Would you be annoyed or breach tenants for installing Foxtell without permission?

I'd just let them know that I was "aware" and that expect the equipment either to remain at the end of lease, or for any damage to be rectified.

I would breach them.
If you let it go they may get the impression that they can do anything to or in your property.
Its your property. You have a lease with conditions. Stick to it.

cheers

Personally, I wouldn't worry as tenants are settling in as long term renters IMHO Foxtel/Austar connection would be good for next tenant if they move out and should have been installed by a sub contractor.

Don't rock the apple cart.

Regards
Sheryn

If they are good tenants, I would let them have foxtel, this is a sign they are nesting for a longer tenancy, ( it will cost them to move foxtel if they want to move out).

i would serve them a letter requesting why they did not request modifications to the property.

i would also highlight in said letter that foxtel is a reasonable request however it requires alterations to the property which must be requested in writing.

in future, please provide a written request for any additions to the property, however minor.

kind regards,

your slumlord.

I would breach them.
If you let it go they may get the impression that they can do anything to or in your property.
Its your property. You have a lease with conditions. Stick to it.

cheers

When I breached my tenant for non payment of rent, the notice have her details of what she had to do rectify the breach - pay $xxx rent by xxx date.

What would you tell them to do to rectify this breach exactly ?

I know when I was installing satellite broadband, technically we needed written approval from the land lord. I presume pay TV is the same!

Needed for what ?

(just to be clear, I think tenants should tell landlords)
How about drilling holes through the walls, internal and external; insect entry, drilling through live power lines, drilling through water pipes and/or mounting a dish on the roof (always done wrong so it leaks all over the landlord's plasterwork)

and the lease says NO modifications, or if it doesnt why doesnt it

tell landlord ??
ASK landlord, or can I rent from you, I want a new window >>Here>> I have my own sledgehammmer

this should be common sense, written into the lease and enforced, tenants do nothing to the property without written permission

I'm firstly freaked that the person did it without asking - what's the person going to do next??
Secondly freaked that the property managers haven't picked it up and informed me.
I'm a bit worried about further damage, and stuff going unnoticed by property managers.

In Canada we were able to get the cable company to make good on damages, restored the steel roof repaired the holes in the wall

How about drilling holes through the walls, internal and external; insect entry, drilling through live power lines, drilling through water pipes and/or mounting a dish on the roof (always done wrong so it leaks all over the landlord's plasterwork)

and the lease says NO modifications, or if it doesnt why doesnt it

tell landlord ??
ASK landlord, or can I rent from you, I want a new window >>Here>> I have my own sledgehammmer

this should be common sense, written into the lease and enforced, tenants do nothing to the property without written permission

Sorry Bob,

I meant to say "ask the landlord" like my 2 tenants did, they asked me & I said OK and they got Foxtel professionally installed, so I thikn wee agree.

Luckily a Foxtel install is always done by Foxtel staff (this is all I was talking about, Foxtel, not windows or anything else), so any issue with the quality of install would be between the landlord & Foxtel not the tenant.

And no, you can't rent off me.

I'm firstly freaked that the person did it without asking - what's the person going to do next??
Secondly freaked that the property managers haven't picked it up and informed me.
I'm a bit worried about further damage, and stuff going unnoticed by property managers.

Don't sweat it! I've had tenants connect Foxtell at most of my properties. While I don't particularly like the fact that they do this, usually without asking, there is little you can do to stop them. Let them know that the cost is 100% theirs and that they are responsible if any damage is done to the property. Other than that, just accept that it's going to happen & move on.

Of course you would have been freaked out & I'd have been the same.....but now I've had 2 tenants install Foxtel (aboth asked permission first) and there has been no issue. I don't know why people would not ask for permission, but thtis is what people do, surprise us....

Would the PM have had any way of knowing ?

Sorry Bob,

I meant to say "ask the landlord" like my 2 tenants did, they asked me & I said OK and they got Foxtel professionally installed, so I thikn wee agree.

Luckily a Foxtel install is always done by Foxtel staff (this is all I was talking about, Foxtel, not windows or anything else), so any issue with the quality of install would be between the landlord & Foxtel not the tenant.

And no, you can't rent off me.

was a trifle exaggerated wasnt I,,
that was the point, hyperbole, but its a nice sledgehammer
So many **expletive deleted** tenants think rent means they can do anything to the property,
cable companies, in canada, now require the permission of the property owner in writing, not so bad until the tenant lies about being the owner. but we have one apartment with 3 sets of holes drilled right next to each other for three different companies, and the **expletive deleted** house has cable ducts installed so NOBODY had to drill anything
the coms panels in the basement look spaceage (1960s) & require a switch thrown to swap between any service providers for any apartment, it gets me **expletive deleted** off when some idiot drills holes through all that insulation (-20winters etc) for no **expletive deleted** reason

was a trifle exaggerated wasnt I,,
that was the point, hyperbole, but its a nice sledgehammer
So many **expletive deleted** tenants think rent means they can do anything to the property,
cable companies, in canada, now require the permission of the property owner in writing, not so bad until the tenant lies about being the owner. but we have one apartment with 3 sets of holes drilled right next to each other for three different companies, and the **expletive deleted** house has cable ducts installed so NOBODY had to drill anything
the coms panels in the basement look spaceage (1960s) & require a switch thrown to swap between any service providers for any apartment, it gets me **expletive deleted** off when some idiot drills holes through all that insulation (-20winters etc) for no **expletive deleted** reason

Who are you talking to ?

Do installers regularly install without property owners permission? Should I be annoyed? Would you breach them?

:eek: Breach??? Really???

Residential property investors should understand that their HOUSE is someone's HOME.... if they are good tenants, pay on time & generally look after the property, why on earth would you consider a breach notice for installing Foxtel?

You have a bond, so if the equipment doesn't stay after the lease and some damage is done removing it, keep the bond.... it is that simple.

If they asked, would you have said no anyway? I doubt it...

Back