Slab or wood floor?

We're talking with our builde about a granny flat. Council has approved it with a slab, but the builder is suggesting a wood floor, which would save $3k. He would get the plans changed.

He's talking about a chipboard product, 19mm insulated Structaflor.

I'm wondering how that would be for sound, insulation (we're in canberra) and termite resistance.

Given that we would have been looking at floating floors, I'm wondering if a ply floor product might simply be able to be stained and polished. Or real wood for that matter.

Any thoughts?

Hi Geoff

the product you are referring to is

http://www.chhwoodproducts.com.au/structaflor/

It is a chipboard product and I have seen it sanded and polished. Not my favorite look.

I don't understand how a suspended peered floor would be cheaper than slab on the ground. Unless it is open all round in which case it could end up looking fairly cheap.

Insulation wise I would think that it is better with a slab on ground as the wind is not able to get underneath as it could with a raised floor.

Either construction types will have termite issues but with the correct termite system in place either system is fine.

With wood on the ground both construction will present the same sound profile with a hard surface like wood. The wood will be quieter than tiles.

Although you are past the design stage Nek had some good design ideas particularly by including more area under the main roof which later could be enclosed and Incorporated into the living areas.

Cheers

Thanks HandyAndy.

It's not my aim to have the chipboard product sanded and polished. I'd like to know if there is a product (perhaps a chipboard with a wood veneer?) which would be cheaper than putting down plyboard and putting flooring on top- although with the loss of some insulation.

The builder tells me it would be cheaper- I guess concrete is not cheap in itself. It is on a slope, so there could be a reasonable amount of filling for a slab.

Go with a slab mate it'll last longer and be threatened by less things (weather, bugs, etc). And at $3K i doubt that'll break your project.

For a granny flat I would go with slab and tiles over chipboard any day. And those wooden veneer floors look like rubbish imo.

Alternative would be a floating hardwood floor which would look better, but may not stand up to the abuse that a tenant is going to throw at it.

To have a timber floor, the footing design would change (ie from slab to bearers/joists/piers etc). The floor would need to be at least 300 mm above ground level (for ventilation). You would also need to install insulation under the flooring to prevent the loss of heat/meet Basix requirements).

if the site is on a slope you will need to cut fill and compact which is where the saving comes going timber floor.

if it is slab on ground you may also need to divert stormwater around building so it doesnt come in the backdoor. with timber floor can go under building

without seeing photos and knowing site access its hard to say what the real reasons behind him wanting to change it are. can you post some photos?

being in canberra i thought you would probably go carpet then a hard surface flooring for warmth under foot

Our GF right next door to a IP in Newcastle is on a slope and has metal piers, a standard suspended floor with cheap bunnings floating floor over top. The only extra insulation was that silver roll they sell with the floating floor. Seems warm enough, more than the IP anyway which has concrete slab floor below and timber floors on the second story. Then again the GF is vinyl cladded so extra insulation in walls as well as roof. Can hear some foot traffic sometimes though, but only if you are within 3m of the GF and someone has boots on.

Our Canberra IP just has a suspended Cyprus pine timber floor and its freezing in winter. But its a crappy ex-govvie and wouldn't have as good a solar design or insulation in walls or ceiling as the GF does.

I don't have photos handy, but there is probably about a one metre drop- that's with it oriented to the contour.

I like carpet in bedrooms but not elsewhere. We had carpet in family and lounge rooms and it deteriorated badly, especially with children.

with out being privy to the engineers details and the soil types in canberra you may need piers and beams everywhere also probably imported compacted fill under slab if your in clay. let alone the stormwater diversion

if its a granny flat in a backyard access to do the above makes it more costly again

its horses for courses if your building on a slope light weight construction is more suited

It is on a slope on very rocky ground. A big part of the expense for a slab would be excavation and rock breaking. A floor on piers allows a higher floor level and minimal excavation.

We've decided on the wood floor.

rough numbers but just fyi if its any help to you

$1500 in concrete
$350 in steel mesh
$500 couple of labourers
$500 excavation
+ Formwork

you could do a slab for about $3000 if you wanted

Does "Slump" in your name refer to slump test? Are you a concreter?

Agi driver.. I Just deliver it, make a mess and then leave..

I do the odd job/cashie but that's about it for concreting.
(Oh and alittle 650sqm driveway from leftovers ha)

Back