and it was a pain with tools etc.
Better to do floor absolutely last thing.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Will run that buy the polisher namtrak as that sounds good. The kitchen fellow assures me that they would lay heaps of blankets etc down if we have the floors done first.
He said if we went that way he would attach kick boards last so they dont get damaged

I would do just do the first two coats then do a final once the sander has finished.

Brian

Renovating a very unloved rental property and have cypress pine floorboards under the carpet, underlay, masonite and old vinyle. We have ripped all that up and husband has spent days removing nails and staples.
Having a new kitchen installed after all the other renos so when she we have the floor boards done ..before or after the kitchen installation??

Kitchen guy says after, floor polisher says before???

Thanks for any advice:)

when i have been asked this question the answer is .
get the floor sanded and first coat on then we will install the kitchen and the sander comes back for the final sand and top coat .
but sometimes i am talking to a brick wall and they get the floor totally finished before we get there with the kitchen to install ,i have a imdemnity form in the car for them to fill out absolving us from any damage that may be caused to the floor during the install and they must pay me up front the final payment before we start the install on the kitchen .
When i tell them this scenario as i am signing up for the kitchen to be produced you would be amazed at the change of plans to my way of thinking

Kitchen First.

You may get the fllor guy to do a rough sand first, but the kitchen should go in first. If there are panels lining the bottom of the kitchen cupboards benches then leave them off so the sander can get under and then put them on after the floor is finished.

ok thanks so much...floor getting sanded...kitchen going in minus the kick boards then the floor finished then the kick boards put on.
When I work out how to upload pictures of before and after i will.
Thanks to all who answered.

Back