Pine Floor Boards

Hi all :

Hope everyone is doing fine. Just wanted to get some information/help/suggestion from experienced members out here.

Last week I ripped off my old carpet( from living room and corridor ) and got floorboards done. The person who did it didn't lay any extra layer. It was just the wood beneath the carpet. The end product looks pretty awesome. I was told its pine.

Just wondering what sort of pine it is and what sort of care/maintenance/treatment I should consider for long term duration. I plan to rent out this property in future ( its my PPOR at present ). I have also attached few pics with my post.

Any information/help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

DreamzUnlimited

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 243
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 171
pine floorboards

Hi
Floorboards look like radiata pine in the pics,not used alot for flooring ,usually cypress pine(harder wearing) around this area anyway
Cheers
Damian:)

They look great. We are about to do ours which are cypress pine.
i have floor boards at home and i use a soft brush and a damp cloth..not wet with a wood polish on them.

Hi all:

Thanks for your replies. I am expecting few more.

So does it mean that this is not good enough in the long run and its better to lay another layer on top of it in future?

Expecting few more suggestion/info/help ....

Cheers!

DU

It looks like Cypress Pine and is a good product used in flooring. As for care not my area I deal in :).

Sanding of any floor board has its own issues and more so in older places ie 40 plus years old. The fact is you don't know how many times in its life the floor has been sanded, and each time the floor board is sanded a layer of timber is removed now the thinkness of timber that is removed will depend on the floor and any damage it has had removed ie deep gouges / scratches etc (deep sanding) or has its only been normal wear and tear (only light sanding).

The person doing the work (sanding) will have a bearing on amount removed as well.

If over time the thinkness over the grove in the floorboard is reduced by to much sanding the edges of the floor board will start to curl up (will look like little ridges in the boards). Once a board has been sanded to a point that the board starts to curl its time to consider over laying a new floor or another flooring option.

Your floor looks good by the way.

Brian

Hi all :

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the effort of all you guys.

However I am still not sure what sort of pine it is !!! Got different feedback from different people in this forum. So am bit confused :confused: !

Just wondering whether its possible to get some feedback about the type of Pine I have got.

Thanks

DU

Hi.
They look like radiata pine to me as well. If that's the case then it is very soft pine - easily damaged. Try ensuring that felt is put on the bottom of all furniture legs, don't walk in high heels on them, no sharp objects, etc.

Its Radiata.

Too soft to be considered a decent floor, but is used in around 80% of houses in Canberra because it is cheap. Particularly all those built between the 1950's and 1980's

I wouldn't do anything to it if your renting it out, just get it resanded and cleaned up when the house goes on the market

Next time you have them sanded, have a darker stain done. Light coloured floor boards have a lower value than darker boards. The sander you used is the best person to ask what type of pine it is :)

Back