Do you visit your starta properties in your leisure time?

I know plenty of owners (of multiple properties) who regularly do the 'sunday drive-by' ie check out the exterior appearance, dwell (in their cars) for a couple of minutes then move on.

Going into the common property is a bit over the top and totally unnecessary - yes it may even breach the tenant's quiet enjoyment (esp if it is self managed).

We self manage.
We visit our properties more often than we want to because we make the repairs, and clean up after vacating tenants, mow the lawns at some places etc.

Since we own 2- 11 unit apt buildings, we are in the common areas a lot.

Tough luck if our tenants don't like seeing us.
Actually they don't seem to mind, unless they are the ones we are always chasing for money...then they can't scurry into their apts fast enough :)

In reply to your original question ... I only glance at my IP's from the exterior "if" I was physically driving past on my way to somewhere else. I don't go out of my way.

On the weekend we sold two units via auction that I had never even been inside. Hubby went into one to sign the contract and that was first time for him.

I think he is going overboard, to much time and nothing else to do with his life - but - I also think you shouldn't park in the visitor carpark either.

Understood Lizzie. However, my issue is why does he pick and choose people to pick fights with...I don't understand that.:confused:

MsAli I can understand him getting uppity over parking etc if he was an owner occupier... every strata plan has their MOBB (meddling old biddy brigade).

But for an investor who doesnt even live there to travel there every day to go around putting notes on peoples cars and letterboxes, doesnt sound like a normal kinda guy.

MsAli I can understand him getting uppity over parking etc if he was an owner occupier... every strata plan has their MOBB (meddling old biddy brigade).

But for an investor who doesnt even live there to travel there every day to go around putting notes on peoples cars and letterboxes, doesnt sound like a normal kinda guy.

Thanks Dave...Not normal indeed. As others have suggested, we'd avoid parking in the spot and we'd be asking the strata company to please explain. Clearly, he has the guts to use a letter head from the strata company...that ought to be an offence.

Imagine if someone used a letter head from your business...what would be your course of action?

The only thing worst than a nightmare neighbour is a nightmare strata co-owner. Least he didn't:

- pour water on other co-owners' electricity box
- pop your tyres
- leak gas in to your house
- ring your doorbell then hide in the corner and hope you open

Seen all that.

We self manage.
We visit our properties more often than we want to because we make the repairs, and clean up after vacating tenants, mow the lawns at some places etc.

Since we own 2- 11 unit apt buildings, we are in the common areas a lot.

Tough luck if our tenants don't like seeing us.
Actually they don't seem to mind, unless they are the ones we are always chasing for money...then they can't scurry into their apts fast enough :)

My post's were related only to strata properties where we don't own the whole block but only one 1,2 or 3 units in the block.:eek:

Where we own the whole block we are onsite frequently and do police a lot of issues, amongst them the parking and particularly parking by visitors and simply people who think it's convenient to park in our properties.

Just an indication of happy tenants we have 52 rentals and have a turnover pa of less than 10%. This year has been a high turnover with 5 properties. Although one was due to my son occupying the townhouse. Other years we have no turnovers and we have very long term tenants- like 11+ years.

The tenants generally like us being around as they get things fixed fast.

We are currently experimenting with some CCTV as the council is cracking down on the garbage they collect and have actually removed 'inappropriate' garbage from the bins and put it to the side. Because these buildings are so close to the shops we get all sorts of garbage dumped in the bins - vegetables oil in big drums etc.

I wonder what sort of reaction this will have from the tenants. Will they feel more secure or will they see this as an invasion of privacy. I don't know yet which is why it's an experiment.

The point is that there are all sorts of intrusions into the lives of tenants and it's really whether the tenant sees that intrusion as an intrusion or simply something that enhances their security, their level of service or even as part of living in that environment.

Cheers

If I'm in the area (maybe(?) once a year, for local props) I might do a drive by of the place. More to keep an eye on the PM than the tenant - why hasn't the PM told me there's three cars on blocks in front yard?

I would never consider getting out of the car.

It's also a drive of the surrounding area. Is it changing?

My post's were related only to strata properties where we don't own the whole block but only one 1,2 or 3 units in the block.:eek:

Where we own the whole block we are onsite frequently and do police a lot of issues, amongst them the parking and particularly parking by visitors and simply people who think it's convenient to park in our properties.

Just an indication of happy tenants we have 52 rentals and have a turnover pa of less than 10%. This year has been a high turnover with 5 properties. Although one was due to my son occupying the townhouse. Other years we have no turnovers and we have very long term tenants- like 11+ years.

The tenants generally like us being around as they get things fixed fast.

We are currently experimenting with some CCTV as the council is cracking down on the garbage they collect and have actually removed 'inappropriate' garbage from the bins and put it to the side. Because these buildings are so close to the shops we get all sorts of garbage dumped in the bins - vegetables oil in big drums etc.

I wonder what sort of reaction this will have from the tenants. Will they feel more secure or will they see this as an invasion of privacy. I don't know yet which is why it's an experiment.

The point is that there are all sorts of intrusions into the lives of tenants and it's really whether the tenant sees that intrusion as an intrusion or simply something that enhances their security, their level of service or even as part of living in that environment.

Cheers

We also contemplated using CCTV at one particular building. This property does have a live in building super, but they can't see everything. Garbage dumping is also a big issue, because if it is not sorted correctly, they refuse removal.Even considered using "fake cameras"

Last year my brother and partner, who are PIs for an insurance company, requested to use our building as a stake out. We had a vacancy at the moment, and offered the use of an apt.
My brother and his g/f both were in uniforms, and we had some trouble with a couple of the current tenants. Other tenants who thought we brought them into the building for security were happy to see them, while others were downright rude to them. We all had a giggle.

Our building in this town does have a high turnover (mainly because we evict them) Many times they don't even know who we are.

Other apt building, they are always happy to see us, as we go there to clean the common arear or mow lawns. If they ever have an issue, we always fix it asap. I'd take renting to single people over couples/families anytime.

We have one property that we haven't (out of 40) been inside for over a year.When ever we are in the area, we do a "drive by".

Back